86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Im seing blue, LED that is

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Those corners are from a Mk III or IV Hilux? did you get the indicators to work? or are they just corner lights? Cause i might go that way if you got the indicators to work.
They came off a 2nd gen surf out here in Okinawa, the 2nd gens had them before they changed up the headlights...i believe late 89 - early 91....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbrsport17
They came off a 2nd gen surf out here in Okinawa, the 2nd gens had them before they changed up the headlights...i believe late 89 - early 91....
Are you sure of that? Cause i also use a UK Hilux Surf specific website and i have never seen that, cause it could have been the PO of the surf you saw swapped it over from the hilux due to the fact the MK 2 and 3 fit the surf 90-95. just curious.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Are you sure of that? Cause i also use a UK Hilux Surf specific website and i have never seen that, cause it could have been the PO of the surf you saw swapped it over from the hilux due to the fact the MK 2 and 3 fit the surf 90-95. just curious.
I know they have them on Hilux pickups as well, but they definitely came stock on the early 2nd gen surfs...every 89-91 surf has corners out here with the blinker integrated into them, unless the owner decides to put the newer corners in there...willing to bet money on it...I dont use a hilux surf specific website, i am just here in japan so i see it day to day....uk and japan have different specs, so that might be why the website differs from out here....
Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, i see surfs everyday here too, but they're all 3rd gens + with a few 2nd gens. When i get my ARB bumper i will swap my corners so i can use driving lights in the indicator location on the bumper.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i wonder if anyone in japan ever spends money importing parts to make their surf into a 4runner??
Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wardriver
Tempting...these gauge lights are not dim-able though are they?
i have FULL dim abiltiy
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
SR5

Originally Posted by space-junk
i wonder if anyone in japan ever spends money importing parts to make their surf into a 4runner??
good question
well i know they import musle cars up their, they love them
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
good question
well i know they import musle cars up their, they love them
the most i see is they swap the surf badges for 4runner badges....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

With all the interior lights converted to blue LED's, as am planning to do this myself, how much of that blue glow is evident when looking from the outside at the distance?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A bit, but obviously not as much as white. The biggest pain the rear end, though, is when you try to read anything under a blue light. The only thing I wish I had done differently would be to not replace the dome lights with blue. I'll probably end up installing white reading lights for that stuff, since I would prefer a more focused, brighter light for that, anyhow.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't blue the best for retaining you night-vision?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

I dissagree Matt. i have reverse glow gauges that can change colour from blue to green or vise versa. Anyway when i use the blue guages it is VERY distracting and makes it harder to focas on the road where as the green is just fine cause its like the stock green.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Isn't blue the best for retaining you night-vision?
Both blue and red are better for night vision but the light wave length is different. Blue is a longer wave length so it can be seen farther away. That is why they use red on ships especially submarines is it will not carry as far.

Our eyes are normally attuned to the full spectrum of light (white) so using one end or the other of the light spectrum allows us to see things in under illuminated situtations more readily. Biggest reason most all police use blue lights they can be more intense and be seen farther away while at the same time do not saturate our eyes allowing for faster adjustment to low light situtations. Ever notice how when you pass a police car with flashing blues that you can see almost immediately after you pass but when I guy passes you with his headlights there is a momentary "blindness"? It has to do with the light wave length.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cbrsport17
the most i see is they swap the surf badges for 4runner badges....
And we tend to swap 4runner badges for surf badges makes you wonder why Toyota did'nt just call it the Surf here...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Both blue and red are better for night vision but the light wave length is different. Blue is a longer wave length so it can be seen farther away. That is why they use red on ships especially submarines is it will not carry as far.

Our eyes are normally attuned to the full spectrum of light (white) so using one end or the other of the light spectrum allows us to see things in under illuminated situtations more readily. Biggest reason most all police use blue lights they can be more intense and be seen farther away while at the same time do not saturate our eyes allowing for faster adjustment to low light situtations. Ever notice how when you pass a police car with flashing blues that you can see almost immediately after you pass but when I guy passes you with his headlights there is a momentary "blindness"? It has to do with the light wave length.
Another problem is that under red light red printing/map lines disappear and under blue light blue marks disappear.
This why while most general cockpit area lighting is red for night time there are warm white "map lights" w/dimmer switches located in most yokes to illuminate the maps on the pilot's kneeboard. It can be a major PITA when they are'nt there or are U/S.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
A bit, but obviously not as much as white. The biggest pain the rear end, though, is when you try to read anything under a blue light. The only thing I wish I had done differently would be to not replace the dome lights with blue. I'll probably end up installing white reading lights for that stuff, since I would prefer a more focused, brighter light for that, anyhow.
I was planning on doing blue in everything except the dome lights, which I'd do in white, since they're not on all the time and serve a purpose (like helping you read stuff).

I was also thinking of adding some extra's in behind the door handles and perhaps some shining backwards inside the heater vents. Not sure if that's easily pulled off though.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 AM

I would recommend bulbs like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...8746QQtcZphoto http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-1...5873QQtcZphotoThey are SMT LEDs and aren't quite class II LEDs, but they are a lot brighter than the class I 5mm LEDs that you find on most of these turn signals. Also, i have different units, but same LEDs on my truck, and they are BRIGHT, surprisingly.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
SR5

id love to buy them, however the turn signals in the japanese lights are 194
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Swansen
I would recommend bulbs like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...8746QQtcZphoto http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-1...5873QQtcZphotoThey are SMT LEDs and aren't quite class II LEDs, but they are a lot brighter than the class I 5mm LEDs that you find on most of these turn signals. Also, i have different units, but same LEDs on my truck, and they are BRIGHT, surprisingly.
Is the installation on these as simple as popping them into the regular sockets for the factory bulbs? Do you need a chip or anything to control the blink rate properly?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM

are the bulbs in side the dash wedge bulbs and how many do you need for every thing

Quick Reply: Im seing blue, LED that is