Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I've got the bug... any sub $100 Mods/Upgrades Recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I've got the bug... any sub $100 Mods/Upgrades Recommended?

Wanted to hear all your thoughts on what I should do next... I've got a terrible addiction to power and I'm loving all the mods I've done so far. A huge improvement over stock 3VZ-E.

I'm looking to do mods that affect throttle response and HP (or MPG's) that won't break the bank. I've got a monthly budget of about $100 for the cars, so when I don't have any tune ups or smog checks, I like to use it on upgrades. I'm up to date with maintenance with the truck (runs like a top) so I'm looking to upgrade anything that improves performance. Going off the three basic needs for combustion: fuel, air and spark, what do you guys recommend?

I've increased air flow with the 7MGE AFM mod (larger intake) and 3" intake, as well as a new cat back system. The only restrictions now on the air/exhaust are the throttle body and the front exhaust pipe, if at all. Would a 1/4" larger fabricated front exhaust pipe make any difference with stock headers? Any other air/exhaust improvements?

For spark, I have a new distributor (not by choice), performance wires and V-power plugs to spec. Anything I can improve there?

Fuel is lacking, I've got reman'd injectors from Dr. Injector (similar to Witch Hunter) and that's it. I'm really liking what people are saying about the Flame Throwers, anyone have experience with them long-term?

I'm open to any other mods that can be done for $100 or less. I don't have welding equipment, so that's out of the question (unless a muffler shop will do it for cheap?). Also, EGR/PAIR delete is not possible in Cali. So Yotatech, what do you think I should do next?

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 07-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
stash the $100/month for several months
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Indeed.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
stash the $100/month for several months
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Indeed.

x2
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM

What would I stash it for? Headers?

Also, I ran across an ECT mod on our forums, anyone done this? I realize it's not going to post huge gains, but is simple enough.

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/ect.html
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM

People will tell you to drop a 3.4 in..... But it sounds like you have an emotional attachment to the 3.slow. That's okay...its really not that bad of an engine.

You're at 283k miles so you're going to need a rebuild eventually. Doing affordable baby steps is not that bad of an idea. When you get around to the rebuild those baby steps will pay off and your motor will be all it can be. In the end you will probably have the same power as a stock 3.4 and spent the same amount of money as a swap. But like you, sometimes you have no choice but to improve what you already have.

That said...small $$$ money gets you small returns. But they will add up to something in the end.
- Throttle body
- You have a 2.25 exhaust but its only as big as its smallest restriction....so yes, change the front pipe.
- Send your injectors to WitchHunter Performance for a douching. That will probably be your most noticible improvement.
- Will an MSD Blaster coil bolt up to the 3.0 ignition? If so its cheap enough and easy to do. You can open up your spark gap a little too if you upgrade the coil.

And here is a secret. Get all the crap out of your 4Runner! Every 100lbs is 5hp.

In the end you didn't gain a whole lot, but your engine is going to be as efficient as it possible can be. And when you rebuild it you'll have all the mods ready to go.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM

It all depends on what you want out of your truck, admiralyoda is bang on with his statement about the rebuild vs motor swap. the 3.slow is prone to having issues but if taken care of can be a some what reliable. Not really sure how accurate your 20% increase in power is for the cat back design, that increase is usually only seen when everything is brought to a bigger size matched with intake upgrades just a little fyi. headers will benefit you for sure, throttlebody spacer could help with throttle response, more aggresive cams... the list can add up fast. Check out LC engineering they have lots of goodies specific to toyota trucks/runners.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Maybe I should reword that. Definitely not a 20% HP gain, was talking about MPG's.

Headers, cams, throttle body mods are all great... but a little too pricey for me. I can't justify dropping $500-$1000 on an engine rebuilt with performance mods when we are trying to save up to buy a house. The cat-back was the most expensive I've done at $275, but it's paid itself off in gas savings so was totally worth it. So unless dropping $500+ for headers magically bumps my mpg's up to 23 city to pay itself off (I'm being unrealistic on purpose here)... that's not going to happen.

