86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detroit lsd(s) or Lockers; either with 5:29's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck.
plan on doing a fair amount of street and highway driving (light around town stuff and highway to whatever offroad destination awaits)
soi def dont want to do a locker in the front. and since we see a lot mucky conditions here im thinking TT will be better. front and back. then maybe upgrade to an air lock in the rear if i get to that stage
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll sell you my rear TT! lol!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Even though this thread is wicked old, it's nice that people are searching and digging up old threads rather than creating new threads of the same topic. I mean, we get people screaming "SEARCH!", then when people do it and dig up old threads they say "What's with the thread necrology? " LOL.

I figured I'd throw my two pennies in since I put a 4:10 True-Trac in my Pickup last November. My truck is stock gearing, 31x10.5 BFG MTs, rear true-trac, front is open still.

I can say with 100% certainty that the TT is buttloads better than an open differential, regardless of whether it's in the front or rear of the truck. As stated earlier in this thread, it might not help as much in the rear because pickups are light back there. This past winter I put the TT to the test on a slick spot that normally I'd get stuck on with two open diffs.

It's in my backyard, is a steep incline that you have to turn full lock to the right to ascend. Previous winters the truck would spin and bounce even on snow/ice. In Springtime, I'd still lose traction there simply because of the angle the truck is on and being cranked full lock to the right.

This past winter I went up it no problem, numerous times without getting stuck. The tires broke loose a little, and it was a very awkward sensation. I could actually feel the torque transfer from wheel to wheel out back. It basically walked me up the hill, leaving behind almost no spin marks. (not enough to dig up the grass like usual) I'd like to find a TT for the front.

On snow covered street driving, the TT is fantastic as well. Very predictable. Felt safe even in 2wd. I think I'm going to switch to BFG ATs though, as the truck is mainly my winter DD and I haven't much time to wheel.

I've got an '85 SFA sitting in my side yard. Picked it up for a good deal. I don't wheel enough to make use of it, though. Would be stupid to build it and put it on for a mostly street driven truck. :sigh: Maybe sometime in the future...

Last edited by shaeff; 10-08-2010 at 10:50 AM.