Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1989 4X4 22re to RET conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 4X4 22re to RET conversion?

Hey all!

I currently have a 1989 5 speed 4X4 pickup with the N/A 22RE.

Guy nearby me is selling a 86-87 22 RET that came out of a Automatic 4x4 with the engine harness and I have a 5 speed 4X4 manual RET computer.

I was hoping to build the RET up so when i'm bored I could swap in the RET.

So the only diffrence between the two engines is 1989 vs 1986-1987, 22RE vs RET, and Manual 22RE vs Auto 22RET

Is this feasible? sensible?

is it just drop in the engine/harness and connect the ECU and away we go?
is the crank different between the Auto and manual?
My cluster is obviously different than the 86-87 trucks, but I have no OEM tach on mine which was the only thing controlled by the ecm on the cluster right?

Thanks!

Last edited by SlaveCylinder; 04-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Depends how you define sensible and feasible ??

Just do a 3.4 swap you will come out ahead .

I was going the 22rte route looked at the numbers Sold the engine went 3.4

All the 22RTE engines I ran very long the turbo housings cracked even though I did my best to keep them cool

If your going to do this you may as well plan on up grading the Turbo from the start

Like any swap your going to merge the truck harness and the engine harness because most likely it will not be just plug and play.

Some repin the connectors some splice in the different plugs.

Then if your lucky all the coolant hoses and air intake hoses are like new because they are long obsolete !!

Since I never saw a down pipe for the turbo aftermarket that most likely needs to be custom made.

As well as the rest of the exhaust system

where the $$$ add up is all the minor things that need fabricated.

Then what end results are you looking for ??

Lots of work and expense for very little gain !!

Just to have a 22RTE ?

If this is a long term project to keep you out of the house go for it .

Only you know if this project will meet your needs .
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your best bet one ECU front is to use a DIY PNP2 ECU which supports MAP so you can part with the VAFM and assoc parts making room. If I'm right its OK to use the current trucks harness, just add a vacuum line for the map to the built in ecu sensor. But I agree you have to decide how deep you want to go, with engine swaps being the cheapest.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Depends how you define sensible and feasible ??

Just do a 3.4 swap you will come out ahead .

I was going the 22rte route looked at the numbers Sold the engine went 3.4

All the 22RTE engines I ran very long the turbo housings cracked even though I did my best to keep them cool

If your going to do this you may as well plan on up grading the Turbo from the start

Like any swap your going to merge the truck harness and the engine harness because most likely it will not be just plug and play.

Some repin the connectors some splice in the different plugs.

Then if your lucky all the coolant hoses and air intake hoses are like new because they are long obsolete !!

Since I never saw a down pipe for the turbo aftermarket that most likely needs to be custom made.

As well as the rest of the exhaust system

where the $$$ add up is all the minor things that need fabricated.

Then what end results are you looking for ??

Lots of work and expense for very little gain !!

Just to have a 22RTE ?

If this is a long term project to keep you out of the house go for it .

Only you know if this project will meet your needs .
i was planning on upgrading the the turbo and I did find a few downpipes online.

what wiring has to be changed? Or “merged” as you said. I’m confused as to that part, when I have the ECU and harness, everything else on the truck should stay shouldn’t it?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Your best bet one ECU front is to use a DIY PNP2 ECU which supports MAP so you can part with the VAFM and assoc parts making room. If I'm right its OK to use the current trucks harness, just add a vacuum line for the map to the built in ecu sensor. But I agree you have to decide how deep you want to go, with engine swaps being the cheapest.
I’ve used a pnp2 standalone before on a diffrent turbo build. Shouldn’t I be able to use the RTE ecu with the RTE engine in my truck? Since I have the harness and computer?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Off the top of my head

Dash harness isn't PNP, vafm not the same, you have an automatic engine harness and a manual ECU, fuel pump and regulator, radiator, coolant piping and water outlets, pinion ratios..

You're gonna need to look at the FSM for donor and recipient, just like any swap..
Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Dash harness isn't PNP, vafm not the same, you have an automatic engine harness and a manual ECU, fuel pump and regulator, radiator, coolant piping and water outlets, pinion ratios..

You're gonna need to look at the FSM for donor and recipient, just like any swap..

got it, I see now, thanks for clarifying!

i have a friend with a 1986 Turbo, and our engine bays look the same almost. What are the diffrences between the 22RE and RET ecu’s. What happens if you pair a 22RET engine on a 22RE ecu? Im sure its not great, and smarter to do a standalone but im just curious.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
FSM isn't necessary. I have watched roadkill. Just take the hood off, yard the old motor out in a parking lot of auto zone and make 600 trips in to the store.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SlaveCylinder

got it, I see now, thanks for clarifying!

i have a friend with a 1986 Turbo, and our engine bays look the same almost. What are the diffrences between the 22RE and RET ecu’s. What happens if you pair a 22RET engine on a 22RE ecu? Im sure its not great, and smarter to do a standalone but im just curious.
Don't know, don't care to look it all up..

Same thing that can happen when you run anything way to lean, bad things.

Thought you said you've used a tunable ECU before..

Sound like you have a lot of research and trial and error ahead, and/or gonna be paying someone lots of money..
Old 04-13-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
In reality unless you have a thing for the 22ret I would think it's much smarter to go the 3.4 route.

