Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Driver's door won't open!!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Driver's door won't open!!

This is kind of urgent since this truck is my dd.
I can't get my door to open. Its like the lock is jammed because I can get the key to turn in the lock, but it won't unlock. and I can't pull the lock up from the inside. Is there a way to pull the door panel off with the door shut? or do i need to resort to a mechanic's best friend (prybar and hammer) to get the door open?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Cant ya get through the passenger door, or 1 of the other 5? and open it then fiddle with it ?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM

yeah, I've tried pulling up on the lock while jiggling on the latch handle and nothing. I wonder if spraying pb blaster or WD40 into the key cylinder might do something. I think I'll try that. Its somethink in the locking mechanism thats jammed.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remove the panel, have a look. The only tricky bit is the window crank- get a strip of cloth loop it under the crank and work it back and forth and the clip will catch on the cloth and be pulled free. The door latch also can be a little confusing the first time- unscrew the screw in the centre, then pull the handle rearwards.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM

removing the panel is the problem. The door is stuck shut and I can't get the panel off while it is shut - or can you?
This is a 93 SR5 runner. It has electric windows, and that one piece arm rest with the lock/mirror/window controls built into it.

Last edited by dieselloco427; 02-22-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BFH?

Try pushing in on the door while jiggling the key, or try the WD40 deal.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
BFH?

Try pushing in on the door while jiggling the key, or try the WD40 deal.
haha - a BFH is next on the list to try, stinks too because I just got this door repainted
The WD40 didn't work - nor did pushing (and pulling) on the door while jiggling the key.
I was looking throught the FSM on removing the panel, and it seems like it can be done while the door is shut. There is just one panel clip that I can't get to - the one below the side view mirror where the door shuts against the side of the dash.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the exact same problem last winter it was a little spring on the handle that broke off I found it in the bottom of the dorr after I got the panel off which was a pain with the door stuck shut you just have to break the top part lose and stick your arm in their to lift one of the metal bars to eventually unlock door and lift handle then open and finish removing the panel good look finding where the spring goes though. I accidently bumped my window with a pliers and it exploded so i went to the juck yard got a whole door for $50 and compared handles then saw where and how the spring went on and I then put it on.
by the way when you pull the panel you will probably break a clip on the right side from inside the truck because it is behind the dash and you can not get at it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM

yeah that one little pesky clip behind the dash is a problem - no big deal if it breaks - it wouldn't be the first one thats broken on this truck. I'm going to try getting the top part of the panel loose and see if I can get the door open at least. Its getting annoying climbing out the passenger side - plus I kicked my shifter this afternoon and broke it :/ found one on ebay though!!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:34 AM

Ok, So I got the panel off, and tried messing with every possible lever and rod in the door. Still nothing. I do have electric locks - I'm wondering if the solenoid for the locks is siezed theres got to be someway to disconnect it and find out?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 AM

i had my 85 do that to me a couple times, though it didint have electric locks.. if the door wasnt shut really tight and i pushed the lock down with my elbow resting on the window sill it would jam it up. i would then have to climb out the pass door, and baiscally throw my self at the door to get it to shut enough to free the lock.. be carefull if you do that tho, try and aim youself at the door jam and not the door in general, i pushed in the door skin once and had to pull the door panel and pop it out... hope you get er fixed, i had a 86 bronco II once that at first neither of the doors opend or shut the way they were suspoed to (broken hinges, and bad catches) and had to climb in through the rear hatch lol
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 AM

Haha - I'll give it a couple body rams and see what happens beats prying the door open with a prybar
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I read this and had to laugh because yesterday at the gas station I got locked inside my 4runner because the door lock wouldn't work. I pulled like crazy and even rolled the window down to try the key, no dice. I ended up crawling across to the passenger door and falling out on the concrete when I went to step out.

Not one of my better moments.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jammed solenoid makes sense. if you remove it, the actual lock mechanism should be free to move around. DO NOT try to pry the door open. I would pay a mechanic to open it for you before you pry it open. it will be MUCH cheaper, I promise you that. Those doors really latch well. Just think the forces exerted on them at a 50 MPH rollover and they don't come open...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh, and since its a 93, see if someone you know with a slimjim can get it open.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I'd call a towing company for a lock-out service it should only cost around $50 if that... if you or someone you know has an autoclub membership get them to call for you and it will only cost you a beer for your buddy... ask your neighbours maybe one of them has a membership...

Last edited by aviator; 03-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I bent my driver-door-hinge on a bush (when my truck decided to go rolling backwards out a driveway without me) driver's door hasn't opened since. It is also stuck in the locked position. I think I need to take the panel off & see if I can unlatch the mechanism manually.

PS. I've been swinging out the window for a while now you get pretty good at it, but you have to go out he passenger door if you want your window closed.

PPS. I'm guessing a lockout service may not be able to help if it's a problem with the physical mechanism, all they are trained to do is unlock working doors without a key.

Last edited by jeebus; 03-08-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:04 PM

I'll give a lockout service a call tomorrow, I think my dad has popalock or something like that. Body slams on the door didn't quite work - although it does feel like the door is loose
It's pretty embarassing climbing out the passenger side - esp when parking downtown outside a nice resturaunt haha, and I;ve been driving a friends nissan pathfinder for the last few days - - I feel like such a traitor driving that around wearing my toyota tshirt haha
Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

All you have to do is park up tight on the drivers side to the vehicle/tree/shrub next to you and you will look just fine crawling out the pax side.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM

seems like my problem is exactly the same as what happened to 93toyrunner. I had to push down on the lever that the return spring was attached to, pull the lock up and then pull the handle and tada! door opened!! Now its off to the various hardware and auto parts stores to see if I can find a replacement spring... I'll upload some pictures once I find my camera...

Edit: PICTURES!! if anyone cares...

Broken spring and latch assy:

Broken Spring and New Spring - which is a little longer but works just as good (ACE - the helpful place - and yes they do have almost everything!!):

New Spring Installed:

Plus I re greased everything...

Last edited by dieselloco427; 03-12-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: pictures upload

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's door won't open!!