Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

thrown gauntlet

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thrown gauntlet

Well a challange has been issued. I very close friend with a 2005 Jeep Rubicon has challenged me to follow him up into the east mountains here in New Mexico. I need to point out that this is not a Jeep bashing thread, I'd love to have one but I can't afford that much on a vehicle. I'm sure most of you know the JR comes with lockers from the factory, a very low 1st gear and a nice 4.1 t-case. So here's where your help comes in.

I've got until July 1st to work on my truck to get it trail ready. From my other posts you all know I'm going with a 1.5" bj lift up front, a 2" in the back, 4.88 thirds with an Aussie in the rear and 33/10.50/15 BFG (haven't decided on mudders or all terrains yet) tires.

Other than that what should I focus on? My drive train is solid, I am planning on a complete fluid change in June though, and I have no issues with anything on the truck.

Thoughts? Advice? Should I just admit defeat right now and buy the case of Mt. Dew we bet?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have similar mods and i have outwheeled a stock rubi, but it also depends on the driver. are you doing a lot of rocks?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
i have similar mods and i have outwheeled a stock rubi, but it also depends on the driver. are you doing a lot of rocks?
Most of the stuff out here is either rock or sand. I'm going to have to say that the mountains are going to be 90% rock, which is why I'm leaning towards the BFG muds with some siping and aired down to about 14lbs.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Most of the stuff out here is either rock or sand. I'm going to have to say that the mountains are going to be 90% rock, which is why I'm leaning towards the BFG muds with some siping and aired down to about 14lbs.
yea you should do fine, do you have a idler arm brace?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its a fair bit of $$$, but lockers both Front and Rear are arguably one of the best upgrades you can do. Its especally true if you do not have the articulation to keep the tires on the ground at all times. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1eye
I know its a fair bit of $$$, but lockers both Front and Rear are arguably one of the best upgrades you can do. Its especally true if you do not have the articulation to keep the tires on the ground at all times. Just my .02
Dude's got a good point.

It's just one piece of the puzzle...but it's a big piece.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front locker would be nice but I think you can overcome that one. IMO the 4.1 gear is a bigger advantage, especially on rocks. If I had to choose $7-800 for ARB vs t case gears, I would go with the gears. If you have the skills to do your own install, the t case mod is an even better deal.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

My dad had a TJ Rubi. I outwheeled him, i.e. strapping him on Jaws 2.5 - Blanca Rd and he bailed on Moab Rim. So he went out and traded for a JK Rubi! I agree that a single Marlin T/C 4.7:1 with Aussies F/R is better for the money than ARB lockers f/r, IMO. Haven't had a chance to find the limits of his JK yet.

Several trails I've been on, I've been the only IFS rig out there. FWIW.

Last edited by 86Original; 04-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

i find it ironic that your 'friend' feels he has to take his 2005 rubicon up against an 86 toy p/u. for what its worth, i wheeled with jeeps from the time i got into this sport. some have been done up quite nicely in fact. other than m/t tires and manual hubs, my truck is stock.

there are very few places i cant go and ive hauled out several of my jeep wheeling friends. if you can get some gearing for the tcase, go for it. one tip, let your friend go first. that way if he gets stuck you can pull him out and youll know which way NOT to go!

depending on how much seat time each of you has had, will factor into the end result. good luck on this challenge, youll do fine.

lee
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by leebee
i find it ironic that your 'friend' feels he has to take his 2005 rubicon up against an 86 toy p/u. for what its worth, i wheeled with jeeps from the time i got into this sport. some have been done up quite nicely in fact. other than m/t tires and manual hubs, my truck is stock.

there are very few places i cant go and ive hauled out several of my jeep wheeling friends. if you can get some gearing for the tcase, go for it. one tip, let your friend go first. that way if he gets stuck you can pull him out and youll know which way NOT to go!

depending on how much seat time each of you has had, will factor into the end result. good luck on this challenge, youll do fine.

lee
Yeah I hear ya. This is the same friend that wanted me to follow him in my scout, that weekend he was "busy". He's a really great guy and a very close friend, I hang out there almost every weekend, but he's a die-hard Jeeper. His favorite quote is "if it ain't Jeep it's a car", so he and I have butted heads now and then.

