Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windows hard to roll up when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windows hard to roll up when cold

My 87' x-tra cab has bad rubber seal around the doors, where do I find new door seals?

Also, it's cold now, windows extremely hard to roll up and down, What is the fix for this? I have no idea how to remove interior door panels!

Thanks, Utah
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM

My 87' x-tra cab has bad rubber seal around the doors, where do I find new door seals?

Also, it's cold now, windows extremely hard to roll up and down, What is the fix for this? I have no idea how to remove interior door panels!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the seals you have to ask yourself you want the easy way or are you willing to do some running around to get cheap ones

Go order new ones from dealer, or check JCWhitney.com if you can order from them if available for you make model and year.

Or go to a salvage yard and get some good ones from another truck, but being that old and in your same area I bet there ripped also, the seals rip easily where there mounted to the door with the T clips, call around first to see if they have any 84-89 truck/4runners there, all the doors are the same and use same seal.

I bet the window assemblies are really gummed up from being that old and dirt dust and crap, a good cleaning and re-greaseing would liven them up, and the doors panels are easy to take apart, there is one screw holding the door handle trim, when you take out the screw on the dooh handle it will come off then there ia a rod attached to the door handle that is red I think it has a swival clip that hooks on the curved end rod and you just take your finger and it pops off the rod with little effert and there are 2 screws holding the arm rest on, and there is a horse shoe clip that holds crank on, do you have a Harbor Freight? if so go get there 4 piece door trim removal tools (gold color) and they have a crank clip removal tool, be carefull the clip will fly out when removed, and another tool to pop out the plastic clips holding panel to door , there like 4 to 5 inches spread apart all along three sides, the sides and the bottom, it's easy, take your time and do as I instructed you'll be fine :}

Last edited by john4wd; 12-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks..... I will try this!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Get a new window regulator. The gears get striped out and make it hard to roll up. Rockauto.com has them at good price.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Ya it could be the mechanical regulator too, great point, they do wear out, if he does the salvage yard for the seals if they have any drivers doors he can see how they roll up and down and snag a drivers door one that works smoothly.

He never said if he had mechanical windows or electric ones, so I assume mechanical ones...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM

ok...these are not power windows, good old-fashion hand roll ups. So what do I lube up the window lifter with.....Grease? Oil? Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Oh, and thanks for your expertise!!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM

im watching this very closely. i dont care about my windows bein a lil sticky, but when other people get in, i watch them put all kinds of effort into that poor little plastic handle without even thinking to help it out by pushing/pulling on the glass.

it is for the sake of my passenger door that i must learn this. thanks for having the same problem man, weird that its only cold right? when hot they are smooth. dont get it
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM

I went to this site (http://www.toyotapartseast.com/) and looked up the door regulators for a 87 xtra cab and there under a hundred and that isn't to bad and would be close to dealer price, I would just get a new one!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM

New regulators may help. In the meantime, you can try dribbling silicone spray down the channel that the glass rides in. This has almost always given some relief when I have done it. Pick a silicone spray that doesn't have a creepy, Liquid Wrench or 3-in-1 oil smell added to it.

Last edited by Keith B.; 12-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Fix

I had this same problem and can offer my temporary fix. The rubber in the window track had become worn and split inside the door, allowing the window to cock a little sideways and bind up when going up or down. I pulled the door panel away from the door and got to the split track closest to the rear of the door. I glued (with weatherstrip adhesive) the split rubber part back together and then glued and clamped it into the metal track that holds it in place. After putting it back together, it works almost as good as new and has held for a year so far. It's definitely easier and less expensive than a full replacement.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM

My plan:

Money not an issue. I will order new seals and hopefully refurbish the regulator. I will post pics if my son helps me out. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 AM

hi

whats the best way to lubricate the window seals? I tried wd-40 and it only works for a few days and they become hard again.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I would try some high quality silicon sprays or silicon grease...

Found on Amazon about revitalize rubber...

Silicon grease, such as Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-up Grease - 3 oz. or Fantasea Silicon Grease Lubricant, "for all types of O-Rings" not only revitalizes rubber of all kinds, but also has a wealth of other uses. And it is cheap, considering that one tube lasted me for 20 years. I just bought a replacement tube.

When treating rubber, rub the silicon grease into the rubber with a cloth, let it set for a while, and then and wipe off excess. It probably helps if the silicon grease and the rubber are warm. You may need several cloths, because the process also cleans oxidized rubber (carbon) from the surface. Several applications may be necessary for badly deteriorated rubber. Within reason, you cannot use too much silicon grease, and you do not have to wipe off moderate excess (except for faucets, water filters etc)---silicon grease does not attract dirt, and is not corrosive of plastics or electronic components.

If you are tempted to try petroleum-based oil or grease for this purpose: STOP---petroleum-based oil and grease DAMAGE rubber. I once ruined an expensive computer plotting machine by using "white grease" on a squeeky component---the fumes "rotted the irreplaceable drive belts. Petroleum oil and grease can also be corrosive of plastics and other petroleum-based items. NEVER USE PETROLEUM BASED OIL OR GREASE ON RUBBER PRODUCTS.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM

To grease them? Use fluid film thats the name of it ,google it to find where to buy,Also makes a good under coating for truck.