Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Low rpm stumble after replacing fuel damper??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low rpm stumble after replacing fuel damper??

Thanks to this forum I have been able to track down and fix most of the issues of my new to me 94 4Runner. To fix the gas odor I had in the cab I replaced the fuel damper yesterday. I used new gaskets for the upper plenum, throttle body, and EGR. I took the opportunity why the plenum was off to replace my pcv (old one was clogged solid), put new ngk oe spec plugs in, replace any vacuum/booster lines that had cracks, and cleaned out the inside of the plenum. I had a hard time getting the new fuel damper to not leak at the joints so I ended up getting some new thicker compression washers and doubling them up with the old ones. Anyhow, I put it all back together, routed the vacuum and booster lines properly and now it is running a bit rough. It idles very smoothly and sounds ok, but it has a low rpm miss, like when the engine is lugging in overdrive or when you lightly apply the throttle. Here are my thoughts:

1) The new fuel damper is causing this, maybe because of the extra washers I used.
2) There is a vacuum leak somewhere (I tested and can't find). I am 100% sure the lines are hooked up right.
3) When cleaning the plenum some of the crud got lodged in one of the vacuum ports.

More info on the truck:
1) I recently put in new ngk plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap, the engine runs rough unless I advance the timing to about 25* tdc. The dizzy may be off a tooth and I will follow the procedure in the fsm as far as reinstalling it to make sure it is lined up properly.
2) tps is relatively new and i believe calibrated properly.
3) Timing jumps around a bit when using the light and I suspect I will need a new dizzy at some point.

Anyhow, sorry for the longwinded post. Any help would be suggested. After the pita of taking the plenum off I am a bit frustrated with the 3vze.