Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

anybody interested in 3vze headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
anybody interested in 3vze headers?

I was talking tonight to a guy who runs a small fabrication company here in Indiana about Toyota trucks. He has a 94 T100 4x4 3.0 so he knows the about the lack of aftermarket support for our trucks, and how we all want more power. He is also aware of the severe amount of heat at the #6 cylinder because of the stock exhaust system. His company mainly caters to the Subaru Autocross crowd. That being said, he would be willing to make a set of long tube headers for a 3vze truck, with a crossover underneath. Anybody interested in his setup? Price point would be 400-500. He wants to know if people want steel or stainless steel? Stainless would be more costly.

Can we get 10-20 people who are serious about buying a set of headers so we can make a run of these? anybody willing to step up? let me know of any questions I can answer.

Last edited by bone collector; 06-27-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as i want them i cant commit. But i do have a couple questions.
Is it gonna be built of the smaller frame pickups/runners? My guesse is t100 has more room.
Ive seen alot of headers. Never have i seen tube alum headers, manafolds yes.
Is he going to provide the egr and pair valve points?
Thanks for taking the time on this.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector
I was talking tonight to a guy who runs a small fabrication company here in Indiana about Toyota trucks. He has a 94 T100 4x4 3.0 so he knows the about the lack of aftermarket support for our trucks, and how we all want more power. He is also aware of the severe amount of heat at the #6 cylinder because of the stock exhaust system. His company mainly caters to the Subaru Autocross crowd. That being said, he would be willing to make a set of long tube headers for a 3vze truck, with a crossover underneath. Anybody interested in his setup? Price point would be 400-500. He wants to know if people want steel or 311 aluminum? Aluminum would be more costly.

Can we get 10-20 people who are serious about buying a set of headers so we can make a run of these? anybody willing to step up? let me know of any questions I can answer.
i would love them, except i want a true dual exhaust.. I want no part of a crossover I hate them for the life of me... the less heat in my engine or tranny area the less problems in the future
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM

interesting thought. I will pass it along
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Inu

Maybe the crossover could be more kit form? That way you fit it for your combo. Manual/ auto/ dual cases...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM

we were thinking it be in modular form, headers for a price, crossover for a price, possible cat back exhaust. and yes the headers would be for the pickups.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 AM

I would love a set as well, but cannot commit at this time.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 AM

I must apologize, the headers would be mild steel or stainless steel. Not aluminum. It was late when I wrote that, after a long day at work. I will edit that out. No takers??
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM

How much for shipping? I would be totally down if shipping wasn't to high. I'm over near Akron Ohio.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

If I had enough money, I'd be all over it because $800+ for a set of headers is ridiculous. But with school and everything, I just can't go and throw down even $400 for a set
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
RSR

Interested, but I'd like to do my whole exhaust for less $750 at 2.5 piping which will work for my next engine too, which those headers at $500 are still too high of a $ for this engine. I'm running it til it quits and then going to a 5vzfe or diesel. A lower cost plug and play crossover delete system using stock headers or two passenger headers would be a great option too -- most testing, as I recall, has shown minimal gains (3-5 hp) in headers, and I think most of those gains are probably from improved flow and heat (negatively affecting intake air temp) by deleting that crossover.

Last edited by RSR; 06-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Once i do my new cams, new gaskets all around, new t-belt, new clutch, i can do a set of these i dont know when that will be though becasue that clutch is going to suck me dry of money for a little bit
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM

bumpity bump
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 AM

I'm in long as the shipping is not to bad and must ship to Canada
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 AM
RSR

I'm still curious on a kit option using two passenger side manifolds or stock manifolds, and a prefab mandrel bent downpipe and Y crossover. I think going that route would give >85% of the hp and cooling gains of the aftermarket headers at 1/2 or less of the longtube headers cost.

And I'd think that single down pipe would have a lot less clearance/heat/melting various fuel lines/starters/floor boards/etc issues on the passenger side than the 3 longtube headers in the same space. For a single down pipe and going for cost efficiency, I'd think aluminized steel would be fine (recognizing that my factory downpipe appears to be aluminized and hasn't yet rusted through).