The engine produces good power stock. And is so much newer its easy to fond parts for them.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
FSM isn't necessary. I have watched roadkill. Just take the hood off, yard the old motor out in a parking lot of auto zone and make 600 trips in to the store.
I like your style.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
In reality unless you have a thing for the 22ret I would think it's much smarter to go the 3.4 route.

The engine produces good power stock. And is so much newer its easy to fond parts for them.
The only reason i’m intrested in the RET is because for the harness and engine and ecu, its only $450.

i have a spare, similar size and internal wastegate turbo, that I had planned on sticking on it as it needs a new turbo.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SlaveCylinder

The only reason i’m intrested in the RET is because for the harness and engine and ecu, its only $450.

i have a spare, similar size and internal wastegate turbo, that I had planned on sticking on it as it needs a new turbo.

Same size doesn't mean same specs, there are lots of variables there.

Likely if the turbo failed it took out some engine bits also..

Assume it need rebuild or atleast a full gasket kit, weight that price versus your budget, usage and expectations.

The W series trans might not hold up, as well they out v6 sized differentials in the turbo ones..
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
For the price and effort needed to get any real gains over the 22RE it doesn't seem worth it. Like wyoming9 said, it would be better to swap a newer, more powerful stock 3.4. I'd even cast my vote for a 3RZ over a 22RTE. 150HP vs 135HP and still better MPG's.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Same size doesn't mean same specs, there are lots of variables there.

Likely if the turbo failed it took out some engine bits also..

Assume it need rebuild or atleast a full gasket kit, weight that price versus your budget, usage and expectations.

The W series trans might not hold up, as well they out v6 sized differentials in the turbo ones..
Engine was pulled at 80K and kept the turbo/manifold for his other truck. Not blew up.

yeah it seems like everything i’ve been told is leaning away from doing a RET conversion.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

In the end, it really comes down to what you want from the engine you put in.

Yes, other commonly swapped Toyota engines (2RZ, 3RZ, 5VZ) make more power naturally aspirated. If you are unhappy with the power your 22R-E makes, than one of these other swaps would be better than a turbo.

Any engine swap or build will be much more complicated than simply installing a straight replacement 22R-E. If you are working on a project truck and want to do a turbo conversion for the fun of it, knowing that it isn't going to make gobs of power, that is absolutely fine.

This turbo 4Runner is pretty awesome: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52395476

In order to do a proper conversion, you will need to do quite a bit of research. Adding a turbo is not a simple bolt on procedure. You would need a Turbo ECU (or program your own), Injectors, and other turbo specific parts.

Like I said, it depends on what you want from your engine and having reasonable expectations of how it will perform.

Is there anything wrong with your 22R-E right now?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

In the end, it really comes down to what you want from the engine you put in.

Yes, other commonly swapped Toyota engines (2RZ, 3RZ, 5VZ) make more power naturally aspirated. If you are unhappy with the power your 22R-E makes, than one of these other swaps would be better than a turbo.

Any engine swap or build will be much more complicated than simply installing a straight replacement 22R-E. If you are working on a project truck and want to do a turbo conversion for the fun of it, knowing that it isn't going to make gobs of power, that is absolutely fine.

This turbo 4Runner is pretty awesome: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52395476

In order to do a proper conversion, you will need to do quite a bit of research. Adding a turbo is not a simple bolt on procedure. You would need a Turbo ECU (or program your own), Injectors, and other turbo specific parts.

Like I said, it depends on what you want from your engine and having reasonable expectations of how it will perform.

Is there anything wrong with your 22R-E right now?

You are entirely correct, I think the general bias towards a newer, more powerful swap make more sense than a RET.

I'm not sure what that swap would look like, but the 3.4 swap peaked my interest, especially since its well documented.

No, nothing is wrong with my 22RE, its just tired. 340,000mi on it. So I started to think about contingency planning, and maybe upgrading.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

A conversion to mimic a factory turboed r series, yeah that's going to take some research. However I think I covered the large issues above.

In fact research will tell you the factory 22re is fine to run with stock injectors, stock pump and fuel pressure upto a point (from memory its some where in the 5-10psi range) then you start running out of fueling ability to keep things cool and not overly lean.. Due diligence is always your responsibility.

It really depends on what you want, expectations, usage ect..

Bottom line you need to do the math and research abit. All of it is out there with a few limitations (factory turbo maps you aren't going to find most likely).. Nobody wants to say "sure bolt a turbo to ..." And you come back "I melted xyz, thanks!! #$%&"
Old 04-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Nobody wants to say "sure bolt a turbo to ..." And you come back "I melted xyz, thanks!! #$%&"
^^ This is what I was really getting at in the quoted part above. It is probably painfully obvious that I don't know much about turbo builds, but I guess that is another example of why research is important. No matter what you do, you will want to make sure all of the parts you are installing work together well, and preferably not continuously running at the parts' limits.

Last edited by old87yota; 04-14-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 AM

A conversion to mimic a factory turboed r series, yeah that's going to take some research. However I think I covered the large issues above.

In fact research will tell you the factory 22re is fine to run with stock injectors, stock pump and fuel pressure upto a point (from memory its some where in the 5-10psi range) then you start running out of fueling ability to keep things cool and not overly lean.. Due diligence is always your responsibility.

It really depends on what you want, expectations, usage ect..

Bottom line you need to do the math and research abit. All of it is out there with a few limitations (factory turbo maps you aren't going to find most likely).. Nobody wants to say "sure bolt a turbo to ..." And you come back "I melted xyz, thanks!! #$%&"

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'll have to do some more research in order to properly do a forced induction build.