86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbocharging A Stock 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharging A Stock 22re?

First off I want to clarify this is mostly a "because it's fun" and "because I can" project. Anyways I have a TD05-12b turbocharger that I bought on ebay, and I am thinking about turbocharging my '94 22re 2wd pickup.

The td05-12b comes off of a 2.3l volvo and is about the same size as a ct-20
maybe a little larger and i think it should flow a little better.
(1.5" compressor inducer, and a turbine A/R of 0.41)

If I do install this turbo I will be making my own exhaust header for it and my goal is to use the stock ECU and fuel injectors. I am not planning on running high boost (only 0.3 bar). I just want to see what all you guys think about this idea. I am planning to route the air flow meter up to the turbo's intake so all the air will be metered and then feed the boosted air right over to the stock TB.
Since it is such low boost how well do you guys think the internals will hold up even with the stock higher compression ratio? Also would the ECU respond well with the AFM in front of the turbo? I'd think it should meter the air just fine so the ECU should be able to deliver the proper amount of fuel.

I've read that the stock ECU and fuel injectors can handle up to 150 HP and my power goal is well within that range.

I can sort out all the oil and water feeds and drains so i'm not worried about that. If this works out I might also look into a turbo cam. Like I said this is mostly for fun. If I get a little extra power I will be happy. If my goal was lots of power I'd do an engine swap but that's not my plan.

Hopefully you guys can set me off in the right direction, thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The because it`s fun and you can the real fun is to do the design work simple matter to do the wrenching part.

You might run into problems with the higher then normal compression.

You also don`t say how many miles are on the engine I have seen just a valve job and new head gasket take out the lower end because of that added change to the compression.

Have fun with no pressure you can just walk away when the frustration gets to bad!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
There is some great turbo info on UT
but you might have better luck here
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplema...e=22RTE-Trucks
Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You also don`t say how many miles are on the engine I have seen just a valve job and new head gasket take out the lower end because of that added change to the compression.
Well the engine has ~150k miles on it total, but only 30 miles after the rebuild (still working on painting the truck) it has a new head, valves, cam, timing cover/components, bearings, pistons, rings, seals, gaskets, etc.

A compression test checks in at just under 180 psi in each cylinder so it definitely has lots of compression.

I am a bit more concerned about how the stock fuel management will work out with the turbo. I don't want the engine to run lean and start melting the pistons. Do you guys think just putting the AFM in front of the turbo is enough? or would I need to adjust the AFM to enrich the mixture also?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be checking out the turbo forum.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leave the stock ecu to do it's thing. For open loop, add a simple meth injection kit on a 3psi hobbs switch. Run 100% methanol and that'll take care of your extra fueling, intercooling, and knock control all in one! Miracle juice.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
the stock ecu will not handle boost AT ALL!. Unless you went through all the trouble of finding and making a 22rte ecu work that would be the only stock way to go. Vasinvictor's way is the only easy way to do it. If you like tinkering check out the megasquirt fuel management systems. They have a lot of diy stuff for just this kind of thing.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Well I am not planning to add methanol injection...not very practical for everyday driving.

So the factory ECU will not handle ANY boost at all? I would think the ECU would just think the throttle is open more than it really is, seeing more air coming in the AFM than it normally would. As if it were below sea level?

Would that make the computer freak out since the TPS would not be showing the proper signal for the amount of air flowing threw? Also this turbo has a build in BOV that recirculates the blow off air back to the turbo intake so it wont be venting off metered air.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's not much more practical than methanol injection. It only injects when you are in boost. Methanol is pretty easy to find (Heet yellow bottle, or bulk from racing fuel supplier, local race track). My 3 gallon under hood tank can last months if I'm careful. Bigger injectors will be a nightmare in closed loop. Unless you're going with standalone or piggyback, it's about BEST option. Whatever, just a friendly suggestion from a "been there done that" dude
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Hmm, you are starting to convince me of methanol injection. I will have to look into it more. What are you using to control the injection? and what controls the amount that is injected (more boost would mean more needs to be injected right?)

Though I would kinda prefer it to just inject more fuel as more air is drawn in.
I don't really see why putting the AFM on the turbo intake won't work as long as I keep the boost low enough that the ECU and injectors can keep up.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some people just have to learn things through failure.

The been there done that pretty much says we tried it didn`t work.

Please prove us wrong we love learning new things.

Just curious why don`t you like the idea of methanol injection??

To hard to figure out?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:36 PM

From the 5MGTE threads I've read throughout the years, Ive seen people run a little larger than stock injectors out of a non turbo 7MGE, with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a little tweaking of the AFM.

The setup I pieced together consists of .57 Trim CT26 Toyota Turbo, 7MGTE 440cc injectors, Denso MK4 Supra turbo pump with a Megasquirt.

My 22RTE build for my 4Runner is going to be using stock RTE Injectors for now, walbro 225lph pump, Megasquirt, Turbonetics T3. (forgot the trim)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Transambandit- Your setup will work really well just because you are using a real stand alone management to control the fuel and ignition. The oem engine management was designed in the early 80's and did not change much through out its life.

Just imagine trying to make a power point presentation with a pc from the early 80's. Pretty much impossible. There is a company called diy auto tune that makes a plug and play engine management system for the 22re. It is pricey but all you have to do is plug it in....
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM

I understand that. I guess the point of my post was: wouldn't it be possible to just add a fmu with some tweaking of the AFM and slightly larger injectors for a low boost application? The 5MGE is a flapper style AFM set up like the 22REs.

My setups was just to state what I ended up going with.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:38 PM

In theory it could work, but in the end you will end up with over fueling out of boost. I'm not saying it wont work but I have never seen someone successfully pull it off. I feel like most people get it all put together than cant get it to run right.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 PM

22RE Turbo

Hi RatOmeter,
I did this very thing 10 years ago. Started with a Saab turbo. Home made header. Larger injectors. Bigger fuel pump. And a boost controlled regulator. It worked okay. A bit of a lean lag when first giving it 1/2 to WOT. About 4 years ago, I got a Saab harness and all of the sensors. Trionic 5. This move caused several changes to be needed. A Saab CPS was added at the crank and external. Saab has it in oil. The Air door was removed and a MAP sensor was added. The coolant sensor threaded right in. The TPS had to be reworked to fit mechanically and the external resistance leads needed to be rolled. The distributor was removed. The Direct Ignition cassette was fitted with spark plug wires and mounted on top of the engine. The Saab firing order is the same, so the plug wires were a straight run. Today my son has the car. A wide band was added and final tuning was done by Mike D. About 12psi boost. Intercooler in front of the radiator. Sorry to go on and on. To do it over, Small Block Chevy. BTW - I still have the boost controlled regulator if you wish.
Rob
Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM

One last thing - Last week's Dyno, to the wheels, 190HP, 235Ft Lbs.