Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front drive shaft

Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front drive shaft

What is the collar called for the front drive shaft from transfer case to front diff?
NDcrawler is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 04:31 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
MudHippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,106
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Collar? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you be a little more specific?
MudHippy is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 AM
  #3  
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
arlindsay1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast Virginia
Posts: 1,081
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I know it's hard to ask what something is if you don't know what it is. Could you take a picture and post it up? Point to what you're asking about with a pen or something when you take the picture.
arlindsay1992 is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NDcrawler View Post
What is the collar called for the front drive shaft from transfer case to front diff?
I found it! Driveshaft guard hoop.
NDcrawler is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
MudHippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,106
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't know the name of it either. But that's what I thought you meant by collar. I just wasn't sure.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the EPC. It's 3 separate parts actually. The upper part is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Sub-assembly. The lower part is the No. 2 Propeller Shaft Dust Cover. And the mounting bracket/brace is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Stay.

But driveshaft gaurd hoop sounds better anyway.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-24-2016 at 07:12 AM.
MudHippy is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 07:19 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
I didn't know the name of it either. But that's what I thought you meant by collar. I just wasn't sure.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the EPC. It's 3 separate parts actually. The upper part is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Sub-assembly. The lower part is the No. 2 Propeller Shaft Dust Cover. And the mounting bracket/brace is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Stay.

But driveshaft gaurd hoop sounds better anyway.
Your explanation is better, guard hoop is what ebay calls it! LOL
NDcrawler is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft problems!!!!!

Not sure if im at the right thread or whatever put i need major help. Im building a 81 hilux 350 swap with th350 trans with stock toyota transfer case and i need drive shafts! What do i do? mind you this truck is on 37" tires with about a 8-12 inch lift so its big. and im going to crawl it but i have no clue how the drive shafts will hold up or what to do? I was thinking maybe a driveshaft with a sleeve but i have not clue where to find that. Please help!!!
guperslue is offline  
Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 PM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guperslue View Post
Not sure if im at the right thread or whatever put i need major help. Im building a 81 hilux 350 swap with th350 trans with stock toyota transfer case and i need drive shafts! What do i do? mind you this truck is on 37" tires with about a 8-12 inch lift so its big. and im going to crawl it but i have no clue how the drive shafts will hold up or what to do? I was thinking maybe a driveshaft with a sleeve but i have not clue where to find that. Please help!!!
Marlin crawler, check them out, they do cusom length toyota drive shafts
NDcrawler is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for digging up such an old thread but I couldn't find any other reference to this drive shaft cover part. I found mine, or whats left of it, hanging on my front drive shaft. How important is it to replace? I suspect its to prevent weeds, brush from getting tangled up around the drive shaft joint, which is not a big concern for me.

akear is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 06:44 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco East Bay
Posts: 6,608
Likes: 0
Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I can't tell you for sure if you HAVE to have it. I would worry about pieces of wire and other trash just driving down the freeway. But that's just me.

MudHippy, an invaluable resource, didn't provide the part numbers. But he did point out that it's three parts. Why don't you clean up yours, figure out which part you need, and use this
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...roduct=4138126
to find the part number (and price).
scope103 is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 06:17 PM
  #11  
Registered User
 
keycw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
Posts: 267
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
I can't tell you for sure if you HAVE to have it. I would worry about pieces of wire and other trash just driving down the freeway. But that's just me.

MudHippy, an invaluable resource, didn't provide the part numbers. But he did point out that it's three parts. Why don't you clean up yours, figure out which part you need, and use this
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...roduct=4138126
to find the part number (and price).
its simply a dust and debris guard for the cardan. you can purchase all three pieces new from Lakeland Toyota parts for fairly cheap, I did.
keycw is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM
  #12  
RJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 1,646
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I never quite understood why Toyota took such care to shield that double-carden joint, and left the other 3 u-joints totally exposed. Doesn't seem like there's that much difference in vulnerability to dust and other stuff. If anyone knows the reason, I'd be interested to hear it. After I installed my double tcases, the shield no longer fits, so if it's important I have some fab work to do.
RJR is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
keycw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
Posts: 267
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I never quite understood why Toyota took such care to shield that double-carden joint, and left the other 3 u-joints totally exposed. Doesn't seem like there's that much difference in vulnerability to dust and other stuff. If anyone knows the reason, I'd be interested to hear it. After I installed my double tcases, the shield no longer fits, so if it's important I have some fab work to do.
the center of the cardan, the ball part, is exposed and can tear up if dirt, sand gets in it. ujoints have a seal on each cap. if I had to guess, id say that's probably why.
keycw is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM
  #14  
RJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 1,646
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to look at it more closely and see what I can do.
RJR is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 AM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the info on this cover. There are a lot of different parts numbers for these cover pieces but I've figured out for my '87, RN66, cover half #1 is 37701-35050 (NLA), #2 is 37713-35040 or 41 (about $31), and the stay bracket is 37702-35030 (about $8). Of course I need the piece that's no longer available. RJR... wanna sell me yours?
akear is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM
  #16  
RJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 1,646
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by akear View Post
Thanks for all of the info on this cover. There are a lot of different parts numbers for these cover pieces but I've figured out for my '87, RN66, cover half #1 is 37701-35050 (NLA), #2 is 37713-35040 or 41 (about $31), and the stay bracket is 37702-35030 (about $8). Of course I need the piece that's no longer available. RJR... wanna sell me yours?
The mounting bracket is different for a VF1A (chain drive) tcase than for an RF1A gear drive unit. The one I removed is for the VF1A, which is why it no longer fits, because the dual cases are RF1A's. Which case do you have?

I'll have to look at mine some more to see what I want to do. Send me a PM so I don't lose track of you, and if I can't make use of my existing parts you're welcome to them.
RJR is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:22 AM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Kolton5543's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Safford, AZ
Posts: 365
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I found with mine it would get a lot of mud packed in it and in the shaft. Cleaning the mud out of the joint was both harder and more frequent than necessary. I took mine off completely and it pretty much remedied heavy mud getting in there. If you don't see mush mud really then I'd definitely keep it.
Kolton5543 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:00 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
jazz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 64
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to look at it more closely and see what I can do.

Find one at scrapyard or EBAY. Often these guards get left off as well as some of the other factory guards.
jazz1 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 04:30 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
The mounting bracket is different for a VF1A (chain drive) tcase than for an RF1A gear drive unit. The one I removed is for the VF1A, which is why it no longer fits, because the dual cases are RF1A's. Which case do you have?

I'll have to look at mine some more to see what I want to do. Send me a PM so I don't lose track of you, and if I can't make use of my existing parts you're welcome to them.
Ron- I haven't verified but I should have the gear drive unit. My truck, '87 22re 5 spd, is very original. So thanks very much for the offer but it looks like Ebay or salvage yard for me.
akear is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 04:52 PM
  #20  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 1,138
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its junk. Just toss it, I tossed mine years ago along with the front sway bar. All it does is store mud.
skypilot is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MudWaspSR5
Newbie Tech Section
6
03-08-2016 03:11 PM
Valvoman
Items Wanted
6
02-27-2016 02:08 PM
Kevslatvin
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
2
02-23-2016 04:44 PM
msane99
Items Wanted
1
02-22-2016 11:07 AM
richdavies
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
0
02-20-2016 08:07 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front drive shaft


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: