Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear window on a 89 4runner wont roll up or down

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear window on a 89 4runner wont roll up or down

Hi guys,

As ya'll well know I have a 89 4Runner. Well I am having trouble with the rear window rolling up and down... It rolls up and down when using the button located in front of the middle console but not with the key in the back on the outside of the tailgate... Its too much of a hasstle to walk around everytime to drop the gate... please help.

thanks for helping
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well your gonna have to pull the cover off the rear hatch as Toyota likes to call them.

Could be just a bad switch could have just corroded contacts .

at least you know the motor works.

as you will be working inside with the window up have a helper!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 AM

here was my rear window solution, my truck came with no rear window motor, no relay board in the back, and no switch. I couldn't afford to spend the money toyota wanted for those parts so I found a window motor from the junkyard and ran the wires straight from the motor, under the carpet, and into the center console. I then mounted a power supply in the center console and now whenever I want to put the window down or up I just touch the wires to the power supply, I know its not the best solution but I very rarely use the window so it works for me.
Attached Thumbnails rear window on a 89 4runner wont roll up or down-img_0386.jpg   rear window on a 89 4runner wont roll up or down-img_0389.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

His console switch works it is the key switch in the back that does not work!!:wabbit2:
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks wyoming9 we will check out the contact points this afternoon. And cdaddy112, wyoming9 was correct the switch works, the key in the back is not working...

thanks for the help guys
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Look at 4Crawler's website for the rear window
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

:wabbit2:
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM

My dad and i FINALLY got the darn thing to work, it was the wires had pulled out of the canon plug and we reconnected the wires and it now works like a charm...

thanks y'all
Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM

yes, another failing rear window

my 88 4runner is having the usual rear window issues. The switch in the cab was not working when i bought the truck so i temporarily swapped it with the antenna switch since I have an aftermarket antenna. When I use that switch I can hear clicking in the relay behind the drivers seat but no response from the motor in back. The motor DOES work, I was using direct power to open the hatch this weekend. works no problem. The windshield wiper in the back had apparently been a PITA for the PO so he jammed it up over the fluid nozzle to keep it from falling down anymore. The A bolt switch has been cut out and straight wired. The REAR DOOR light in the dash is almost always on, so clearly that is not helping my cause. I am curious as to How I can bypass that gate lock sensor and get my window to work. Id appreciate the help
Old 07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by acosta247
my 88 4runner is having the usual rear window issues. The switch in the cab was not working when i bought the truck so i temporarily swapped it with the antenna switch since I have an aftermarket antenna. When I use that switch I can hear clicking in the relay behind the drivers seat but no response from the motor in back. The motor DOES work, I was using direct power to open the hatch this weekend. works no problem. The windshield wiper in the back had apparently been a PITA for the PO so he jammed it up over the fluid nozzle to keep it from falling down anymore. The A bolt switch has been cut out and straight wired. The REAR DOOR light in the dash is almost always on, so clearly that is not helping my cause. I am curious as to How I can bypass that gate lock sensor and get my window to work. Id appreciate the help
Read the link I posted.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM

What it sounds like to me is the "too much junk in your junk" problem. But take the rear cover off and make sure every wire is plugged into something and nothing is broken. My problem was with the cannon plug it became unplugged. Hope I helped.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM

My window (93) would not work after I got it back after being rear ended.
I had a spare rocker switch to swap that did not work either? I jumped the wires at the back of the switch and the window worked? I ended up cannibalizing my stock switch and put in two small push buttons attached to the leads. One for up one down.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kody Ziegler
My dad and i FINALLY got the darn thing to work, it was the wires had pulled out of the canon plug and we reconnected the wires and it now works like a charm...

thanks y'all
FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:

The easiest way to test for a disconnected (canon?) rear key switch plug is to switch on your parking lights and see if your license plate lights work. Its pretty much a guaranteed test unless BOTH license plate lights happen to be burned up. Anyway, they share the plug with the key switch.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acosta247
The gate lock sensor just flashes that light. Nothing else. The gate LATCH sensor can be accessed by removing the inner-tailgate skin and finding the wire(s) leading to the left latch. But, I beleive that this switch is important worth fixing. Does your tailgate latch on the driverside? Close it and give it a good yank.

The hung up wiper might be another issue. The power window circuit senses where the wiper is at.... well, not the wiper but the wiper motor. The wiper motor might be stuck in it's cycle and disallowing the glass to operate.

You should really read the link posted by wabbit up above. Roger Brown has excellent advice regarding multiple aspects of the 1st gen 4Runner.