Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

nevermind the 4wd oddity, now ive got a real problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nevermind the 4wd oddity, now ive got a real problem...

so i posted yesterday regarding some wierd 4wd behavior, but that is now the least of my worries. I went to warm up the truck last night, went inside, and 5 minutes later went to jump in and go. Well, when I stepped outside I heard an awful squealing noise. Of course, it was coming from the 4runner. I quickly shut off the engine, and popped the hood, only to discover that the whole fan assembly was no longer attached to the shaft coming from the engine. The squealing was the belt getting good and messed up by a spinning pulley and another pulley melting my fan something fierce. Now, I had just gotten my water pump replaced about a month ago, after it had decided to crap out on me on a road trip. I had to goto canadian tire to get it fixed, because it was a sunday and basically it needed to be done. Well, obviously that was a mistake, because now my truck is sitting undriveable in the driveway. I will contact crappy tire today and basically try to be nice, but also tell them that they are to fix it and get my truck to the shop, because I am not paying a dime because some ass-clown at crappy tire forgot to tighten bolts. anyways, any ideas on how to deal with these monkeys? oh, btw, its a 92 4runner.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look through recent posts - there was a recent thread about this exact problem (the fan bearing - not the mechanic)
Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 AM

ok, so after reading that post you mentioned tc, it sounds like that is most likely the problem. anyways, 3 questions now. first, anyone have one for sale or anyplace selling them for prices that aren't rediculous? and second, how much work is involved in replacing it? im not the greatest mechanic, but im not the worst either. third, anyone willing to help a brother out in the calgary area? im new in town, and all my tools are about 800kms away. i also dont have a garage. suffice to say im in a no goood position...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 AM

*bump*
Old 12-02-2005, 09:21 AM

There is a place on 17th S.E called Yotaray's, Just over the bridge from Deerfoot. He will have the parts you need for sure. I'm in Ottawa at the moment so i can't actually help you out. But where Cambodian Tire is involved I'd look at them first, the bearing second.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 AM

well, upon closer investigation, looking at the snow where my truck was parked, I found some bearings. the question now is what to do. i dont have tools or a place to work, as both of these neccessities are about 800kms away. any good shops i can trust to not rip me off and do a good job in calgary that anyone knows of?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man. I am not sure of where to take it. whenever I have something like that I take it to the dealer - Charlesglen. they have been really good to me in the past with my runner, however I don't know what they will do for you because you want to only relace part of the assembly - right? I know the whole piece as sold by the dealer is really expensive. The dealer labor rates are the same (or $5 more) then crappy tire's rates. When I found that out canadian tire lost what little business of mine they did have. It is often cheaper to go to the dealer than crappy tire. shocks are cheaper, exhaust is cheaper, tire repairs are chaper - go figure??
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
What engine is this? If 22RE, I have replacement bearings for the idler pulleys. If a V6, you'll likely need to get the parts from the dealer.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM

im going to talk to the clowns at crappy tire. although i have lost all of what (little) faith i had in them, if they fix it for free then it might restore enough faith that i might someday buy a jug of windshield washer fluid from them somewhere along the way. they ain't ever touching the 4runner ever again. oh, and its the 3vz-e.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 PM

Yotarays can fix it as well. Really nice guys, at least my experience was.