Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

starting problem. Does not crank.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting problem. Does not crank.

I have a 86 mt 22re. Replaced the clutch about a week ago. After we got the clutch in i started the truck up. At this point i was unable to get the truck to go into gear. We then bleed the clutch and i was able to get it into gear but only by forceing it into 1st and 2nd revere just grind when i tryed. It was late called it a night. Next morning i got in pumped up my clutch like 20 times started it up and was able to shift though the gears, drove it up the block shifted from 1st to 2nd and into reverse fine. I let it sit for bout half they day when i came back and tryed to start it it just spun the starter and i get no crank. Or at least it sounds like the starter is just spinning. FSM says if its just spinning its pinion gear teeth broken/faulty starter or flywheel teeth broken. I had been having starting problems before i did the clutch job. Now and then i would have to bang on the starter to get it to work. I pulled the starter last night and took it to a parts store and they bench tested it said it passed but sounded like ˟˟˟˟. Ill put it back on tonight and see if it works. The truck has a new batt maybe a month or two old i leave it unhooked when its not being driven. Any chance it would be the starter relay? Possible i put the flywheel in wrong? Clucth frozen to flywheel? Any help will be nice.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Starter contacts and/or plunger. If they are bad it's hit and miss if it wants to turn. Which also explains why hitting it works. As hitting it makes the contacts and plunger inside move around, eventually letting it "catch".

Cheap and easy fix. 4crawler sells them as well as your local starter/alternator rebuilder might sell the to you as well. DO not switch that out with a rebuilt or new aftermarket starter. The OEM denso starters are some of the best out there.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-10-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM

k im going to see if i still have a warenty on my starter its been in the truck for about a year now. So the starter could bench test fine but still have problems when its in the truck?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM

you are correct. Since the direct current from their test jig is applied directly to the starter, if those contacts are on the way out, they may act up when put into a real world system where there is gonna be voltage losses on battery cables. Not to mention that the contacts if loose from wear move around and can be hit and miss if they move.

Also make sure the small wire going to the starter is in good shape as well.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM

ok well i put the starter back in and i got click click click. Took like two mins but i got it to fire up.

Ok i didnt have time(actully no extta fluid or a helper/working mini vac) to try and bleed the clutch system. Got my mini vac working now ill grab fluid tommrrow. But i did pump the clutch pedal a bunch and after a while i was able to shift throw alk the gear. I did not move the truck just shifted while not moving but truck running. They felt rough but a few times it felt ok not great. Pedel does not feel stiff. Sound like i have a major air bubble? Leak in the system? does not look like im loseing fluid from the resivor, but it does look like i have moisture by the pushrod on the master cylinder.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Why did you put the starter back in knowing there might have been a problem with it?

your beating a dead horse with the clutch hydraulics, it will not cause your no start issue. You have another thread for your clutch issue, if I remember correctly and it should stay there as not to confuse yourself.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM

dont have the funds to get my self a different one atm. I know the clutch is not causeing my problem. But thats my more pressing concern
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your starter checks out it could be fine have you upgraded your grounds ??

If you have degraded contacts it would not spin with out engaging like you say it is doing .
Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by tbland86
dont have the funds to get my self a different one atm. I know the clutch is not causing my problem. But thats my more pressing concern
um, you don't need to buy a new starter. Just change the contacts and solenoids. Less then maybe $25.

When my contacts in my starter started going bad I had the same symptoms. Acted just like the battery was dead, it would either just click once and done, or it would rapid click. Smacking the starter would disturb the contacts enough to get them to touch the plunger and then it would turn and start.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-11-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by tbland86
dont have the funds to get my self a different one atm. I know the clutch is not causeing my problem. But thats my more pressing concern
Ha ha, "clutch . . . pressing concern". That's actually very good.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
um, you don't need to buy a new starter. Just change the contacts and solenoids. Less then maybe $25.

When my contacts in my starter started going bad I had the same symptoms. Acted just like the battery was dead, it would either just click once and done, or it would rapid click. Smacking the starter would disturb the contacts enough to get them to touch the plunger and then it would turn and start.
More like $8 and less time than it takes to pull the starter off the truck and put it back on. It's pointless to order the contacts online unless there isn't a local place for you to get them from since they'll be cheaper and you get them sooner. You can also get the plunger's contact flattened out and cleaned up on a lathe, my local starter shop did this for me for free. A replacement plunger is not that expensive either if the contact on it is toast.

OP: To fix the starter there are three screws that hold an access plate onto the back of the starter solenoid, unscrew the screws and remove the plate. Inside there is the plunger, pull that out and set it aside, you will see two copper contacts that are bolted to either side of the hole the plunger came out of, one will be significantly more worn than the other. Unbolt those suckers and chuck 'em at a sibling's head, grab the new contacts, bolt them in, slap the plunger back in, screw the cover back on, throw it in the truck and start like champ for another 10+ years.

Last edited by Magnusian; 02-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r

That's the problem. I put new contacts in mine 5 years/75,000 miles ago & not one problem since.