Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Another ZUK mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ZUK mod thread

I finished my ZUK coil mod today, weldless. I didn't take pics along the way, but I have some old before, and new after pics, as well as some pics of the works.

Before:

After:

Only a small bit of lift, but 6" shackles are also on the way soon. It rides ways better than before. I did the method of cutting the upper bumpstops way down, and some brisk swerving and curb jumping did nothing to dislodge them. They also did not make any noise all day.

Cheers YT

PS. Zuk feel free to used my photos on your site, I'll get you more when I do my shackles.
Attached Thumbnails Another ZUK mod thread-img_1673.jpg   Another ZUK mod thread-img_1672.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude .. Thats a nice 4runner.. and in the second pic , whats up with the bumper looks melted..

I did this mod with some fleamarket springs , and i have a slight rattle ,vibration coming from the whole center part of the springs . Like when you tapa crystal glass it vibrates for a while , well that same effect from the springs at every bump.

do yours do this , if not i need to get the good springs .
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
Dude .. Thats a nice 4runner.. and in the second pic , whats up with the bumper looks melted..

I did this mod with some fleamarket springs , and i have a slight rattle ,vibration coming from the whole center part of the springs . Like when you tapa crystal glass it vibrates for a while , well that same effect from the springs at every bump.

do yours do this , if not i need to get the good springs .
Lol, the bumper was fubar by one of the POs, looks like he backed into something. I get no noise what so ever. I drove from about 4 this evening until I got home at 8pm with no noises or vibrations of any kind. Like I said, I also jumped a few curbs to make sure it wasnt going anywhere, and still no out of the ordinary noises. Post up a pic of the set up, if you did a weldless, maybe the spring end is catch the tip of the upper bump and making that noise.

and thanks for the complimentson the truck.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
No I welded some mounts in there ,and its coming from the cenyter section of the spring . I tap them and they vibrate for a while , only the center section does this .

I have pics posted on here somewhere, ill see about posting them here also..
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
No I welded some mounts in there ,and its coming from the cenyter section of the spring . I tap them and they vibrate for a while , only the center section does this .

I have pics posted on here somewhere, ill see about posting them here also..
What are the specs on your spring? Mine are 14" 125lbs.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM

U never called me the second day!!!! i was excited lol it looks awesome. I hope we can go on a run soon
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 4Yoter
U never called me the second day!!!! i was excited lol it looks awesome. I hope we can go on a run soon
Sorry about that man. We ended up not working on it on Tuesday. I got home too late from doing errands with the SO. Craig came bu this morning a little after ten and we knocked it out by about 12:30. The next local run far enough ahead I will be attending, just have to have enough notice to request it off.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
NICE, Duckie! I couldn't resist reviving this 8 month old thread. I like the way you cut the upper steel stopper down so no edges get caught on the coil. I agree that's the reason yours are quiet. I might have to at least link this thread to my page. Don't take the pics down.
You must have had 4 inch blocks in there before and that's why I don't notice much lift.
So when are you going to give this a go?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-leaf-225251/
ZUK

Did you end up putting on the 6" shackles?

Last edited by ZUK; 12-10-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM

hoping to get my locker installed tomorrow and then it'll be this little mod here. my rear end sags, hard.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Thumbs up Wicked job

Hey Duckie, Thanks for this thread, and more so, thanks Zuk for linking to it, otherwise i never would have found it. I was in the middle of the mod when I hit a wall of not being able to actually bend the upper bumpstops out wide enough to fit the spring in. I actually went be to read some more to figure my way out of this one when I happened to see your shallow upper mounts that fit great.

So out came the grinder and in went the springs. Once I figured this out, I spent less time from that step onward thank it took me banging my head on my fender trying to bend those damn bumpstops. hahaha

Thanks! Truck looks great! I'll hopefully link some photos soon.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by BC4runner88
Hey Duckie, Thanks for this thread, and more so, thanks Zuk for linking to it, otherwise i never would have found it. I was in the middle of the mod when I hit a wall of not being able to actually bend the upper bumpstops out wide enough to fit the spring in. I actually went be to read some more to figure my way out of this one when I happened to see your shallow upper mounts that fit great.

