General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO power to system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by grousehunter 61
AK Wheeler, I thank you for you help but I am about to toss this thing, I have checked every thing I can and I am no closer then I was when I started.....I called the go to Toyota guy and have an appointment for next week. I have access to a car hauler and next Thursday it will be in McCall Idaho....

I notice that you are in Alaska, where about??? my son lives in Petersburg.......
I grew up in Petersburg, currently in the Kenai area. PM me for more if you wish
Old 08-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can believe it ,,it's running...... I have never ordered so many new parts that were bad. Setting here in the house I got to thinking, I tested every thing except the new ignition control module, I mean it's new why would you test it, replaced the new with the old and toy fired right up, Guess I should have tested it but didn't, don't these company's test these things before they ship them. I have been ordering from Rock Auto, but no more, done with them. I ordered a new fuel pump, no good,,,ordered a COR, no good, ignition control module no good I have ordered my last from them, and I am going to tell them so. Now I half to put everything back together, half the dash is in the back....
Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Good you got the engine running!

You found out the hard way that, in general, "direct-replacement" aftermarket parts suck and just because a part is new, does not mean it is good.

It does get frustrating when you think something is good, because it is supposed to work out of the box, and ends up implanting more problems.

Just as a side note, Rock Auto is just a parts seller, not a parts manufacturer, so they probably will not open up sealed packaging to test parts. That is supposed to be the parts manufactures' job, which seems to be getting worse and worse.

In the end, I am glad you figured out what the problem was.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by grousehunter 61
If you can believe it ,,it's running...... I have never ordered so many new parts that were bad. Setting here in the house I got to thinking, I tested every thing except the new ignition control module, I mean it's new why would you test it, replaced the new with the old and toy fired right up, Guess I should have tested it but didn't, don't these company's test these things before they ship them. I have been ordering from Rock Auto, but no more, done with them. I ordered a new fuel pump, no good,,,ordered a COR, no good, ignition control module no good I have ordered my last from them, and I am going to tell them so. Now I half to put everything back together, half the dash is in the back....
Originally Posted by old87yota
Good you got the engine running!

You found out the hard way that, in general, "direct-replacement" aftermarket parts suck and just because a part is new, does not mean it is good.

It does get frustrating when you think something is good, because it is supposed to work out of the box, and ends up implanting more problems.

Just as a side note, Rock Auto is just a parts seller, not a parts manufacturer, so they probably will not open up sealed packaging to test parts. That is supposed to be the parts manufactures' job, which seems to be getting worse and worse.

In the end, I am glad you figured out what the problem was.

I haven't researched this, but I have been led to believe that Rock Auto and many other discount auto part companies get their parts by buying out part stores that are going out of business.
So, picture what that means. Parts made by all different manufacturers, parts that may have been returned by a customer (they may have let out the magic smoke and sent it back as inoperative of just said they didn't need it "I never even plugged it in").
This is why thorough testing and following wiring diagrams is so important. Your control module was good in the first place and you didn't have anything to compare against when you installed the new part. Like, it gets power, it has ground but it doesn't send out power here when I tickle it there so it's bad. Then you put in the new part and tickle it the same and verify you fixed the issue. Even if it still doesn't start you then know there is power getting where it is supposed to, now on to the next theory. Test, prove or disprove, no guessing.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Going up to Moscow Idaho on Tuesday, I found a wrecking yard that has 5 or 7 Toyota's and they have the a/c heater ducting for a 92, should be the same as my 93, I hope. I also need a tail gate for my 1971 Chevy pickup, maybe he has one of those also. It will be 400 mile round trip but if they have the parts it is well worth it. Who ever got into the dash in my Toy just busted most of the attachment points along with loosing the duct work, it's had a rattle under the dash and now I see why.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It could very well be just old age and thermal cycling of plastic parts.

It gets brittle and seems to break if you give it a stern look

The Joys of the Mountain West I do miss it at times
Old 08-24-2018, 07:03 AM

Went up to Moscow and found the JUNK YARD, not a wrecking yard, there was stuff all over the place. He had a few Toys but they were scattered all over the place. Should have worn hiking boots instead of sandals. I did find the duct I was looking for and $15.00 later we were on our way home. I will have defrosters this winter!!!