86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical (earth?) problem 1994 22r

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical (earth?) problem 1994 22r

I have just completed a timing chain replacement and when I got everything back together I noticed there was no electricals, (dash lights etc, failed to come on). Found a lug on the negative earth wire that leads directly to the fender panel was worn, so replaced that. Lights come on in dash, engine turns, but feels as though the battery is flattish. Battery is not flat, with 12v at battery terminals and also when measured earthing to the block. Voltage is a lot lower when earthing to a panel. Also, when trying to start the earth wire from the negative terminal to the side panel begins to overheat & smoke.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this???????
Old 06-18-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For whatever reason you don`t have the ground attached to the block.

Could be it is missing forgot to be attached or the connection is so poor it is unable to conduct.

The total current draw for the starter load is going through the ground bolted to the inner fender. Along with the rest of the electrical load
Old 06-19-2015, 03:54 PM

The ground to the block IS attached. All grounds have been double checked, & all are attached.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If that's the case then you really need to do voltage drop tests because you are losing a great deal of the load carrying capacity somewhere.

Even though a good eye can see what's wrong before he does his test play along and stay with the video till the end.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 PM

Cleaned all the contacts & block with a wire brush and she is running again. Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 01:18 AM

Red face

They were all good where they??
Old 06-21-2015, 05:46 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Taz22R
The ground to the block IS attached. All grounds have been double checked, & all are attached.
That includes the ground strap on the backside of the valve cover?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Red face

For what it is worth I have never had that tiny ground from the firewall to the engine.

Who knows how long before I bought the vehicles it had been removed

I can`t say I had any ill effects from it being missing at least that I noticed.

Then my ground cables are one of the first thing that gets done as a new Toyota is left by the Toyota fairy !!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Taz22R
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... Also, when trying to start the earth wire from the negative terminal to the side panel begins to overheat & smoke.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this???????
All the amperage is going thru that wire and apparently it should not. Can you post a couple of clear upclose pics of the negative battery post and the related ground wires that exit from it?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
They were all good where they??
Well they "looked" like it

Originally Posted by wyoming9
For what it is worth I have never had that tiny ground from the firewall to the engine.

Who knows how long before I bought the vehicles it had been removed

I can`t say I had any ill effects from it being missing at least that I noticed.

Then my ground cables are one of the first thing that gets done as a new Toyota is left by the Toyota fairy !!
I replaced the ground wire from the firewall to the head with 8 awg and I did the same with the ground from the battery to the fenderwell, the rest are stock.
The last time I disconnected the battery I forgot to hook up the main ground from the battery to the block. drrrr

It only cranked a little slower when cold and it fired right up when warm. My headlights still seemed bright and I really didn't notice any low voltage signs. No wires smoked at all and I had it like that for about a week then I noticed it when I was working on my valve cover leak. Those two thicker wires must have been just thick enough to prevent the smoke show. Still, drrrr on my part for leaving the thick wire off.

Originally Posted by ZUK
All the amperage is going thru that wire and apparently it should not. Can you post a couple of clear upclose pics of the negative battery post and the related ground wires that exit from it?
I doubt the original poster will reply because he doesn't have many posts on here. Many of us know grounding problems along with surging idle on the 22re is one of the most common posted about problems on this site.

From a post not to long ago:
Originally Posted by Odin
It does sound like a ground issue to me. Absolutely remove each ground and power wire connected to the battery and clean it. If you can move it with medium force after tightening it down it's too loose.
To say grounds are important is an understatement especially on a vehicle that is equipped with a computer- ECU/ECM.

Here's a low cash outlay method of an attempted fix.
Locate and clean all of your ground wires!

This is the 22re Ground Wire Guide.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/

If you find a ground wire is missing look around for it, sometimes people forget to hook them back up. If it's broke or missing make a new one from at least 10 gauge wire to replace it. Some people go one step better and replace the smaller wires with 8 or 6 gauge which is great. If you make simple crimp connections do yourself a big favor and use adhesive lined shrink tubing to help keep corrosion out of the joint.
Treat all of the connections in the following manner.

1. Go to the store and purchase a small brass bristle brush and a tube of dielectric grease.

2. Dealing with one connection at a time, unbolt the connector and use the brush to clean the area the connector makes contact with until it shines.

3. Clean the ground wires connector with the wire brush until it shines.

The idea here is to have fresh shiny metal to metal contact for low voltage drop.
If there's a ground that is bolted to paint or rust you'll of course need to scrape it to get a good metal to metal contact.

4. Apply the dielectric grease to the connector and bolt the two back together.

Dielectric grease will HELP keep corrosion away but it won't stop it. You'll eventually need to clean the grounds again. That's just the way it is because of the environment your dealing with.

Try the above first but here's some more BS that may or may not help you.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...charge-287463/

Last edited by Odin; 06-21-2015 at 05:06 PM.