Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Front brake job

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Front brake job

I changed the calipers and pads on this truck , 8/15/2016 and I just had to do it again, the outside pad was worn to the metal on the pass side, down to bout 3/8 inch on the outside pad on the driver side, the inside pads on each side had lots of meat, I also changed the flexible brake hoses this time. Now after bleeding the system 3-4 times the brakes are still spongy. Any input will be appreciated.
I have not had success downloading pics on this forum, but I did take them
Old 05-19-2018, 04:47 PM

The mentioned truck is a 87 toyota pickup
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
did you replace or reface the rotors? if the surface was ground up and rough when you put new pads on they will wear down quick. and pictures would help
Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Here is a pic of the old pads
Attached Thumbnails Front brake job-image.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 PM

Has anyone had this uneven wear problem?
Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 PM

It's hard to tell in this pic but the pads on the right , wich were on the wheel side of the rotor nave lots more meat than the inside pads
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Typically, uneven brake pad wear is caused by a caliper sticking.

Is your truck a two wheel drive or four wheel drive?

Did you use all new brake hardware?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by rubronthroad
I changed the calipers and pads on this truck , 8/15/2016 and I just had to do it again, the outside pad was worn to the metal on the pass side, down to bout 3/8 inch on the outside pad on the driver side, the inside pads on each side had lots of meat, I also changed the flexible brake hoses this time. Now after bleeding the system 3-4 times the brakes are still spongy. Any input will be appreciated.
I have not had success downloading pics on this forum, but I did take them
When you say "I changed the calipers and pads" do you mean you took some off of another truck or that you bought new? Looking at your pads I would guess the latter, because it looks like you have some pistons hung up and not working (on the pad that isn't worn) or pistons not returning (on the worn out pad). either that or you slapped them on rotors that were already ground metal to metal on that side and ate the pad because of the rough surface. The pads are the symptom not the cause, pictures of the rotors and calipers would be far more helpful since it doesn't take much imagination to understand what you meant in your original post about pad wear.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
did you replace or reface the rotors? if the surface was ground up and rough when you put new pads on they will wear down quick. and pictures would help
thanks ak, no did not do anything with the rotors since my ownership, 2008, hoping there are pics on here
Attached Thumbnails Front brake job-image.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM

That is the pass side with new caliper, pads and flexible hose
Old 05-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Thanks for the reply olds, my thought as well, yes put on new calipers, pads and flex hoses both sides, bled the whole system about 3-4 times, still the brakes are low, as mentioned, I relaced the pads and calipers, but not the flex hoses, about 2 years ago, I don't put many miles on this rig, so we will see how they wear this time
Old 05-27-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
When you say "I changed the calipers and pads" do you mean you took some off of another truck or that you bought new? Looking at your pads I would guess the latter, because it looks like you have some pistons hung up and not working (on the pad that isn't worn) or pistons not returning (on the worn out pad). either that or you slapped them on rotors that were already ground metal to metal on that side and ate the pad because of the rough surface. The pads are the symptom not the cause, pictures of the rotors and calipers would be far more helpful since it doesn't take much imagination to understand what you meant in your original post about pad wear.
yes I replaced with new pads and reconditioned calipers, anyhow yes the rotors are suspect, I will just see how it goes this time around and perhapes I will need to replace the rotors next time around
​​​​​​​ thanks for all the help
Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

both of my trucks are 4wd
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by rubronthroad

thanks ak, no did not do anything with the rotors since my ownership, 2008, hoping there are pics on here
Looking at your picture you can see the outside of the rotor is much thinner than the inside. That tells me it was likely ground metal to metal for a while and you probably ground off the new pads on a rough surface, also the outer surface of the rotor will now get hotter faster than the inside and that is why your pads didn't last. This is also why brake repair technicians measure the rotor thickness to see if they can reface them, or they replace them when they do a brake job.
This may have all started with a bad caliper (stuck pistons on the inside). All you really need now is new rotors and new pads (again). The only right way to do a brake job (safety is on the line here) is to put new flat pads on a flat rotor surface and you need to be sure there is enough rotor thickness left for proper cooling. if you put new pads on a grooved or ground up rotor you will not get full contact until the pad wears into the shape of the rotor surface and you will never get proper braking out of it. Problems can include: pulling to one side under braking, poor stopping power, poor pedal feel, squealing, grabbing, short pad life, brake fade etc.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 AM

Thanks ak, sounds like you know a lot about brakes, maybe that's why I can't get the brakes adjusted to where I want them. Right now I need to replace the passenger side steel brake lines on my 91( that's another thread)
thanks for your help Ak