Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wish we had the newer taco style headlights available for our old trucks.

pulling the cover and painting the housing black would be great.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 PM

no thats not what im talking about they have black headlights for our style trucks i posted the site from ebay its about 4 posts back i just want to know it anyone tried them yet?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have not tried any black lights, but if you're intrested in upgrading your lighting...

hella e-codes!

*low beam*
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM

wow thats nice! how much did you spring for thoes? also got some news from the machine shop so the guy calls me at 930 tonight and says i got some bad news!! i only live 5 min away from him so i ran over there and the cylender that he is trying to sleeve is already sleeved right from jasper! i did not know jasper sleeved there motors but it looks like 2 of the 6 calenders are sleeved and 1 happens to be the one thats cracked! so he tells me im bad luck and i should have bought a chevy then we talk for a little while and he does some searching and the sleeve thats in there is a 3/32nds and they make 1 size bigger which is a 1/8th so hes going to order a new sleeve and i should have my motor back thursday instead of tomarow ill tell you what tho after he bored the cylender our just .05 of an inch that crack was plain as day... also so far from what we can tell the crack doesnt go all the way through the block its just the sleeve that is cracked. so i guess thats it for now still no one tried an MDS on a 3.0? ill post some more later this week im sure..
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Ok i found a MSD post and from what i can tell it doesnt really do much for your truck so im not going to worry about installing that just yet ill work on that later when i have less problems to deal with
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Cool Update 10/28

Alright went to the machine shop last night everything is PERFECT sleeve fit in he milled down the head surface cleaned it all up i think i even talked him into putting the bottom end back together for me!! im pretty excited about that! it would be a TON of work for me right now and its snowing outside and i don't have a heated shop Id like to do it myself i really would but ive been on a time schedule since i started this and im already behind 5 weeks!! its time for me to get out of this crappy state and go home so i need to get this project done. So im ordering my barrings and gaskit set as i type this. once i get that ill be sending the barrings over to him and the next day ill have a complete bottom end back then will come the oil pan heads intake and FINALLY A RUNNING TRUCK WHOOO.. ill post pics of everything still and thanks for the help yall
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM

nice build buddy and like the dedication that u put into your 3.turd.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YoterUp
Alright went to the machine shop last night everything is PERFECT sleeve fit in he milled down the head surface cleaned it all up i think i even talked him into putting the bottom end back together for me!! im pretty excited about that! it would be a TON of work for me right now and its snowing outside and i don't have a heated shop Id like to do it myself i really would but ive been on a time schedule since i started this and im already behind 5 weeks!! its time for me to get out of this crappy state and go home so i need to get this project done. So im ordering my barrings and gaskit set as i type this. once i get that ill be sending the barrings over to him and the next day ill have a complete bottom end back then will come the oil pan heads intake and FINALLY A RUNNING TRUCK WHOOO.. ill post pics of everything still and thanks for the help yall
excellent! though you should still spray that engine bay while you have a chance.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM

I know i should it would look better but im so tired of working on this thing right now i've had way to many problems im not worried about the small stuff at the moment ill deal with all that later. plus i never see it it wont bother me to much. plus its to cold to pain here right now its been snowing and crappy the last 4 days. id have to heat the shop and let it sit then i would have to be extra careful putting everything back not to scratch it its just to much to deal with right now, plus im 5 weeks behind and i cant afford to loose any more time then i already have i was supposed to be in texas doing clean up 3 weeks ago...

I want to re post the total amount spent again and im going to add the new stuff to it.

1. 1990 toyota pickup SR5 232,000 miles/w topper =$2000
2. 1993 toyota pickup SR5 donor truck=$400
3. paint job and body work Black with blue+green flake=$900
4. motor tranny tcase drive shaft swapped from donor truck=$300
5. swaped rear end by myself=$0
6. doors and interior from junk yard=$125
7. scraped the rest of donor truck= +$285
8. Sold original motor out of the 90 with 232,000 miles plus topper= +$550
9. Flip out tv owned prior to build-0$ (paid 350$)

Total so far
-$3725
+$835
---------
-$2890 total for this project..
Still not finished.....

