86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Cam

I'm going to be doing a HG replacement (so you might be hearing from me often). I figured I'd go ahead and replace the cam to a more efficient one. Has anyone had good experiences with the 261 or the 268 from engbldr? Does anything else need to be installed with it, or can I just switch them out? Are the engbldr HGs just as good as the OEM ones?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM

engine rebuild

Originally Posted by langzaiguy
I'm going to be doing a HG replacement (so you might be hearing from me often). I figured I'd go ahead and replace the cam to a more efficient one. Has anyone had good experiences with the 261 or the 268 from engbldr? Does anything else need to be installed with it, or can I just switch them out? Are the engbldr HGs just as good as the OEM ones?

Thanks!
I have heard good things all over about Engbldr's products but have not used any so I will let someone else chime in about the cams since I have never used one .
I would go OEM but Engbldr is said to have a good HG as well but..............OEM
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a HG gasket kit from Ted and the quality was excellent.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 PM

i put both in two months ago. outstanding quality. just wish i could keep my foot out of it! bought his best head bolts too.
better check that timing chain and guides (mine was cracked with only 60K on it). i highly recommend his steel back guide/hardened pulleys/chain.
and you can't beat these guys for advice and guidance.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 PM

How did you notice the crack? Was there leaking? I figured that I would take a gander at the guides and see how much slack there was in the chain before I would consider the timing replacement. I'm already a little nervous about changing the HG that I didn't want to further complicate it with the chain/guide/cover replacement. I figure that if the HG goes alright, I'll have no trouble when it comes to doing the timing stuff.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM

How did you notice the crack? Was there leaking? I figured that I would take a gander at the guides and see how much slack there was in the chain before I would consider the timing replacement. I'm already a little nervous about changing the HG that I didn't want to further complicate it with the chain/guide/cover replacement. I figure that if the HG goes alright, I'll have no trouble when it comes to doing the timing stuff.
peak down in around the chain, driver's side. my guide crack was a couple of inches down. you can grab it a wiggle to see if it's intact. it's held with two bolts, so it was apparent.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Oh yeah, is the fuel filter a lot more accessible with the head and intake off? I'll probably want to do that to if I can.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without having the benefit of bieng able to go out and look at my truck right now, I would say that if you get the head off and all the EFI stuff--injectors, TB and plenum, etc., then it will be easier to get to the fuel filter. I doubt if it would qualify as a lot more accessible. I think the only way its easily accessible is if your engine is out.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fuel filter is a cinch if the head is off. Just hangs off the side of the block, definitely the time to change it. But really If you know how to go about it it's not really that hard normally.

22RE celicas, Now they are a PITA
Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, is the fuel filter a lot more accessible with the head and intake off? I'll probably want to do that to if I can.
Not sure, Maybe. Sure can't hurt to take a look. If the timing stuff looks like it needs help, do it. Its going to be alot easier with the head off and your more than 1/2 way there anyways. Now that said, I didn't do mine because I knew my bottom end was old and tired and my HG job was just a temporary "get me by for a bit" measure. But it was a lot of work. I'm no mechanic and I was flying by the seat of my pants and the internet and it went well. But I wouldnt want to take that all down again so if you have confidence in the rest of your engine and you have the dough, I would get it all done at the same time.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Targetnut
The fuel filter is a cinch if the head is off. Just hangs off the side of the block, definitely the time to change it. But really If you know how to go about it it's not really that hard normally.

22RE celicas, Now they are a PITA
a wise man targetnut. took me 5 minutes.
unless you want to spend an entire morning going through the wheel well.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM

damn...are they that bad? mines a v6 so i wouldnt know...since you have the head an intake off, how about you relocate the fuel filter...items needed: some hardline, tube bender...some fittings???? jus a suggestion, thats what i would do!