Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ADD to Manual hub conversion help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by noblemalone
How does one go about doing this? Can someone direct me to a write-up or explain?

Thanks
How the system works:
- http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...tem-19259.html

Two basic vacuum connections at the axle actuator, one to lock and one to unlock and one vacuum line connecting the engine intake manifold to the ADD switching valves. One can guess the way to proceed.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by alfio
are you saying that once the ADD tube is removed it is not possible to shift on the fly?

my understanding is that shift on the fly won't be affected if you a) lock the fork and removing the ADD stuff and/or b) remove the ADD tube/axle and replace with non-ADD parts

or am i missing something more subtle in your clarification? thanks
Correct, you can still shift on the fly "if the front hubs are locked". But if the front hubs are unlocked, you have 2WD, period.

My point was that some folks think that manual hubs and removing/disabling ADD stuff = "no shift on the fly", but that is not the case.

The only thing you lose is that if you have hubs unlocked and you want to shift into 4WD, you will have to manually lock the hubs that first time, unlike with ADD you can shift into 4WD most any time.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Correct, you can still shift on the fly "if the front hubs are locked". But if the front hubs are unlocked, you have 2WD, period.
right, makes sense

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The only thing you lose is that if you have hubs unlocked and you want to shift into 4WD, you will have to manually lock the hubs that first time, unlike with ADD you can shift into 4WD most any time.
right, also makes sense.

personally, i've never had a problem with ADD failing but i would be willing to 'sacrifice' the convenience of ADD for sake of simplifying things on my truck and gaining a stronger axle. that would be why i will eventually get rid of the ADD stuff. in the mean time, manual hubs will do.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Still no 4wd

I did the hub swap, and still no 4wd. Does the relay have to be good for it to work?
I'm thinking I have a problem in the t-case. Any ideas or advice would be great.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 93blackrunner
I did the hub swap, ...
I'm guessing you think that everyone knows what "the" hub swap is. I sure don't.

I'll guess that you replaced standard (ADD) always-locked hubs with manually lockable hubs. Yes, if 4wd didn't work with the hubs locked, it will still not work with the hubs manually locked.

Yes, the relay has to be good. And the VSVs, the vacuum lines, the transfer case, and all of the myriad parts discussed in the scores of postings in this thread. You can bypass some, replace some, and fix any of them. Then you would have 4wd.

Why don't you spend a few minutes reading the posts in this thread. Then, if you still have questions, someone here will be willing to help you.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 PM

Please help

I've gone through pages and pages of questions. Anything to do with 4wd. Multiple forums. I've done the diag myself. I'm not a super tech by any means, but I know what I'm doing.
I had an intermittent functioning vsv. Was told I could put manual hubs on, and lock the actuator fork, and sleeve in 4wd to bypass that. Seems to be working, the hubs engage, the front driveline will turn as long as the rear wheels push the fronts. 4wd light doesnt come on at any point in time (switch replaced). Read on identifix that there are occasionally problems with the valve body in the transfer case. Anyone else experience this, or anything similar.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Lots of different transfer cases over the years. I'm going to guess you have the A340H transmission (because you're talking about valve bodies). That transmission has diagnostics for the solenoid in the transfer case. http://web.archive.org/web/201408161...31diagnosi.pdf

Have you jacked up the front to confirm the wheels and front driveshaft always turn together? Have you confirmed that the front driveshaft will NOT turn in 4Hi with the rear driveshaft not turning? Just eyeballing the front driveshaft while you roll the vehicle may not be enough; a little friction in the system can turn that driveshaft even though nothing is engaged.

The 4wd light is driven by a switch inside the front diff; is that the switch you replaced? That switch should close if the actuator fork is in the "engaged" position.

As you can see, I've got to make a lot of guesses here. If you could describe what you've done, why you did it, and what diagnostics you've run, someone is likely to be able to help you.

(BTW, seems like a lot of work to avoid fixing an intermittent vsv.)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Automatic Disconnecting Differential to Manual locking hub.

1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 4X4
I am interested in installing manual locking hubbs to my truck. Unfortunately throughout this process I've asked three different sources from the same company. #1 Guy: told me all I needed to do is uninstall the add hub and install the manual locking hub made by WARN with no work need to be done to the front diff. I've tried to look for Aisin Manual locking hubb but it is really difficult or overpriced. #2 Guy: told me I needed to buy the manual locking hub and the spindle locking nut kit. #3 Guy: mentioned that I needed to get a different front diff, a (manual locking diff) in order to proceed successfully.

I read online on a forum called "Add to Manual locking hub!!" That I needed to open the actuator and lock the shift fork into lock position. I don't completely understand how this work (please educate me). How does the "locking shift fork into locked position" work with the manual locking hubs. Does that mean my truck will be in 4WD all the time. Again, please educate me
Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rrowlandrramos
1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 4X4
I am interested in installing manual locking hubbs to my truck. Unfortunately throughout this process I've asked three different sources from the same company. #1 Guy: told me all I needed to do is uninstall the add hub and install the manual locking hub made by WARN with no work need to be done to the front diff. I've tried to look for Aisin Manual locking hubb but it is really difficult or overpriced. #2 Guy: told me I needed to buy the manual locking hub and the spindle locking nut kit. #3 Guy: mentioned that I needed to get a different front diff, a (manual locking diff) in order to proceed successfully.

I read online on a forum called "Add to Manual locking hub!!" That I needed to open the actuator and lock the shift fork into lock position. I don't completely understand how this work (please educate me). How does the "locking shift fork into locked position" work with the manual locking hubs. Does that mean my truck will be in 4WD all the time. Again, please educate me
Guy number one is correct, though I prefer Aisin hubs to Warn hubs. Also he meant ADD drive flange, it's not a hub.

Guy 2 is only correct for 84-88 pickups and 4Runners with Automatic hubs (NOT the same as ADD)

Guy 3 is completely wrong. In two ways. A. You would omlymneed to replace the jackshaft, not the entire diff, and B. It's not necessary. It's helpful to eliminate the ADD shaft and excess moving parts, but not
necessary.

You don't need to lock the shift fork into position, guys just do it to eliminate extra moving parts.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Guy number one is correct, though I prefer Aisin hubs to Warn hubs. Also he meant ADD drive flange, it's not a hub.

Guy 2 is only correct for 84-88 pickups and 4Runners with Automatic hubs (NOT the same as ADD)

Guy 3 is completely wrong. In two ways. A. You would omlymneed to replace the jackshaft, not the entire diff, and B. It's not necessary. It's helpful to eliminate the ADD shaft and excess moving parts, but not
necessary.

You don't need to lock the shift fork into position, guys just do it to eliminate extra moving parts.
thank you Death Cougar for the clarification!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

necessary.

So I called Guy#1 and he mentioned that because I have a open diff it wouldn't make any difference with just manual locking hubs vs manual locking hubs and locker in the front and rear ( mainly needed more for the rear, instead). Any ideas on what type of locker I should look into getting. And is it necessary for the lockers (front and rear) if I install the manual locking hubs ?

Last edited by rrowlandrramos; 04-15-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo