Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Squaw Ridge/Pardoe trail/ NorCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New 4Runner

I hope I make it to this one. I want to get some stuff for this truck but I have too many damn bills to pay off right now so it's gotta stay how it is for now. Do you think it would be able to make it on this trail in it's current form or should I just wait and pass up this event? The tires aren't very meaty on the tread.

I think my first think I am going after is my rear leafs though. They are saggy. I was looking at ome or alcan. I think the alcan's will be very pricey though. What do you guys think?

http://www.4by4connection.com/ifsrearleafs.html
http://www.alcanspring.com/index.htm

Last edited by chrismcdowell25; 01-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 AM

OME is good stuff but remember they will be super stiff when you get them.maybe to much . when i bought my 86 the rear end literally sat lower than the front because of the saggies. I did an add a leaf install and have not regretted it yet. I know a lot of people are probably rolling there eyes but the add a leaf was just what i needed.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John101477
OME is good stuff but remember they will be super stiff when you get them.maybe to much . when i bought my 86 the rear end literally sat lower than the front because of the saggies. I did an add a leaf install and have not regretted it yet. I know a lot of people are probably rolling there eyes but the add a leaf was just what i needed.
x2 what John said

I have not done the whole trail yet. My bro was totally stock when he went with me in his 86 runner, and he did not have vary good tires either. His runner did fairly well, with a little bit of challenge. He chickened out about half way through. There is a obstacle that is semi intimidating for a stock runner. He did have a little issue with his MC bumper scraping one time but that is what the bumper is for. Once or twice his fuel tank skid hung him up a bit. Im sure a stock runner could make with little or not damage to the bumpers. Spotting, straps or a winch from some one else with slow careful movements should work. even if you only made it half way and turned around, it is still fun and well worth it.

I forgot to mention that after the trail my bro's tires where chipped every where and were out of balance after the trail run.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 01-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chrismcdowell25
I think my first think I am going after is my rear leafs though. They are saggy. I was looking at ome or alcan. I think the alcan's will be very pricey though. What do you guys think?

http://www.4by4connection.com/ifsrearleafs.html
http://www.alcanspring.com/index.htm
i've got the OME dakar leafs and i like them a lot. that side there has them for less than i paid from trdparts4u. i think mine were like $300/pr. those OME shocks are also slightly cheaper too. i think i paid a tad over $900 for my OME package: leafs, ubolts, leaf bushings, shocks, steering stablilizer, bj spacers - basically everything in a 2" lift minus shackles and t-bars.

the new leafs will be stiff when you first put them on, but there are ways of breaking them in faster. i chose to ride around with several hundred pounds in the bed. won't be as easy for you with a 4runner, but i'm sure the top will help
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Chris nice runner. looks just like mine when I first got it. I would not worry so much about tread although it would be a help. first things I would do starting all over like you are. Lockrite in the rear, TG front bumper, TG rear bumper. both bumpers will run ya just over $650 ( they went up from last year) if nothin else i would get the lockrite first and maybe some cheap aggressive tread. this alone will get you into most places. i would get rid of the apron in the front. that will be the first thing to get tweeked. the rear bumper is super weak so that might work. if I am able to go and right now that looks good, then I have just about all the recovery gear a person could need. oh and add a leaps are about $100 a pair

Last edited by John101477; 01-06-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Chris nice runner. looks just like mine when I first got it. I would not worry so much about tread although it would be a help. first things I would do starting all over like you are. Lockrite in the rear, TG front bumper, TG rear bumper. both bumpers will run ya just over $650 ( they went up from last year) if nothin else i would get the lockrite first and maybe some cheap aggressive tread. this alone will get you into most places. i would get rid of the apron in the front. that will be the first thing to get tweeked. the rear bumper is super weak so that might work. if I am able to go and right now that looks good, then I have just about all the recovery gear a person could need. oh and add a leaps are about $100 a pair
x2, locker and the armor will get you the most bang for you buck. im going to be working on my bj spacers and then my armor next. the tcase is going to cost a bunch to get it installed, due to the drive shafts
Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Hey fairy, we have the #1 drive shaft people in the state up here in paradise. you should see what they will charge. they did some work for us but never custom shafts. very reasonable prices
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM

http://www.highangledriveline.com/
I think this is the one I was thinking of but I would have to ask my buddy first. it might be driveline specialties.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
x2, locker and the armor will get you the most bang for you buck. im going to be working on my bj spacers and then my armor next. the tcase is going to cost a bunch to get it installed, due to the drive shafts
I got my drive shafts all done for $90....got the rear done from Driveline Service of Sacramento for $60 with a 1 day turn around, and I made my own front for $30 in materials, it took a little time to make, but if you have the right tools it would be even easier.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM

Hey fairy, we have the #1 drive shaft people in the state up here in paradise. you should see what they will charge. they did some work for us but never custom shafts. very reasonable prices

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I got my drive shafts all done for $90....got the rear done from Driveline Service of Sacramento for $60 with a 1 day turn around, and I made my own front for $30 in materials, it took a little time to make, but if you have the right tools it would be even easier.
cool thanks for the info. I thought it would cost more then that, so thank you vary much.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM

I sometimes wish I was born into a rich family. Would be nice to just make the list and have it all. I am driving this as my daily driver so I can't go too crazy on it too fast. I might not be able to go much more than leafs tires and maybe a locker for quite some time. Plenty of bills to pay down before I invest too much into my truck. The add a leaf doesn't add any lift right?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the add a leaf should add lift unless your springs sag like a ma oo
Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

i am looking into some add a leafs, front ball joint spacers, and a rear locker. prolly an aussie locker.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by chrismcdowell25
I sometimes wish I was born into a rich family. Would be nice to just make the list and have it all. I am driving this as my daily driver so I can't go too crazy on it too fast. I might not be able to go much more than leafs tires and maybe a locker for quite some time. Plenty of bills to pay down before I invest too much into my truck. The add a leaf doesn't add any lift right?
chris I think we all with we were born into a rich family. If we were i dought any of use would be into yotas. I have had to wait a long time to do mods to man. All i can say, focus on one mod at a time and then save for the next mod. before you know it, you will start seeing your runner come into its own
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM

x2 what fairy said.
Chris, everything you mentioned here is weekend type stuff. Bills suck as we all know. one thing on tires is some places like Les shwab do payment plans on tires. I pay roughly 75 a month for toyo mt's well worth the cost when you figure I will get about 50,000+ miles out of a rough terrain tire. heck my dad has them on his F350 and got 50,000. add a leaf will raise the rear but it gives you a nice raked look. not overly so untill you take the top off. then it is a little high.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:06 PM

x2 what fairy said.
Chris, everything you mentioned here is weekend type stuff. Bills suck as we all know. one thing on tires is some places like Les shwab do payment plans on tires. I pay roughly 75 a month for toyo mt's well worth the cost when you figure I will get about 50,000+ miles out of a rough terrain tire. heck my dad has them on his F350 and got 50,000. add a leaf will raise the rear but it gives you a nice raked look. not overly so untill you take the top off. then it is a little high.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM

god my runner is sexy. I actually like the look pre slider but sliders are a must, specially since i am not all jacked up
Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

what bumper is that? trail gear or addicted?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 93yotaSR5
what bumper is that? trail gear or addicted?
It is a TG. I like the addicted as well but the cost of freight changed my mind. Both are extrememly close in design and build quality. I believe the addicted stinger is slightly lower

Quick Reply: Squaw Ridge/Pardoe trail/ NorCal