Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Looking to replace engine. Suggestions/Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to replace engine. Suggestions/Recommendations?

Mornin' folks. First post, but long time reader.

I have a '95 4Runner that has a blown HG and due to that, a blown bearing below. After calling around, it seems that shops will either rebuild it or replace the engine entirely. Faced with this decision and seeing no huge change in price, I'm planning on upgrading to a 3.4. I have no real mechanical experience, short of simple maintanence and some wiring.

Are there any reputable dealers in engines that you would suggest? I'm looking to get a reman engine. I've done my research and have a list, but no experience with any of them. I'm located in the Denver area.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO... paying someone else to do a "conversion" (changing engine type) is not cost effective.

DIY is the ony way to do a cost effective "conversion". Its still not "cheap" if you factor in all the nickle and dime stuff - and esp if you factor in "labor" costs.

Huge downside to the a conversion - its harder to get a shop to "repair" it as they cant tell what was "done". Just how was the wiring redone. Can you provided an updated FSM for the wiring alone (and not throw an FSM for each year at them)???

I dont like reman engines - they are usually done "cheaply". I prefere to get an engine built to my specs by machine shops I trust. If you "stay stock" a rebuild this way is not that $$ - certianly not LC level expensive.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM

I've looked over on the other posts about the conversions. Is it even possible? I'm going from a 3.0 auto to a 3.4 auto... Is there a wiring harness and will the engine mate with the tranny?
And to confirm, I'm going to need either a hood mod or an body lift, aren't I. If so, what are some good ones? I would just need 2 or 3 inches.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Erik,

While the 3.4 is an incredible upgrade from the 3.0, it sounds as though it might be over your head (no insult meant), UNLESS you have some mechanically knowledgable friends to help you out, when you run into problems (and there WILL be problems, no matter how much planning you do!)

If you decide to go for it, the Off Road Solutions conversion wiring harness will be worth its weight in gold to you (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/). Read EVERYTHING about the conversion at the ORS site.

There are more than a few of us that have done the 3.4 conversion around here, and we are quite willing to answer the questions that you might have, along the way.

Probably the definitive thread about it belongs to MtGoat:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/3-4-swap-started-82145/
There is a wealth of information there. Although a more involved project, it will give you a better idea about what you might be getting into.

My adventures with it are shown here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/finally-venturing-into-my-3-4-swap-dial-up-warning-93642/
Mine has a 5-speed, but you'll still get the idea.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go!

Raj

BTW, you will need to either do something with your hood, or body lift at least 1" (but I would recommend 1.5" as a minimum).

Last edited by breknraj; 06-04-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM

Thank you breknraj. No insult taken at all. This will definently need some help. I wish there were a machine shop in the area that could help.

Is there a solution to mating the 3.4 to the 3.0 transmission?

And do you have any suggestions on setting up a hood scoop?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Erik,

ORS does offer the whole project as a "turn key", if you like (they are in Arvada, BTW). Probably not a very economical solution, but Mike is a great guy to deal with, and I have no doubt that he would do a quality job for you.

Since I have the 5-speed, I'm not up on the issues with the Auto situation, But I think I recall the ORS site having information about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YT Erik, I agree with breknraj, ORS has what you want...they might cost you an arm & a leg but they wont disappoint.
btw, my name is spelled the same...with a k...wish more people would get it right! haha