For instance, for Downey's full exhaust package, including headers, they advertised at +14 hp, and most say a full exhaust redo gains them max of +20, with (from all of my research, but if you have different/better #s I'd enjoy learning of them) 1/4 of that being a high flow cat, and 1/2 of that being a proper catback. So the headers you spending $500+ dollars on less than +5 hp (or 1/4 of the exhaust hp gains)... Primarily from my headers, I want my engine bay to be cooler and a crossover delete can accomplish this for much less money and two dual downpipes off of decent flowing passenger manifolds should give me at least 80% of the long tube headers' hp increase (+4 hp or losing just 1 hp) in reconfiguring the exhaust manifolds on the cheap instead of the more costly and complex long tube headers option... And a package option, mandrel bent, for dual single downpipes route off of factory manifolds (or two passenger -- I'm pretty confident passenger is a direct fit on drivers side) would be awesome. And I think most agree that when their 3vze craps out they're going to do a complete 3.4L swap -- and all the according performance and reliability gains -- for basically the same price as rebuilding the 3vze anyway... Hence my preference for minimizing the buck while still getting nearly all of the bang. Essentially, a practical budget option that would also have a clear distinction from other manufacturer's expensive, longtube manifold offerings -- definitely making it, I think, a fast selling item.

Bone collector -- something you'd even consider looking into?

Last edited by RSR; 07-11-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM

see what I can do
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 AM

in order to make the 2 passenger set up work you would have to at least make block off plates for the egr system that comes on the passenger side. That being said, Im not even sure that the passenger side manifold when flipped would even bolt onto the driver side head. I will do some investigation into this problem. wouldn't it just be easier and simpler to make a block off plate for the crossover on the driver side??
Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
RSR

Some folks on these boards said passenger bolts right up: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...37/#post942311

Yes, you'd have two block off plates on the passenger egr holes.

The reason I suggested passenger, is that it's design flows better (straight back instead of forward and back), and that by having two identical headers on the same engine that go into a decent Y pipe designed for flow (LC Engineering will sell their stainless steel one separate for $200 or whatever the difference in package price is between headers and headers w/ Y pipe) is that you'll have the same or very similar exhaust pressures/flow rates from both banks to the Y pipe. Probably playing in the margins however.

But yes, a blockoff on drivers crossover connection would be fine and definitely easier than removing driver and installing a passenger header. But to remove the crossover without taking a saw to it, I think you have to remove a manifold anyways.

My preliminary thoughts on an on the cheap and easy setup are:
1. Block of driver crossover plate.
2. Use crossover for passenger downpipe, just rotate and rebolt, (at least through expansion chamber or delete expansion and reweld with bend) as it's already heat shielded.
3. Get LC Engineering Y pipe (mandrel bent and optimized for flow) and weld flanges on to driver downpipe and crossover passenger downpipe at proper connection points. (My only qualm here is that the collector to cat pipe is 2.25" when I'd prefer 2.5", but it's straight pipe so can be cutoff and a 2.5 welded on at collector or keep 2.25 for now and just make the change after going 5vzfe.)
4. Install a 2.5 in/out high flow cat.
5. 2.5 inch mandrel bent cat back w/ high flow muffler to 3" tip. (I have not sourced mandrel bent cat back yet, thinking I'll buy some pipe and weld...)

-Supporting both the 3vze and 5vze I plan to eventually swap so I only pay for it once...

But if there was a prefabbed crossover delete Y pipe setup including block off plates, I figure you can sell that for $300 all day long. With or without swapping stock manifolds. (If looking for straight forward and easy, it probably make sense to keep it simple and leave well enough alone.)

But another benefit installing rehabbed used headers is that you could ceramic hi temp pain coat them outside and clean them out inside of decades of carbon for increased flow... They sell for $20-30 on ebay, so as a kit it might make sense.

Last edited by RSR; 08-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
RSR

Here's some pics of the stock setup:

Assembled:

Separated:

Driver:

Passenger:

Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 AM

Did anyone ever get around to building a set up using factory manifolds? Sounds like the way to go.

Quick Reply: anybody interested in 3vze headers?