Worn out, useless keys - YotaTech Forums

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn out, useless keys

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #1  

Worn out, useless keys

Last week I had to go to Toyota and have them cut me a brand new key based on the VIN (key code derived from VIN). I've never had to get a brand new key for a car in my life. Craziness. I've often had keys copied as needed, but never needed a key cut fresh from a VIN.

What's crazier is that I could've gone to a locksmith for this, but the manufacturer was actually far CHEAPER. I've never paid LESS for something at the dealership. The dealership is always more expensive. It's like the moon, Venus and Mars were all aligned with Earth and the sun shined on Uranus, or rather Myanus.
Brock Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #2  

yeah i am having that issue too... 1992 4Runner with a key that only unlocks doors & rolls down the back window on one side of the key. Who would've thought that the part that wears out on these Yotas would be the key? lol !
GO_BLUE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #3  

LOL! Run the Toyota key to the ground, and the truck keeps on running.
RAD4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #4  

Red face

Some people never lubricate lock cylinders metal on metal always wears.

The thing with cutting keys from the VIN on these older Toyota vehicles often times lock cylinders get changed so often your brand new key does not work .

Then my luck tends to be just like this.
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #5  

I wish they still had the lock set with key still available from the dealer.
se7enine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #6  

I had new keys made for both my '83 and my '87 at a local locksmith. Cost was $2.00 each. The new '83 keys work fine, but sometimes the new '87 keys won't unlock the steering column and I have to use the old key which always works on the ignition.
rickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #7  

Toyota only charges like 10 bucks I think, I just had to get one cut because the driver side door lock stopped working altogether finally so wanted to try a new key in the off chance it worked good enough. No dice. So bought an entire lock set, luckily it was only $279, I was expecting far worse. It feels like a new truck again, the locks all work like butter now!

But I agree, this might be the cheapest thing at the stealership besides free coffee in their lounge.
aa1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_BLUE! View Post
Who would've thought that the part that wears out on these Yotas would be the key? lol !
No kidding, huh? At least now I got the key code and I can get these suckers cut wherever and for much less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post
I had new keys made for both my '83 and my '87 at a local locksmith. Cost was $2.00 each.
My 94 Hilux key cost $43, but that's a Toyota branded key and supposedly a better grade of key and they had to look it up and cut it from the VIN and key code at Toyota. The new key works great.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #9  

I had a new set of keys cut at a locksmith, but they ran into a snag because one side was more worn than the other and they didn't know which was the good side. I told them the key works either way in all the cylinders, but he was concerned that a new cut key might not work both ways and asked if I could bring in a cylinder to help him cut the key correctly. I brought him the fuel door cylinder and it all worked out. I paid $12 for 3 keys.
CCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #10  

In the passenger key lock - there are to numbers stamped into or printed (not 100%) but the number your looking for is the one that starts with a 5. That number will allow the dealer to cut you a new key. It might solve your issue. Best of luck.

Hope this helps.
Hiddenforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
The thing with cutting keys from the VIN on these older Toyota vehicles often times lock cylinders get changed so often your brand new key does not work .
Right, that's always the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDave View Post
I had a new set of keys cut at a locksmith, but they ran into a snag because one side was more worn than the other and they didn't know which was the good side.
When getting new keys cut from the key code/VIN your old keys aren't involved. The key code itself tells the locksmith exactly how to cut the key so the result is a new key cut to within 1/1000th of an inch apparently. It's like getting a brand new factory key the day the vehicle was purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenforest View Post
In the passenger key lock - there are to numbers stamped into or printed...
I read that somewhere online also. But I didn't feel like digging into my passenger door for the info. Call me lazy. :-)