I like proving to people that the 3VZ-E can be reliable and at least decent in performance. Granted, a 3.4 would be great, maybe I'll do it when my 3.0 dies. But until then I haven't got $2k to spend on it and it's my DD so I can't have it out of service for more than a weekend.

I'm mostly looking for cheaper, more creative mods that will tweak and modify things to run better or get better fuel economy. Luckily, I've got a gem of a motor that has not had any serious issues and not a single HG failure I'm aware of (was brought in for the recall I think).

I like the throttle body spacer idea, I'll look into that some more. I think I might go down to a local exhaust shop and see how much a fabricated front exhaust pipe at 2 1/4" would cost. I'm open to any more ideas people might have...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 AM

take your injectors out and mail them ti witch hunter get them cleaned and rebuilt its cheap and will be a noticeable gain for you, or look into flamethrower (user her on yotatech) he has a set of upgrade injectors that people have been saying good things about.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bbrideau
take your injectors out and mail them ti witch hunter get them cleaned and rebuilt its cheap and will be a noticeable gain for you, or look into flamethrower (user her on yotatech) he has a set of upgrade injectors that people have been saying good things about.
I've already done the reman'd job, helped just slightly. I guess my injectors were in decent shape before. I'm interested about the flame throwers though. Waiting to hear back on what people think.

It looks like throttle body spacer, flame throwers, and front exhaust pipe might be the leading candidates at this point.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
What would I stash it for? Headers?
The list is endless and in your control
Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...or-diy-198561/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...ake-heh-44379/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-mods-137507/

here are a few...
Old 07-20-2013, 06:56 PM

I guess the first real question is ... what are your long term goals for the truck?? DD?? weekend warrior?? run the Baja 1000?? 1/4 mile dragster??
heres some more go fast stuff for the 3vze:

http://doaracingengines.com/6-cylinder-engine-parts/
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM

well I forgot about the 100 dollar limit. so hotter plugs and 8 mm wires would also count
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM

It's my DD, but I take it up in the Sierras quite often. I don't like having to watch everyone pass me as I climb up the mountains . I'm not much of a trail person, just trying to get the most out of my engine.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM

i would do the crossover elimination mod and maybe a wide band o2 sensor to properly tune what u have
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 PM
RSR

Mandrel bent exhaust.
High flow cat ($100 for a couple months for metal over ceramic core -- a running rich 3vze will quickly destroy the ceramic core cat).
02 sensor.
Fuel filter.
Change your diff, tranny, tcase fluids to synthetics. And steering too.
Upgrade your lights for photon power.
Replace your heater and coolant lines.
Install an oil cooler.
Replace your vacuum lines.
Cold air intake -- if currently pulling air out of the engine compartment, you're not maximizing power.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 PM
RSR

My thoughts on headers/exhaust can be found in this thread (reflects bone collectors crossover mod link above and still waiting on bone collector to reply to that thread): https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f149...eaders-270353/

Last edited by RSR; 07-20-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM

So I don't know if anyone cares or not (don't answer that) but here's what I've done so far.

I put in a Flamethrower II 45k volt coil in and increase spark gap to .42. No real gains here but my old coil was cracking and was on its way out so had to replace anyway.

However, the Flamethrower injectors (not same company) from the vendor here made a big difference. It changed my power curve in that it no longer "kicks in" at about 2700 RPM but instead shows it at around 1500 RPM. Much better throttle response and maybe, just maybe, a few HP gains out of it. I can shift at 2200 RPM and keep up with fast California traffic with no issues at all. Definitely worth it, considering I sold my old injectors for $75 and only paid $45 overall for the Flamethrower ones.

Next on the possibilities? Some sort of seal that draws only cold air and still toying with the methanol injection idea. Throttle body spacer is snake oil and a waste of time.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM

What spark plug wires are you running???

Quick Reply: I've got the bug... any sub $100 Mods/Upgrades Recommended?