Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

crossover eliminator for the DIY

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crossover eliminator for the DIY

So as I am rebuilding my 3.0 I was looking at that crossover for the exhaust and I realized that I will really wanted to eliminate it so I searched long and hard for an alternative that didn't cost an arm and a leg and I could do myself. Come to find out there isn't one, I could buy headers for 500-900 dollars or go to an exhaust shop for 350-450 dollars and that was just out of my price range with the rebuild I was doing so I decided what the heck lets see if I can do it myself.
So the goal was to keep it under $100 and use off the shelf parts that I could find at my local napa. So that is just what I did. First thing I did was to cut the ends off the old crossover and weld a cap on the drivers side to cap that off pictured here
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-engine-iv.jpg
Then you cut the other one off and turn it 90 and you can weld a pipe on to that, I used two 1 3/4 tailpipe turndowns to get the right angle to fit past the passenger side firewall that gave me plenty of clearance for all the gas and brake lines, then I dumped that into a 2" 90 degree and then I welded a 2" tailpipe turndown into that and a 2 1/4 inch header collector on to that because I wanted to be able to break that connection if I needed to do any kind of service. Here is what the crossover looks like.
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-engine-v.jpg]
The reason I used the 2" turndown was because I welded the other 2 1/4" collector to the exhaust pipe coming down on the drivers side which looks like this
[crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-engine-vi.jpg
This turn down had the perfect angle to match up with what I needed so it worked perfectly. I will post more later as time permits.

Last edited by lonecountryboy; 12-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
welll...you should upload your pics to photobucket and copy/paste the IMG code..that way we can see the pics..lol

my exhaust shop quoted me abut $100 to redo my crossover..im gonna run mine under my tranny and go into a dual inlet and single outlet muffler
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 AM

sorry about that having problems with the upload. Anyway when it is all done it looks like this.
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-crossover.jpg
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-crossoverii.jpg
I achieved my goal of spending less than $100 and it only took an afternoon of farting around to make and it eliminates one of the biggest headaches of this motor. The reason the exhaust shop wanted more than $100 was because I wanted a way to unbolt the crossover from the main pipe so that was the extra cost, I just used a die grinder and sawzall to notch the pipe and the collector and welded them up. I am no great fabricator but with a little patience and little bit of thinking it was a low cost way to get rid of the crossover. Oh and here is a picture of the new motor ready to go in.
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4runner-enginei.jpg
Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM

niiiceee dude..lol

yea mine is gonna be bolt on..i wanna have the ability to unbolt it to pull the motor and such if i have to lol
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks, hopefully I will be able to fire this thing up this weekend depending how busy work is. Here is my runner while I am doing the crossover.
crossover eliminator for the DIY-4urnner-engineiii.jpg
Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM

you have a damn lift in your garage!?!?!?!?!?! I FRICKEN HATE YOU!!! LMAO
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

When I built my house 2yrs ago I left enough out to put a lift in, I am getting to damn old to be crawling around under cars.LOL
Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 PM

camo... so you're gonna run your exhaust under your tranny? have you ever pulled a tranny out of an older F350 where the exhaust is under the bellhousing? if not, don't. it's a nightmare. I think you should reconsider that, if you ever had to pull the tranny, it's another thing that makes the job more miserable than it needs to be. just my 2cents, good luck.

great cost efficient mod countryboy
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

i bought thorley headers, the pipe runs under the tranny, after i welded the y-pipes up i sat there and realized.... @#$%... that 5spd tranny swap is going to be a biotch now lol. wasn't exactly good planning on my part...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 AM

Thats why I put the flange in there, so if I had to I could unbolt that section of exhaust and it would be easy to pull out the transmission. Plus I wanted the crossover to be in front of the O2 sensor if you run the crossover all the way back behind the xfer case it will be behind the O2 sensor, I suppose with some more screwing around I could have done it but it is way to cold and I like the way this turned out for me.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lonecountryboy
Thats why I put the flange in there, so if I had to I could unbolt that section of exhaust and it would be easy to pull out the transmission. Plus I wanted the crossover to be in front of the O2 sensor if you run the crossover all the way back behind the xfer case it will be behind the O2 sensor, I suppose with some more screwing around I could have done it but it is way to cold and I like the way this turned out for me.
yeah my hat is off to you for a great DIY exhaust mod, i wish i would have thought to weld some flanges on my pipes.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM

exactly why i said my crossover will be BOLT ON........DUH..i've already thought long and hard about it guys lol
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice job. I am going to attempt something similar. How does that paint hold up on the exhaust? Did you just use engine paint?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 PM

tranny problems are ALOT less common than sayyyyy.....U-Joint problems...

mine is ran above my front driveshaft (for access to do u-joints, grease and such) and below my tranny, my tranny seems to be in perfect working order, so i'm not too worried about it....and if something goes wrong, i can very easily cut the pipe, no biggie.

Bolt on would be best though, just have to worry about it leaking.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
nice job on exhuast ..

but what i really want to know is how you were able to upload this clickable thumbnails to yotatech at 2 or 3 kb each and stilll have decent size pics show up ..

ive tried at the max 48 kb and the pics are still to small .
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM

I've been looking for a post like this for hours! I was planning on putting a little money into my exhaust and thought of your idea but wanted to see if anyone had done it all ready. How has this mod effected your high/low end power and fuel economy?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM

bump to the thread and previous question about power. Also, can this be done without removing the engine? I'm looking at the cheapest and easist way of fixing the crossover issue. I'd prefer to just go underneath, cap off the driver side, and weld in past the O2 sensor. I have removed all other emissions devices so I already run a good bit of codes.

Thanks. And the more pictures and details the better.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
looks good. Too bad this isn't california smog legal lol
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM

I keep seeing posts about this. What is the purpose of this mod?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
If you look behind the motor the exhaust from the passenger side crosses over to the driver side and then in to the exhaust pipe. therefore too much heat collects on the driver side of the motor right behind the head and causing head gasket issues and burnt #6 exhaust valves. this splits the heat and hopefully eliminating the HG issues. Its on my to do list for sure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crossover eliminator for the DIY