Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got new brakes yesterday - rotors worn out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got new brakes yesterday - rotors worn out

I had my pads replaced and rotors turned.
I think I got a good deal. I provided the Toyota pads, they installed them and turned the rotors for $55 OTD.

The shop said my rotors were right at throwaway specs.

He figured they would warp again very soon.
So I guess I will be getting rotors in the near future.

What is your opinion:

1) Stock
2) Brembo
3) Autozone or other cheap replacement
4) Slotted or drilled

I do plan on keeping my Runner for a while.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Check out gadgets site. He went back to stock rotors I believe after having issues with modified rotors.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with stock. Anything else will cause you problems. Trust me.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Churnd
Stick with stock. Anything else will cause you problems. Trust me.
Even NWOR? I thought they rocked along with their stainless lines.. Rob likes his.. anyone have some more input to this.. I was planning on NOT replacing my stock roters with stock roters but maybe I was wrong?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 PM

they may not last quite as long but i would look into getting some rotors from advanced, napa, or auto zone. most of those places sell rotors with lifetime warranties, so instead of turning them you just pull them and go back and get a new set.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by UKMyers
Even NWOR? I thought they rocked along with their stainless lines.. Rob likes his.. anyone have some more input to this.. I was planning on NOT replacing my stock roters with stock roters but maybe I was wrong?
I just hate NWOR for some reason. I have never heard a single good thing about them... mostly because they won't stand behind their products and when customers need to return something, they can't.

Even if NWOR sold a Supercharged 3.4 crate engine for 1 grand, I still wouldn't buy it. That's how much I don't like them.

I got good life from my stock rotors so I just decided to go with another set when Jroc and I did my brakes last weekend. I'm glad I stuck with Toyota brand, because now I can stop on a dime with no vibration whatsoever. Other stores might have good warranties, but with all the work involved in pulling the rotors... I'd rather go with the brand I trust. Toyota!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

IMO, the stock rotors are overpirced and no good. I have not had good luck with them and i take care of my rotors. I was looking to find something that maybe had better cooling i.e. slotted. Aslo, i was thinking about those OEM style brembos. They are a lot cheaper than the OEM ones.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

FYI, cross-drilling increases cooling. Slotting increases cleaning of the pads, because the slots bite into them more.

I was also looking at the drilled (and maybe slotted, can't remember) Brembo's, I think they were either under or right at $200 which isn't too bad (hell a set of rotors for my motorcycle are $500!)...

Does anyone know if warped rotors will increase pad wear? I need new pads but can't swing the new rotors just yet, so I was thinking about just putting the Autozone performance pads (aka rebranded-TRD) on for $35 and doing the rotors when I can.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
WT

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
FYI, cross-drilling increases cooling. Slotting increases cleaning of the pads, because the slots bite into them more.

I was also looking at the drilled (and maybe slotted, can't remember) Brembo's, I think they were either under or right at $200 which isn't too bad (hell a set of rotors for my motorcycle are $500!)...

Does anyone know if warped rotors will increase pad wear? I need new pads but can't swing the new rotors just yet, so I was thinking about just putting the Autozone performance pads (aka rebranded-TRD) on for $35 and doing the rotors when I can.
I put dross drilled ones on a month or so back I like them so far and they do have better braking power. After 2 sets of Toyo ones I figured I try something else, Warped rotors suck (under 30K a pair) .
Check out my PICs I have some of the rotors I put on they were around $200 for the pair, I also put the AKA TRD Perfomance frictions on at the same time. If I were you I wouldn't put new pads on before the rotors unless you plan to replace them again when you get the rotors cause they will cause the pads to wear wrong. Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Does everyone clean and lube the caliper sliders when doing brakes? This can prevent binding and rubbing, which can lead to premature warping. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:01 PM

I won't buy slotted or drilled rotors because they warp too easily. You get them hot enough and drive through a water puddle... bam, warpage. Also, I was told that pebbles, mud, all sorts of nasty stuff, can get caught up in the holes in the rotors, and they can get damaged that way.

For an off-road vehicle, I say you're better off sticking with stock rotors. Then again, if you have a lowered runner that you like to race and will never see a patch of dirt, maybe the Brembo's are good for you.