YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Front drive shaft (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/front-drive-shaft-293708/)

NDcrawler 02-23-2016 12:45 PM

Front drive shaft

What is the collar called for the front drive shaft from transfer case to front diff?

MudHippy 02-24-2016 04:31 AM

Collar? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you be a little more specific?

arlindsay1992 02-24-2016 06:03 AM

I know it's hard to ask what something is if you don't know what it is. Could you take a picture and post it up? Point to what you're asking about with a pen or something when you take the picture.

NDcrawler 02-24-2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by NDcrawler (Post 52310623)
What is the collar called for the front drive shaft from transfer case to front diff?

I found it! Driveshaft guard hoop.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...5c599128ed.png

MudHippy 02-24-2016 06:45 AM

I didn't know the name of it either. But that's what I thought you meant by collar. I just wasn't sure.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the EPC. It's 3 separate parts actually. The upper part is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Sub-assembly. The lower part is the No. 2 Propeller Shaft Dust Cover. And the mounting bracket/brace is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Stay.

But driveshaft gaurd hoop sounds better anyway. :D

NDcrawler 02-24-2016 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy (Post 52310732)
I didn't know the name of it either. But that's what I thought you meant by collar. I just wasn't sure.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the EPC. It's 3 separate parts actually. The upper part is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Sub-assembly. The lower part is the No. 2 Propeller Shaft Dust Cover. And the mounting bracket/brace is the Propeller Shaft Dust Cover Stay.

But driveshaft gaurd hoop sounds better anyway. :D

Your explanation is better, guard hoop is what ebay calls it! LOL

guperslue 02-24-2016 08:37 PM

Driveshaft problems!!!!!

Not sure if im at the right thread or whatever put i need major help. Im building a 81 hilux 350 swap with th350 trans with stock toyota transfer case and i need drive shafts! What do i do? mind you this truck is on 37" tires with about a 8-12 inch lift so its big. and im going to crawl it but i have no clue how the drive shafts will hold up or what to do? I was thinking maybe a driveshaft with a sleeve but i have not clue where to find that. Please help!!!

NDcrawler 02-24-2016 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by guperslue (Post 52310825)
Not sure if im at the right thread or whatever put i need major help. Im building a 81 hilux 350 swap with th350 trans with stock toyota transfer case and i need drive shafts! What do i do? mind you this truck is on 37" tires with about a 8-12 inch lift so its big. and im going to crawl it but i have no clue how the drive shafts will hold up or what to do? I was thinking maybe a driveshaft with a sleeve but i have not clue where to find that. Please help!!!

Marlin crawler, check them out, they do cusom length toyota drive shafts

akear 02-23-2019 06:27 AM

Sorry for digging up such an old thread but I couldn't find any other reference to this drive shaft cover part. I found mine, or whats left of it, hanging on my front drive shaft. How important is it to replace? I suspect its to prevent weeds, brush from getting tangled up around the drive shaft joint, which is not a big concern for me.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...66b0a57cf4.jpg

scope103 02-23-2019 06:44 AM

I can't tell you for sure if you HAVE to have it. I would worry about pieces of wire and other trash just driving down the freeway. But that's just me.

MudHippy, an invaluable resource, didn't provide the part numbers. But he did point out that it's three parts. Why don't you clean up yours, figure out which part you need, and use this
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...roduct=4138126
to find the part number (and price).

keycw 02-23-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52419113)
I can't tell you for sure if you HAVE to have it. I would worry about pieces of wire and other trash just driving down the freeway. But that's just me.

MudHippy, an invaluable resource, didn't provide the part numbers. But he did point out that it's three parts. Why don't you clean up yours, figure out which part you need, and use this
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...roduct=4138126
to find the part number (and price).

its simply a dust and debris guard for the cardan. you can purchase all three pieces new from Lakeland Toyota parts for fairly cheap, I did.

RJR 02-25-2019 05:21 PM

I never quite understood why Toyota took such care to shield that double-carden joint, and left the other 3 u-joints totally exposed. Doesn't seem like there's that much difference in vulnerability to dust and other stuff. If anyone knows the reason, I'd be interested to hear it. After I installed my double tcases, the shield no longer fits, so if it's important I have some fab work to do.

keycw 02-26-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RJR (Post 52419307)
I never quite understood why Toyota took such care to shield that double-carden joint, and left the other 3 u-joints totally exposed. Doesn't seem like there's that much difference in vulnerability to dust and other stuff. If anyone knows the reason, I'd be interested to hear it. After I installed my double tcases, the shield no longer fits, so if it's important I have some fab work to do.

the center of the cardan, the ball part, is exposed and can tear up if dirt, sand gets in it. ujoints have a seal on each cap. if I had to guess, id say that's probably why.

RJR 02-26-2019 11:40 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to look at it more closely and see what I can do.

akear 02-27-2019 08:08 AM

Thanks for all of the info on this cover. There are a lot of different parts numbers for these cover pieces but I've figured out for my '87, RN66, cover half #1 is 37701-35050 (NLA), #2 is 37713-35040 or 41 (about $31), and the stay bracket is 37702-35030 (about $8). Of course I need the piece that's no longer available. RJR... wanna sell me yours?

RJR 02-27-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by akear (Post 52419412)
Thanks for all of the info on this cover. There are a lot of different parts numbers for these cover pieces but I've figured out for my '87, RN66, cover half #1 is 37701-35050 (NLA), #2 is 37713-35040 or 41 (about $31), and the stay bracket is 37702-35030 (about $8). Of course I need the piece that's no longer available. RJR... wanna sell me yours?

The mounting bracket is different for a VF1A (chain drive) tcase than for an RF1A gear drive unit. The one I removed is for the VF1A, which is why it no longer fits, because the dual cases are RF1A's. Which case do you have?

I'll have to look at mine some more to see what I want to do. Send me a PM so I don't lose track of you, and if I can't make use of my existing parts you're welcome to them.

Kolton5543 02-27-2019 10:22 AM

I found with mine it would get a lot of mud packed in it and in the shaft. Cleaning the mud out of the joint was both harder and more frequent than necessary. I took mine off completely and it pretty much remedied heavy mud getting in there. If you don't see mush mud really then I'd definitely keep it.

jazz1 02-27-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RJR (Post 52419363)
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to look at it more closely and see what I can do.

Find one at scrapyard or EBAY. Often these guards get left off as well as some of the other factory guards.

akear 02-27-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by RJR (Post 52419420)
The mounting bracket is different for a VF1A (chain drive) tcase than for an RF1A gear drive unit. The one I removed is for the VF1A, which is why it no longer fits, because the dual cases are RF1A's. Which case do you have?

I'll have to look at mine some more to see what I want to do. Send me a PM so I don't lose track of you, and if I can't make use of my existing parts you're welcome to them.

Ron- I haven't verified but I should have the gear drive unit. My truck, '87 22re 5 spd, is very original. So thanks very much for the offer but it looks like Ebay or salvage yard for me.

skypilot 02-27-2019 04:52 PM

Its junk. Just toss it, I tossed mine years ago along with the front sway bar. All it does is store mud.