86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

better 2wd trannys for 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
better 2wd trannys for 22re?

i was thinking about putting a better tranny in behind my 22re when it comes time for a replacement (soon sounding like). what about the 7m turbo or non-turbo supras? what about 5m supras? what about the old rear drive celicas or other stuff? i heard of them all being done. what all is involved in them? no 4 speeds. is it just a swap, or do i need a different driveshaft made, new crossmember, different clutch, ect? i shift hard and the truck tranny doesnt like it. plus the cars have a bit closer ratios. thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM

You will need a bellhousing from a R151F Turbo tranny if you want to bolt up an R154 Supra tranny. The R-series trannys are stronger than the W or G series tranny that you have, so a tranny from a turbo 2WD truck or V6 would be your easiest bet, and you would most likely be able to use the same driveshaft that you already have. As far as the clutches go, you would probably have to use the larger clutch pressure plate and disc that would go with the R-series transmission as well. I have a R151F (22RE to R-series transmission) bellhousing and a flywheel/clutch disc and pressure plate for sale as well as a W59 2WD transmission from a 98 2WD Tacoma. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by seafarinman; 12-18-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:43 AM

so basically just using the stuff from a v6 taco would work? stronger isnt so much the goal, as more crisp shifts and/or it wanting to take the gear at high rpm. and closer gears. whatcha want for it?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM

Well the 2WD 4cyl taco tranny that I have (W-59 with 42000 miles on it) would bolt up using the bellhousing that you already have from your existing W-56 tranny since the clutch slave cylinder and starter are on the opposite side of a 22RE on a 2/3RZ. If you wanted to use a V6 Hilux or Tacoma R-series tranny you would need the Turbo R151F bellhousing that I have. But I don't have any V6 2WD trannies though. I want $300 for the W-59 tranny. I don't know if I will sell the R151F bellhousing yet since I might use it to swap a V6 tranny into my 22RE auto truck. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the late 80s and early 90s Supra non-turbo models used a W58. The bell ousing is different but you can use the one from your existing trans. The shifter housing and or tail housing must also be swapped over.

It has closer gear ratios except that 5th gear is just a bit taller.

I've got one sitting next to my lift at work to go in my truck, Hopefully before I grenade the old one.

It'll be done by this weekend, and I'll post a complete report
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Did the W58 swap tonight after work.

The bell housing needs to be swapped which is just a matter of unbolting them and swapping them.

I had to remove the extension housing (tail housing) to swap the shift linkage.
this means unbolting the bolts that sandwich the bearing plate between the front housing and extension housing. so I went ahead and pulled the front housing and inspected the trans. I also replaced the input shaft seal and extension housing seal.

I found that the speedo drive gear and driven gear are different. So if you want to keep your speedo reading the same you'll need to swap the drive gears from the tailshaft and use your old sensor with that gear.

As it turns out My speedo was reading very high due to the rear gears I installed. So I left the drive gear on the tail shaft and swapped the driven gear to my sensor. I dont think you are realy supposed to do this as the gears are molded on the shaft of the sensor but I was careful and got it off and back on. Now my speedo reads 10% low instead of 15% high. Well at least it's closer.

Anyhow, the trans works great. I don't really notice that the 1st gear ratio is lower numerically (higher gear). but you can definitely tell that the gears are stacked closer together until you reach 5th. I dropped over 300rpm at cruise speed which makes highway cruising much more comfortable.

So I would say this swap is not for the faint of heart. And would recommend at least having someone with trans experience oversee the proceedure.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM

i have an electric speedo. 92+ did. mechanical til 91. so, im assuming it would be a sensor to swap either way, but thats not much of an issue. so does the shifter come through the floor in the same spot. is it a shorter shift arm? can you use the car one in the truck tranny for a cheap short throw? (i made my own, but options are nice). driveshaft issues? or crossmember ones?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 PM

Marlin Crawler has a mechanical to electronic speedo converter that is cheaper ($59 vs. $200+) than the factory part http://www.marlincrawler.com/images/vss_all_1000.jpg
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by standardbyker88
so does the shifter come through the floor in the same spot. is it a shorter shift arm? can you use the car one in the truck tranny for a cheap short throw? (i made my own, but options are nice). driveshaft issues? or crossmember ones?
I swapped the shifter housing and "linkage" (actuator?) from my original trans to the W58. The trans I got did not have a shifter with it and the one for my truck would not fit.

