86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

questions on buzzer and rear window function

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on buzzer and rear window function

Hi all, couple of quick questions on the rear window functions. I've been driving the late 85 runner more often and noticed a few weird things that i wanted to ask about.

1. The rear window functions perfectly with the inside switch (key on). The rear window does not funciton with the outside key switch at all. The "window lock" button on the inside appears to do absolutely nothing. And here's the really weird part, the rear window inside switch does not work with the headlights on??! how weird is that. I can only roll the rear window down or up if the headlights are turned off?

2. cleaning out the inside of the truck i found a buzzer. searching under the dash i found where it plugs in...so i just did. What does the buzzer control? any reason to leave it in or leave it out?

Thanks all.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would take the cover off the inside of the tailgate and look at the wires for the lock switch. Make sure everythings connected and connections are clean. Pay close attention to the connector that is mounted in the middle of the tail gate. I would also check a wiring diagram and see if the headlight circuit and the rear window circuit cross paths anywhere.

I dont know that the buzzer does anything except annoy you. It has been removed from my 85 pickup for years and my 88 runner for several months with no adverse problems.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If you disconnect the buzzer, the dome light will not work from the drivers side. To disable the buzzer and keep dome light working below is what I do. By bending the tab and plugging it in with the cover off, you can sort of adjust the loudness of it.

Copied...
Just bent the tab out a little so as not to make contact. If you ever want to hear it again, it can be bent back in.

Here is the Buzzer Box under the Steering Column.
Name:  Buzzerbox.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  18.3 KB

Just bend the tab out from the bottom a little bit.
Name:  BentTab.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  20.1 KB

Here it is going back together. There are 2 tabs to the cover that I just pryed a pocket knife. Life is good now.
Name:  Backtogether.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  17.3 KB

Apparently this is a fairly common problem. What I found on different threads is that a lot of the door switches and buzzers get removed. This was as far as I had to go to troubleshoot. Also I did find that by bending the tab you can control how loud the buzzer is.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
If you disconnect the buzzer, the dome light will not work from the drivers side. To disable the buzzer and keep dome light working below is what I do. By bending the tab and plugging it in with the cover off, you can sort of adjust the loudness of it.

Copied...
Just bent the tab out a little so as not to make contact. If you ever want to hear it again, it can be bent back in.

Here is the Buzzer Box under the Steering Column.

Just bend the tab out from the bottom a little bit.

Here it is going back together. There are 2 tabs to the cover that I just pryed a pocket knife. Life is good now.

Apparently this is a fairly common problem. What I found on different threads is that a lot of the door switches and buzzers get removed. This was as far as I had to go to troubleshoot. Also I did find that by bending the tab you can control how loud the buzzer is.
That's weird, my dome light worked from the driver's side before i found the buzzer and plugged it back in. But my truck is a late '85, maybe they changed it up some? So far the only difference i can see is that the seatbelt light doesn't work with it off. The irritating part is I thought the buzzer went off of the headlights were on and the key was off but the buzzer doesn't have anything to do with the lights?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wasnt aware of the seatbelt light. I think the 92 and newer has a different box. I am not sure on the 85. I know I have removed it on 86-88 and the dome light did not work.

If I am correct, the Headlight buzzer is a brown box below or behind the fuse box on the kick panel. The head light buzzer is more of an option I think. I have only seen it on top line SR5 trucks.

I am fairly sure the buzzer box is just for the key. I think that is why I have diabled several of them as I got tired of it going off when working on a truck and the key was in.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I wasnt aware of the seatbelt light. I think the 92 and newer has a different box. I am not sure on the 85. I know I have removed it on 86-88 and the dome light did not work.

If I am correct, the Headlight buzzer is a brown box below or behind the fuse box on the kick panel. The head light buzzer is more of an option I think. I have only seen it on top line SR5 trucks.

I am fairly sure the buzzer box is just for the key. I think that is why I have diabled several of them as I got tired of it going off when working on a truck and the key was in.
Ohhh, there's two buzzers. ok that makes sense. I have a SR5 with the altimeter/incinometer but with no AC or CC so probably didn't come with the extra features.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

As I understand it, but could be wrong, AC was installed at the dealer and not at the factory. From the few 85 SR5 runners or trucks, options were kind of limited. Seems like 86 or 87 is when they really loaded them down. I have seen some SR5 trucks that just had a few options and were badged as an SR5 truck.

I have an 85 truck and installed the wiring from an 86 that had about every option you can think of. SR5 trucks really came in several different levels. Yours may have the brown box for the headlights. I would be intrested to know if your 85 had that option, I know the 86 had it.

As far as your tailgate, seems like there is some electrical wiring that may have been hacked up. I have seen numerous trucks with some kind of hack job on them.

Here is my links on #185 and #186 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51722787 for the tailgate. I am eventually going to get a wiring harness from 12voltguy.com if that is the correct link. It removes all of the safety and the relay box that eventually fails.

The safety switches cause alot of issues on these trucks for the back glass. I run a ground wire from the plug to the front mount. The rear console mount has plastic and is not grounded. I have never gotten the rear key to work. I just use the inside switch.
Running a ground wire from this wire on the plug, the blue wire to the place on the pic below elminates a lot of problems.
Name:  backhatch4.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  42.2 KB

Ground to center consloe mounting tab.
Name:  backhatch1.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 07-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by icentropy
1. The rear window functions perfectly with the inside switch (key on). The rear window does not funciton with the outside key switch at all. The "window lock" button on the inside appears to do absolutely nothing. And here's the really weird part, the rear window inside switch does not work with the headlights on??! how weird is that. I can only roll the rear window down or up if the headlights are turned off?
Problem related to headlight means something's wrong with your wiring.
How about if TAIL Lights are on? Same issue? if so, it's possible that there is a problem in the wiring that runs between rear window control relay and the tail light wiring. Could be a short between the two, or someone modified the wiring in the back.

I suggest you check that your rear window is wired properly and that switches work according to this post.

Watch out for broken wires in the flex connector (that offroadnutz mentions above).

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-14-2015 at 10:25 AM.