86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No Start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start!

I went out this morning and had a little surprise when my truck did not start like usual. It did start after a few tries, and was fine for a while, but now I know there is an electrical problem. I already replaced the starter relay (keeping old one for sure). Perhaps the starter solenoid? That would be my next point, unless you folks know better. The starter sounds very strong, when it engages. It cranks really well. I have a new battery (01/2018). This problem came out of nowhere! Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexor15
I went out this morning and had a little surprise when my truck did not start like usual. It did start after a few tries, and was fine for a while, but now I know there is an electrical problem. I already replaced the starter relay (keeping old one for sure). Perhaps the starter solenoid? That would be my next point, unless you folks know better. The starter sounds very strong, when it engages. It cranks really well. I have a new battery (01/2018). This problem came out of nowhere! Any ideas?
Idea #1: Tell us what vehicle we are discussing, so far we only know it's a truck,
Idea #2: Tell us what motor is in it and what transmission, auto or stick?
Idea #3: Tell us what happens when you turn the key, not just "it won't start". does it crank? does it click?
Idea #3 Don't tell us you have a new battery, test the voltage and let us know what that is. If you don't have a voltmeter tell us if the headlights come on and if they are bright or dim.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
... It did start after a few tries, ...
Before it started, what did it DO? Nothing (no noise, no lights), click-but-no-crank, click-thunk, but no crank, tepid cranking, vigorous cranking but no fire, firing but not enough to run? Don't make us guess!

And I can guarantee that the next step will involve ... a multimeter. If you don't have one, waste no time, get one. https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-90899.html
Old 03-02-2018, 05:01 PM

Since you mentioned replacing the starter relay can we assume you turn the key and get nothing but a click? and you tried over and over and it finally started? Throw us a bone here! plenty of people on this forum want to help, but it get's frustrating when it takes 10 posts for the whole story to come out.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
What year Escalade are we looking at?

No start as in no crank (starter turns the engine) or no combustion (you feel, hear, smell the VROOM).

Sorry, my crystal ball is broken

O.P., aside from clearly describing your problem (put us in front of your engine compartment), put model-year-engine-transmission-trim on your signature like scope103, AKWheeler, and I have done.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-02-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Since you mentioned replacing the starter relay can we assume you turn the key and get nothing but a click? and you tried over and over and it finally started? Throw us a bone here! plenty of people on this forum want to help, but it gets frustrating when it takes 10 posts for the whole story to come out.
No, the relay has been replaced, and everything seems to work fine until I try to start. Of course, everything goes dead when I try to start, but as soon as I release the key (and the starter is done) it all comes back on. The starter just cuts out suddenly. Very strange. This is why I suspect the starter solenoid. It is probably wise to replace both.

1992 Toyota Pickup 4X4 extra cab, 3.0L engine.

Last edited by Lexor15; 03-02-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM

Pls see my signature...

No, the relay has been replaced, and everything seems to work fine until I try to start. Of course, everything goes dead when I try to start, but as soon as I release the key (and the starter is done) it all comes back on. The starter just cuts out suddenly. Very strange. This is why I suspect the starter solenoid. It is probably wise to replace both.
OMG How much more vague can you get?
"everything seems to work fine until I try to start. "What everything? How does everything stop working?

"everything goes dead when I try to start, but as soon as I release the key (and the starter is done)"... The starter is done dying? I thought it is already dead.
"The starter just cuts out suddenly" I thought it is dead and not starting.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 PM

I have a most excellent multi-meter, and am not trying to be vague, but this is troubling me! It is an electrical thing, as far as I can tell. I'm simply asking if anyone has had this experience. The starter sounds fine, if it engages, but then suddenly "poof". Perhaps it is the starter, but I doubt that.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I have a most excellent multi-meter, and am not trying to be vague, but this is troubling me! It is an electrical thing, as far as I can tell. I'm simply asking if anyone has had this experience. The starter sounds fine, if it engages, but then suddenly "poof". Perhaps it is the starter, but I doubt that.
voltage at battery post, voltage at distribution block, voltage at solenoid activation wire, voltage on starter terminal (both sides of solenoid, please).. While key is in start position.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 PM

12.5V on average. I did not test the voltage on the solenoid yet. Too much snow on the ground right now, and I'm not laying in it tonight!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
...it get's frustrating when it takes 10 posts for the whole story to come out.
This is the 11th post, yet, O.P still hasn't told us what year Escalade we're working on. That would help a lot.
And no, we haven't had experience with starter engaging then going "poof".

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM

RAD4Runner, I'm not talking about a Cadillac. Get your head around Toyota Trucks, or move on to some other site.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM

when I work on a Kenworth and the starter goes "poof" I look for it on the ground, then I check the cables for good connection. then I try to cross the solenoid to see if there is an issue with the ignition circuit
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Lexor, look at my signature, it says 1995 4runner 3.0 with an automatic. it leaves no question about what Toyota I have, it does not leave any question if I have done an engine swap or if I have the 4 banger or 3.slow or 3.4 or 4.0 swap, If you won't help us help you then you will just have to fix your own issues.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Gentlemen -

Lexor15 is relatively new to the forum. Let's give him a few minutes to get his "signature" set up, and to start thinking like he wants to find just where this electrical problem is.

Then we can start (continue) giving him a hard time. If necessary.

"Everything goes dead when I try to start" is the sign of a discharged battery (the current draw of the starter causes such a voltage drop that everything else drops out.) But batteries are never "intermittently" discharged. Instead, this could be a (intermittent) bad connection between the battery and fuses - producing a big voltage drop that makes "everything go dead,"

How do we figure it out? Yeah, the multimeter.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:50 PM

I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Gentlemen -

Lexor15 is relatively new to the forum. Let's give him a few minutes to get his "signature" set up, and to start thinking like he wants to find just where this electrical problem is.

Then we can start (continue) giving him a hard time. If necessary.

"Everything goes dead when I try to start" is the sign of a discharged battery (the current draw of the starter causes such a voltage drop that everything else drops out.) But batteries are never "intermittently" discharged. Instead, this could be a (intermittent) bad connection between the battery and fuses - producing a big voltage drop that makes "everything go dead,"

How do we figure it out? Yeah, the multimeter.
Thanks, Guys!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 PM

I already said the battery is new, and fully charged. Voltage is not the problem.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 PM

I also said I have a great multi-meter, and use it well.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 PM

If you know there is an electrical problem like your original post says then voltage is ABSOLUTELY the problem

Quick Reply: No Start!