Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Im seing blue, LED that is

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you get the red w/ the blue on your speedo and tach?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good, Boostin.

I've thought about going back to green. I am not having any luck with the blue LEDs from superbrightleds...they start to flicker after only a couple months, and it's just one or two elements on the LED. It's annoying.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stuwy123
Pretty sure he has like a gauge cluster layover thing. It's almost like a white sticker that goes over the stock face and lights up on it's own.

Originally Posted by RobD
Looks good, Boostin.

I've thought about going back to green. I am not having any luck with the blue LEDs from superbrightleds...they start to flicker after only a couple months, and it's just one or two elements on the LED. It's annoying.
I actually went with another company, v-led's (http://www.v-leds.com/) the pattern seems to be a lot more even with the 6-wled type. I put it in this past weekend and has worked solid/well so far.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Pretty sure he has like a gauge cluster layover thing. It's almost like a white sticker that goes over the stock face and lights up on it's own.

I actually went with another company, v-led's (http://www.v-leds.com/) the pattern seems to be a lot more even with the 6-wled type. I put it in this past weekend and has worked solid/well so far.
Yeah, those surface mount LEDs are a lot brighter than the 5mm LEDs in about the same size package.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM

They work fine for about 2-3 months, then one or two of the LEDs on the bulb start to flicker, then dim, then die, leaving a very uneven pattern.

I might give those v-LEDs a shot when these ones go. Let me know how the lifespan is on those ones, if you don't mind.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM

i did something similar to this in my accord - it's pretty cool and it matches my radio now. I want to do it in the truck, but i doubt the wife will let me since it's her car. I was thinking white leds this time around, tho.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
"Pretty sure he has like a gauge cluster layover thing. It's almost like a white sticker that goes over the stock face and lights up on it's own."

That's correct- I bought the gauge cluster lay over kit on Ebay 3 or 4 years ago. It came with a selector switch so it could be lit in blue or green, as well as a dimmer switch. It was pretty easy to install.

RobD, I used the single-bulb blue LEDS from superbrightleds.com, with the wide angle light dispersion. They have been working for 5 months now with no flickering. Maybe the flickering/burnout issue is with their multi-bulb LEDs.

Aviator, see my previous post as to which light indicators would not light up with LEDs installed. I finally got the LED working on the shifter - I had a loose power wire under the console.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to get the flicker again from a couple of the multi-segment ones, but not as bad as the first batch that I bought. The only difference is that it's not as cold right now as when I had that first set, so I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with it.

I think next time, I might just get a set of Indiglo gauges.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My girlfriends is flickering a little, she has the same bulbs as I do.

Mine have been in for almost a year and no problems at all! Good ol superbrightleds
Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM

I like that look. I'll have to order some and swap min over. It'll be nice to have the heater controls lit up again. I'm also liking the cigarette lighter flashlight on their site, might need to get one of those too..
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I get an update on the lifespan of these leds?

I know jay said he hasnt had problems, anyone else?

And should i get the 5LED ones or the 1LED ones?

Last edited by Tubbyfatty; 07-18-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am looking into doing this conversion as well and was curious if anyone knew what size bulb and where the heck it goes in the driver side armrest for the window switch lights? I took it out and disassembled it but couldn't find where the bulb goes. Also, anybody ever figure out the size of the tranny indicator lights?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My heater bulb started to flash on and off pretty bad. Swapped it out. I havnt had a problem with any other bulbs.

It must me a wedge bulb problem.. my 194's are perfect..
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
I got my running lights from japan today

I added a LED, it has 12 projections, or 12 lights

In addition i did i full Interior LED conversion of EVERY LIGHT
cigarette lighter - blue
Ash tray - red
glove box - blue
light the shines on your Ignition switch light - blue
gauges - blue
heater controls - blue
Tearing apart the dash for the first time

cluster in my lap

looks really good!
for your #194s, did you get the 90-degree or 120-degree one?

I myself did a swap on those with white ones I got from local shop but they're not as uniform in the brightness.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Attached is a pic of the back of my gauge cluster, showing which size LEDs are needed, where, and how many. After 13 months, mine still look fine, with no flickering. The dispersion could be better, but I used the single buld LEDs with wide light dispersion, not the multibulb LEDs. I'd recommend the multibulbs LEDs instead.

airkewld4life, my tranny (gear) indicator near the shifter uses 1 #74 LED bulb. Those are the tiny ones. The tranny temp indicator on the dash also takes a # 74, but I couldn't get an LED to work in that socket, so I kept the stock bulb in place. Ditto for the battery indicator light on the dash. I have no idea on the bulb # for the window switches; I believe an unsual size light source is soldered into those windows switches. For my rig, I decided that changing the window switch's color, (or the clock, ECT button, rear widow heater switch, or hazard button) was more trouble that it's worth.
Attached Thumbnails Im seing blue, LED that is-rear-dash-gauges-labeled-95.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by wiseguymmiv
Attached is a pic of the back of my gauge cluster, showing which size LEDs are needed, where, and how many. After 13 months, mine still look fine, with no flickering. The dispersion could be better, but I used the single buld LEDs with wide light dispersion, not the multibulb LEDs. I'd recommend the multibulbs LEDs instead.

airkewld4life, my tranny (gear) indicator near the shifter uses 1 #74 LED bulb. Those are the tiny ones. The tranny temp indicator on the dash also takes a # 74, but I couldn't get an LED to work in that socket, so I kept the stock bulb in place. Ditto for the battery indicator light on the dash. I have no idea on the bulb # for the window switches; I believe an unsual size light source is soldered into those windows switches. For my rig, I decided that changing the window switch's color, (or the clock, ECT button, rear widow heater switch, or hazard button) was more trouble that it's worth.
Thanks for the info but I dug into it a while ago and changed all my interior lights to led's. I haven't gotten around to taking pictures but will post some when I get the chance but am in Tennessee at the moment. I also posted that the tranny indicator light was a #74 but someone deleted my gee whiz info post. Oh well.

Thanks again for the info. Better late than never I reckon.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM

And a year later....

Originally Posted by wiseguymmiv

So Wiseguy, in this picture you said that all your indicator lights are red, but on your previous post, some show blue...am I missing something??
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM

thanks for sharing!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tdavis03
So Wiseguy, in this picture you said that all your indicator lights are red, but on your previous post, some show blue...am I missing something??
All his lights are blue the red refers to the numbers in the pic which show which size bulb goes where. Click on the thumbnail and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 AM

OOO!!!
Im a little slow sometimes....
I thought he was indicating the colors used....

Quick Reply: Im seing blue, LED that is