If you had the shifter from the supra and used the housing on that trans it would move the shifter about 6" to the rear. this would require moving the hole in the floor.

For me I think that would be good. At some point in the future if I get a shifter from a supra I might go back and set it up that way.

As far as a shorter throw, I measured the depth of my trucks shift housing and compared it to the supra housing and found that it would actually (very slightly) increase the throw to use the shifter housing. But I think with the shifter mounted further to the rear like that you could use a shorter shifter.

I also have modified my stock shifter to make it shorter I'll post a picture when I can.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM

i took my stock arm and cut about an inch and a half out of the wide base and narrow upper of the steel area. not knowing there was rubber inside. welded it back up. that boiled out the rubber. so i had to use electrical tape to make the difference. that didnt work too good. so i took that whole steel part and replaced it with about an 8" long peice resembling the shape the stock one became but made of aluminum. tapped with the thread pattern of the knob inside, and on the stock lower, the same. so it threads onto the stock lower, and then the knob goes on. i could actually remove the extension but that is WAY too short of a throw.

on a sidenote, i half toasted my clutch tonight. was beating on the truck. doing a powerbrake 1st gear burnout at work, and went to toss it into 2nd (left foot clutch, right sideways on the brake and gas). little damp outside so i though id be good. wasnt. took a few seconds to realize i wasnt roasting the back tires but the clutch. took like 7 hours to get that smell out. its like burnout with melted milk jug. its bad. so yeah, its a bit mushier now. hahaha. im retarded. lesson learned...no 2nd gear spinners with an old 22re. she said no.

so yeah, if i got the ENTIRE tranny setup (bellhousing, clutch, forks, flywheel, main housing, lines, linkages, ect) off a supra would i need to buy anything or just combo parts together? do you have any pictures of the setup/swap? and i would like to keep my shifter where it is. its short enough that its not an issue with the radio or anything. and i have it setup with my console.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM

also, flywheel. which to use? does the car have any benefits? weight, material, ect? and also, if i found one with a bad clutch, would a stock replacement be good enough for a 22re or should i get a better one? motor is stock with intake and exhaust.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by standardbyker88
so yeah, if i got the ENTIRE tranny setup (bellhousing, clutch, forks, flywheel, main housing, lines, linkages, ect) off a supra would i need to buy anything or just combo parts together? do you have any pictures of the setup/swap? and i would like to keep my shifter where it is. its short enough that its not an issue with the radio or anything. and i have it setup with my console.
all you need is the transmission and swap over the parts as I posted previously.

Of course it sounds like you'll be needing a clutch as well. Exedy makes a performance clutch for our trucks that's reasonable. and if you want you can go with a lightweight flywheel and a reaal performance clutch if you don't mind spending the dough.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The R154 trans has a longer input shaft equal to the R series Taco V6 transmissions so that would not work. You need a 2wd V6 R150 or a Turbo 2wd R151 plus a turbo bellhousing which you would get when you pull the trans out of a 2wd turbo.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 PM

I was looking at your parts for sale and you have an R151F with no bellhousing or transfercase... that is funny because I have an R151F bellhousing and forwardshift case for sale!

Originally Posted by JamesD
The R154 trans has a longer input shaft equal to the R series Taco V6 transmissions so that would not work. You need a 2wd V6 R150 or a Turbo 2wd R151 plus a turbo bellhousing which you would get when you pull the trans out of a 2wd turbo.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seafarinman
I was looking at your parts for sale and you have an R151F with no bellhousing or transfercase... that is funny because I have an R151F bellhousing and forwardshift case for sale!
I have the bellhousing and t-case as well but I'am keeping the case. I'am selling the trans with the bellhousing. If the trans doesn't sell I will sell the bellhousing.

James