Oh and he has to lead so he can get out and watch me "shatter my hot-wheel, bargain-basement, twenty year old, wanna-be 4x4"..... another quote.

I look forward to this and I'll be posting pictures.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
yea you should do fine, do you have a idler arm brace?

I have no idea that is! Do I need one???
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

im not sure if wabfab offers one for sale, might want to check him out. the idler arms tend to give you grief if you wheel hard, sort of the weak link on ifs front ends. see if you can grab an extra one from the local bone yard, if yours craps out on you while youre on the trail, youll have a spare you can install and carry on.

lee

ps

does his rubicant have that little 'trail rated' badge? i guess that makes all the difference!!

'badges, toyotas dont need no stinkin badges!'

lee

Last edited by leebee; 04-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I have no idea that is! Do I need one???
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1986-95.html
About 3/4 the way down the page. They call it a gusset not a brace. Right now you don't need one, but when you get the BJ spacers and larger tires the idler arm becomes a weak link in the steering/susp. Some have had fits with the idler, others no problems at all. At $50 it's pretty good peace of mind.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM

some pics of mine from another thread

Pics start at post #17
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/bj-spacer-question-58081/
Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 PM

yea ya need a idler arm brace you'll bend them wheeling hard in the rocks, if your are going to keep IFS look into the total choas idler arm www.chaosfab.com
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ilizer-140662/

Last edited by norcalsvx; 04-24-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is going to be interesting. I think I'd ditch the BJ spacer idea. I don't think 1.5 inches of extra flex is going to make or brake this competition. I front locker might though. What about this in addition:

front Aussie Locker
lower gears
33x9.5 soft and grippy mud tires
sliders if you want to keep the body pretty
beefed up gas tank skid
Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How hard trails are we talking here? Is he spotting you anything considering his rig is worth $30k and yours is worth $3k?

Front locker and armor will make it even.

Find obstacles where he's wheelbased and you're not FTW.

Oh, and the 4:1 case can cause as many problems as it helps. Find some mud and then see him get stuck because he can't generate any wheelspeed ...

Last edited by tc; 04-24-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 86Original
! I agree that a single Marlin T/C 4.7:1 with Aussies F/R is better for the money than ARB lockers f/r, IMO. Haven't had a chance to find the limits of his JK yet.
Off road, I'd agree with that one.

Better still? ARB's front and rear, marlin 4.7 case in the rear, stock 2.3 case in the front, and a twin stick.... 3 magic levers, 3 magic switches. Its like a carpet ride.

As for this competition. If you are serious, ditch all of the suspension mods. Put your money into lockers, gearing and armor. I advocate belly armor first, followed by front bumper, followed by sliders, and finally a rear bumper.

The gears and lockers will make or break this. Your tire choice of 33x10.50's is excellent. You have no need of a lift for that. They fit stock on stock wheels.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM

OK so here's my plan for Heep domination. I agree with Matt16 that the BJ flex won't be the deal breaker, but you will have a hard time getting 33's in there without them. Not impossible, but harder. Also, the 33's require new R&P setups. So...

rock sliders $135-150
4.7 t case $775 or $350 for gears if you can put them in
budbuilt crossmember/skid $250
rear aussie $250
31 inch MTs off craigslist $150-250
$1600-1700 total (maybe less)

My idea is to free up $$ for the 4.7 t case. The 1 inch clearance of 33 vs 31 inch tires isn't that big a deal, but you will need the armor and that Budbuilt crossmember gains you a lot of clearance too. You can run 31's without new diff gears and YOU can put in the Aussie without a new diff setup. So you end up with sliders and a crossmeber/skid that you will want anyways, the Aussie is re-useable down the road when you go the 33's, and you will have a 4.7 gear in your t case to boot with the $$ you save on R&P gears/install kits/setup labor.

And you can still get to where your original plan (which I think is a good one BTW) is going later as soon as the 31's wear out.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hard to put in 33's? What is hard about removing a piece of plastic, smacking the pinch weld flat, and replacing the plastic. Literally all it takes. The BJ spacers will make ZERO difference on him fitting the tires. They only add droop flex.

The 4.7 gears can be done by ANYONE with a set of wrenches, snap ring pliers, a hammer and a grinder. I did it in 12 hours, with a pretty major screw up in the middle. I'd guess 10 for someone who pays attention to details.

Quick Reply: thrown gauntlet