So out came the grinder and in went the springs. Once I figured this out, I spent less time from that step onward thank it took me banging my head on my fender trying to bend those damn bumpstops. hahaha

Thanks! Truck looks great! I'll hopefully link some photos soon.
Very good BC.... Did you also notice that when the steel uppers are cut short that the coil is so much easier to stuff into place? That even though it is much shorter, that the coil will not fall out even at full wheel travel extension?
Looking forward to pics
ZUK
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
ZUK

I added this thread to the lower left corner of my website.... http://gearinstalls.com/ I think I'll improve it by saving his pics because I think Duckie's link is definitely worth a save. I'll cut and paste the pics in this thread so even if Duckies' pics disappear, mine won't.

edit.... ok, just finished it http://gearinstalls.com/duckie.htm

I've got the day off today so now I can do a little thread work I notice Duckie is not a big poster on this site and only posts every couple of months...guess that means he must be out wheelin instead of postin

ZUK

Hey BC4runner88....let's see some pics of the new stance of your rig....along with a few of the coils underneath...from the spare tire's point of view. I'm really interested in if you cross up the wheels and the rear wheel is extended as far as it will go, if you notice that the coil is still tight under there and will never stand a chance of falling out?

Last edited by ZUK; 01-07-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Hey Zuk, sorry no photos. I couldn't get them done before i left on my road trip. But I can say that they feel awesome so far. Photos to come next week. I'll see if I can really try to cross up the wheels and get a photo of that too.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
ZUK

Hey Zuk, sorry no photos. I couldn't get them done before i left on my road trip. But I can say that they feel awesome so far. Photos to come next week. I'll see if I can really try to cross up the wheels and get a photo of that too.
Thanks BC....and Happy New Year to everyone
Old 01-07-2011, 06:58 AM
ZUK

I'll bet no one has Duckie's cell number? I am curious if he still has the nice looking black Runner and if the longer shackles have been added. If I knew his address, I could stop in next time I visit my buddies down in the same Tucson town. Based on the mountains that I see in his pics, it looks like he lives on the East side not too far from the semi-famous Ague Caliente Hill area.....close to my buddy near Reddington and Houghton

http://gearinstalls.com/duckie.htm

Last edited by ZUK; 01-07-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Finally!

Ok Zuk, here are some photos. I took her out last weekend to go play in the bush, and was amazed at the soft springy back end, it was great.

For the flex shots I drove up onto a ramp and used a floor jack to lift the ramp up. (Ghetto hillbilly version)

Closer

Compressed side, view from outside and from underneath

View of flexed side

Hope that helps. Once I was jacked up, I really pulled on that open spring and it didn't want to wiggle or move one bit.

And here is my playing with the new suspension.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM
ZUK

thanks BC-
Those are good pics. Thanks for doing that. I like the way you cut the upper mount reasonably short so that you don't get the coil twank noises. So the rear is about 4 inches lifted....the ride is amazing...and now what to do to the front to level it a little?
ZUK

Last edited by ZUK; 01-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Found some black magic 12" on local Craigslist.. Picking up today. Very stoked for an easy yet very effective mod!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
What Size springs? Wear on Lower Bump Stop?

View of flexed side

Hope that helps. Once I was jacked up, I really pulled on that open spring and it didn't want to wiggle or move one bit.
Thanks, BC4runner88!
May I know what size/rate springs you used?

Folks,
I got my 12-inch/125lb springs. Excited but still researching for a capture device to be safe. Does anyone notice any kind of wear or damage to the lower rubber bump stop from this mod?

TIA
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love the springs! they look 1000X better. love the bumper too.

Last edited by tinigunner11; 08-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.