Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driver's door won't open!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Just buy it from dealer ($5) and forget about it for another 20 years, , or buy a set of various clips from Ebay.

Having to take that door panel off, to fix it again later would surely cost you more than $5, if your time is valuable to you.

Originally Posted by jamesg
great post. drivers' side o/s handle went in-op. opened panel and found yellow clamp on linkage broken. Used a good quality tie wrap around remaining yellow clamp to rod connection and pulled it tight. put another tie wrap below yellow clamp, just on rod, to hold the first one in place/just in case. Should work well since there is no torque on the clamp itself; it just holds the rod into the actuator. my $.02 worth.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAME PROBLEM, the little spring in the door latch mechanism broke on driver's door, I heard it drop down in the door. No way to unlock it to open it. YOU CAN REMOVE THE PANEL WITHOUT BREAKING THAT TOP CORNER CLIP. I took the long way around at this, I removed the passenger door panel, glass, and shield/track piece that covers the actual lock mechanism. I did the passenger side first since I could open that door and see how it all worked. If you use a 90* dental pick on the top corner clip behind the dash, you can push the center through (retrieve from bottom inside door later) and then pry the outside of the clip off. I removed the driver's seat to access the lower panel clips more easily too. Once the inside panel is off if you remove the glass you can see and reach things more easily. You can get everything off except the shield/track piece that covers the the lock mechanism. It bolts on with the door open, of course. I bent it slightly toward the outside of the door, heard something click and the door opened. I found the broken spring in the bottom of the door along with the center to that upper clip. I haven't been to the hardware store for the spring yet. I was looking at the inside of my doors, they look good but I was wondering if anybody has ever sprayed bedliner in there? I am starting a 3.4 swap next week (293,000 miles on the 3.0) so I'm going to have this 4Runner for quite a while longer and thought a little rust protection on the inside wouldn't hurt. I'm going to replace the passenger side spring when I find the correct size, no use going through this again.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exterior Door handle Quick fix?

Hi all,
My exterior door on my 95 toyota pickup is starting to come off and I have to push in on door to create leverage as i pull handle out to open it. I've watched the videos on how to replace the part, but that is 1.5 hours I don't have right now. Anyone know a qucik fix that would work at least temporarily?

thanks!