Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

is this a good rebuild deal

Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this a good rebuild deal

Hey I have decided to go the route of a rebuilt engine instead of rebuilding my own due to a blown head gasket at 206k so I'm wondering it the 1500 doller package is a good idea and deal, all so what else should I do I'm going to do a clutch Kit throw Out Bering etc fuel filter and that s about all I have came up with at this point.
Hear is the link to the engine check it out.
http://modesto.craigslist.org/ptd/4406764099.html

Last edited by 1990yota707; 04-23-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 PM

I would just go to a junk yard personally and just grab a used engine. Just check the compression. I picked one up for about $400 and the compression was 140 across all four pistons. My guess is that it had about 100K on it. That would be my route and save the money for other things. A head gasket isn't difficult to replace though. If everything else is in good shape, I would just throw a new gasket on there and get another 100 thousand out of it.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
$1500 seems to be about the average going rate for a rebuilt 22re. The description sure makes it SEEM like they do good work, but I'd be sure to try to get some more opinions (like you already are here) before handing them $1500. They seem proud of their pistons and bearings, but what about the rest of the parts? Do a couple hours of research and it'll be pretty apparent what's important to look for and what brands you want.

If there was nothing else wrong, my initial reaction would be to just pull the head, throw a new HG in there and see what happens, but then you don't know what caused the HG to let go in the first place and it might just keep happening (overheating, warped deck?) At least pull the head, check the deck and head for flatness, cylinder walls for scoring, etc. If that all checks good, throw the new HG on there with a top-end gasket kit, do a compression check and keep going. (HD timing kit would be advisable as well) Most people on the boards swear by the OEM Toyota gaskets and I can't argue, I'd just had good luck with the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets on other applications so I stuck with what I know.

Otherwise, I'd go for a DIY rebuild. If you have any mechanical prowess, a 22re rebuild is pretty straightforward. I just did my first one and after machine work, I had the engine put together in a weekend and in the truck running before the end of the week. And since I built it, I know it was put together with high quality parts.

Last edited by parchisi; 04-24-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
$1500 is just about what a rebuild or a rebuilt engine costs. So as far as answering your question, it's a decent deal.

But I'd reiterate what Parchisi said above.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM

I got a rebuilt 22re from city motor supply in Dallas and I have been happy with it so far. They have a 12 month warranty on them. Technically the engine is $900 but the core is $400 which is paid upfront and returned if they can rebuild your engine. My crankshaft was "bad" (I think it was just misguided) so they could not rebuild it so I made a coffee table out of the old block. If the outfit is legit it looks like a good deal - especially a $600 install - which would have helped me out when I swapped mine - but I do not have a garage or concrete driveway.

Last edited by e-hut7; 04-24-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
OP, where are you located? I've seen that CL ad many times over the years for their rebuilt 22re's. I've never seen any feedback on them so I'd be a little worried, but since they've been around for several years I'd assume they might be around still if any warranty issues come up The price is about right for a longblock.

If you are willing to spend more, there is a guy I've heard of in Sac/Rancho Cordova (but his CL as says he's in Sonora?) - he is Tim at CT Engineering. His rebuilds cost around $3k and turnaround is about a week. He does everything himself, in-house, the work is not limited to the block, and he removes/installs the engine so there are no issues. I spoke with him once about possibly getting my 22re rebuilt and his list of items addressed was impressive compared to the other places I'd inquired. He's got like 25-30yrs experience with Toyota engines and he basically goes through the whole engine bay and makes sure everything is the way it's supposed to be so it's running properly when it leaves his shop. He said he only does stock rebuilds with top quality parts - no performance mods because it makes them less reliable he said, but he'd do it if you brought him the items.

Other very reputable 22re longblocks in NorCal can be found from:
Dave'z Offroad and Performance in Placerville
Putney's 22reperformance.com in Chico.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Thank you for all the replies I'm at work so I can't write much but all the info has helped and I'm located in Sonoma and I'm pretty limited on money and time due to I need my truck for work and do not have any other source of transportation but my yota And I'm wondering what else I should replace wile I'm replacing the motor
Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM

really depends on how many miles are on the rig. Some people will simply only replace the minimal parts and call it good - like just swap the longblock in and transfer all the manifolds, sensors, etc onto it, fill it with oil and coolant, and be done. Other people choose to go very far and replace/adjust sensors, radiator, hoses, fuel filter, have injectors cleaned, EGR cleaned, new vacuum lines, wires -- basically inspect EVERYTHING in the engine bay and replace stuff out of preventative maintenance -- this is the type of rebuild CT Engineering does when I inquired and you'd have basically a full new engine vs just a new block.

if you're limited to just this vehicle and want limited down-time - how are you going to accomplish the swap? do it yourself or have a shop install it? If you do it yourself, can you actually get it back on the road over a weekend? If you have a shop do it, what's THEIR turnaround time? got a bicycle/bus pass to get to work?

From the link you provided, you're already at $2100 for a block and install before taxes. The only stuff they will be replacing other than your longblock and seals is oil/filter, spark plugs, and coolant. Pretty much the minimum. At that point, the shops charging a little more for a more thorough job, may be worth investigating.

Where you proceed from here is up to you. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

From reading there ad If I was close a up close and personal visit might be in order.

If all one builds is the 22R series in all the flavors I would hope they know what they are doing.

Be nice to know just how one collects on the warranty the whole them or you did something dumb.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Actually that is a really good deal, I just got a quote from Jasper for like 2200 for a reman engine. Sad thing is I called 5 different builders for a price on a short block, and none of them will sell short blocks for this engine. The cheapest rebuild I could find around here was from ATK, and they wanted 1900 for one. If I was still out in Cali, I would probobly go this route, but the core charge and shipping both ways its kind of a deal breaker for me. Guess I will keep my eyes peeled for a 3.4L
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM

I have decided to go with that shop I talked to him for about 30min over the phone about various stuff and he said that they all so inspect everything as they go and do some cleaning as well on the pre existing parts and will throw in a cluch at no extra labor charge. They will be doing it next Friday/ Saturday 10hr job he says for the swap and so for 600 I can't beat that due to the fact that I live off a dirt rode and have no garage or carport, all the shop dose is Toyota's and specialize s in 22rs/'re I'm hopeing everything goes well and he all so mentioned that I most likely don't have a blown head gasket that my engine most likely. Corodied thru the coolent port in to the combustion due to electrolysis my dad's old yota did the same thing the shop said it's due to faulty grounding from the ground on the bottom of the block since I guess u need 2 due to the head gasket acting like a insulator between the bottom end and the head. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about but then again it's hard to read ppl over the phone.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Please post up the shop info and results once finished. Good luck!