86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

noisy Zuk mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question noisy Zuk mod?

What is the best way to get rid of my boing boing noise going on LOL. My Zuk mod noises are driving me nuts while slow going offroad. Anybody have any experience with this problem and if so what did you do to get rid of the boing .......
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by lilgription
What is the best way to get rid of my boing boing noise going on LOL. My Zuk mod noises are driving me nuts while slow going offroad. Anybody have any experience with this problem and if so what did you do to get rid of the boing .......
for starters which Zuk mod did you do, yes, there are a couple different ways.
Can you post some good, clear up close pics of the top and bottom of the spring?
Does this happen at full articulation or under normal slow crawling with out much suspension travel movement?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgription
Cool that you brought this up because this will be my next project. I have a couple of concerns and I hope we could improve on this time-proven mod (THANKS, master- ZUK!)

Boinging Noise:
Spring snags on edges of the cut-off bumpstop, causing the noise. I hope Chefyota4x4, and duckie don't mind me re-posting their pics to help our fellow 4Runner owners:

Cutting upper bumpstops like Duckie did, can eliminate this.
Springs might pop out of the capture:
IF 12-inch ones were used. Possible solution - metal strip running across the spring end and secured to upper frame with U-bolts. I do not have an illustration, but if I come up with one, I'll post.
Metal-on-Metal Contact:

Eliminating spring-to-frame and spring-to-bumpstop bracket (bottom ) contact, will prevent unwanted wear, and help minimize noise.
Possible solution is using strut spring pads similar to factory-installed struts like this:

Actual implementation on Zuk Mod would be to:
  1. Insert rubber pad between spring and frame, and
  2. Putting a flat-donut around the bottom rubber bumpstop before installing spring.
Your thoughts?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

I cut my upper mounts short LIKE ZUK RECOMMENDS and I dont have any noise at all even at full articulation. Makes sense that cutting them @ 1" like he said would eliminate any issue of it "plucking" the spring. Also, even though there were some who disagreed, I feel that the 14" 100psi spring works best in all applications because it gives enough spring movement AND enough heighth to keep it under pressure when articulated.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
and then....there is the NO-CUT method...which we did https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-turn-251897/
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

I should have stated that I used the cut method. My bad. I did leave my bumpstop a little long for fear of popping out spring. I used the 14's because I didn't know how much lift I might have needed on my truck. I do have them cut down to 12's. I think my best and easiest solution is to cut bumpstop more and use a u -bolt like mentioned before to secure it. Has anyone had trouble popping one out with the bumpstop cut so short. I don't wheel this truck hard but I do use it regularly for hunting and fishing. Any input is appreciated
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Talking

Well I cut my bumpstops down to about 1-1/4 . Took care my noises. I do have 12" springs so I'll let you know if I have trouble with them coming out, but their in there pretty good