NEWLY ADDED---------------
Undercoating 3 cans-15$
Tail gate net+shipping-27$
Gaskit kit including head bolts, oil pump, trust washers, rod and main barrings+shipping-222.50$
Machine shop labor, sleeve, 1 piston, 1 set of rings-220$
Machine shop polished my crank-20$
Machine shop to put the bottom end back together 100$

------------
old total -$2890
added parts total -$604.50
New total -$3494.50
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM

just a simple question, why didnt you purchase the whole rebuild kit for your engine? hell i still have a full set of pistons for my 3.0 and i dont even have my runner anymore. and bearings are a must when building, i dont care how good you are, you will never reset them as they where. if you have it apart do it right, i know you have a budget but there are things you dont skimp on. now this is just my .02. i've only rebuilt 2 3.0's in the last year and i would definitly recommend a 3.4 or a 1uzfe, but i know these dont fit your budget, its just what i would do because there just isnt enough power in those 3.0's to move the truck or runners properly, although i do love the looks of the 2nd gens, i've been looking at 3rd gens and even jeep cherokees, dohhhhh
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM

i had a jeep even tho it never did me wrong i wont own another and i didnt skip on the barrings they are in the price list up there right before polishing the crank for them! the only thing i didnt get was all new pistons and thats cause i dont need them the motor only had 1500 miles on it to begin with i did get 1 new piston and thats the one that got destroyed by the washer.. i had a 3.4 tacoma i know what they do and to tell ya the truth its not worth the swap the power gain compared to the money spent its better to go stock 3. slow or a 4.3 swap! thats my opinion.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Do they make a high volume oil pump for the 3.0? and do you think you would need one only bored 30 over? there is no other modifications.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a jeep even tho it never did me wrong i wont own another and i didnt skip on the barrings they are in the price list up there right before polishing the crank for them! the only thing i didnt get was all new pistons and thats cause i dont need them the motor only had 1500 miles on it to begin with i did get 1 new piston and thats the one that got destroyed by the washer.. i had a 3.4 tacoma i know what they do and to tell ya the truth its not worth the swap the power gain compared to the money spent its better to go stock 3. slow or a 4.3 swap! thats my opinion.
+1 on the 3.4 swap...

7M-GTE is where its at haha
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

The kit with the 200mm Hella e-code kit with 80/100watt hella premium XEON blue bulbs is about $120.00 us. I paid a little more getting it shipped up here, worth every penny though! The difference was amazing

www.rallylights.com
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM

missed the part about only 1500 miles, doooh. sorry..
oh and i noticed on one of your last posts your not worried about the small stuff, thats when ya need a break and beer and a b*, it'll help ya through the bs of all ur doing
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Do they make a high volume oil pump for the 3.0? and do you think you would need one only bored 30 over? there is no other modifications.
no they dont, and you'd never need one, your stock pump will be more than plenty..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM

thanks i was worried about that. and thanks for calling me out on the small stuff!! i guess its a little give and take i want to do it all but once i realize how much there is it would take me weeks to do everything i still want to do . the lift rims tires system bull bar lights step bars cold air intake MSD beefed up alternator and starter tinted windows camo roof liner on board air gears lockers its never ending ... im going to stick with what i need to do to get it back on the road for now after that i will pick and choose the important small stuff first then work my way up! but thanks yall
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Don't do a "cold air intake" Do an ISR mod and be done with it!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM

explain IRS mod..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Intake
Silencer
Removal

You remove the intake from the TB and airbox, including the big silencer that bolts to the BOTTOM of the airbox (you leave the top small silencer on). Replace it with 3" exhaust pipe (or alike tubing) and attach your two fittings.

Try a search, and just so you have an idea, my ISR mod:

Quick Reply: 90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS