Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get the flywheel off, start a tranny bolt and use a prybar to hold the flywheel in place w/ the bolt as a pivot.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Impact gun will zip off those cam sprockets and flywheel bolts in a heartbeat.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 AM

how am i sposed to tighten them back on then?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:48 AM

check out enginbuilder for the rebuild kit he had some of the best prices that i could find and he has good rapport with some of the people on this site.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM

Update 10/13

Well i got real bad news for myself and some good news to i guess ill start typing while my pictures load so i left my house at 8 this morning thinking i would easliy find thoes stupid 12mm thread bolts nope took me 2 hours had to check 10 differant places eventually found them they were 3$ a piece.. so that was nice then they wanted 30$ for the stupid cam puller tool and i didnt feel like springing for that glad i didnt found a much better and fast way pull thoes sprockets!! i have a picture ill show you. so finally put the motor on the stand found out that when i spun the crank 360 degrees it would stuck and lock up after a full turn in the exact same spot so i followed it around did some checking and ended up finding it was i needed to pull the heads i pulled the pasenger side 1st it was fine then pulled the driver side looks like the guy who put my motor in dropped a washer of some kind in the 6th cylender just to emphasize how upset i was.... so i got to looking and the top of the piston was pretty chewd up same ad the bottom of the head but it didnt mess up the valves any and did seem to scratch the cylender walls any at fist glance that is... got to looking and double checking and it looks like theres a crack in the cylender wall cant tell yet if its a grove or crackjust by looking but its looking more like a crack then grove just by the nakind eye crack so im planning for the worst any one have any knowlege on how hard a 350 swap would be at this point? just looking for a few numbers maby a full detailed instruction book!! or something thats all like what i will need to adapt my tranny to run the same running grear i can get a built 350 real cheap but how much on average does that swap coast not including the motor keeping the same running grear? if you have any sites or links i could visit id apreciate that but untill then here are some pics and ill be taking the block to a machine shop to have them check and see if thats a crack or groove i couldnt get a real pic of it its hard to see but ill keep yall updated!! thanks

Started the day with organizing a little it was starting to get a little mess and hard to keep things in order laying all over the floor!!

Finally got thoes darn bolt to get the motor on the stand!!

This is the MUCH easier way to pull the sprocket the cam has a spot on it for a 1 1/16 wrench half way down. doesnt hurt the cam at all to tourq on it the cam barely even moved after i got the bolt off with an impact i even tourqed it back down to spec with a tourq wrench and it did it without a problem no need for that stupid 30$ pully thing!

Passenger side

Driver SIDE

So this is whare i sit for the next few days i guess ill let yall know whats next on the agenda please any info links prices cheapes way easiest way full infor on a 350 swap!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Update 10/13

Ok last time i posted i was a little upset well maby a little more then a little upset!! haha alright well things got Slightly better today i took the motor half torn apart, look at pics, to the mill shop and it is cracked!! BUT he told me that he can re-sleave it without a problem if worst comes to worse soo as it sits now i have to COMPLETELY strip the motor down to a bare block and take it to him he said something about running a rough hone through it im not sure what he called it but it will show the crack better and he will be able to tell how bad it actually is and if it goes all the way through to the water or if its not that deep yet after then we will figure out exactly what will happen looks like hes going to boar it then sleave it and bring it back to stock jasper piston size that i have now so its only going to coast me $125 for him to do the sleave then 55$ for a new piston and rings i might have to get a new rod still unsure on a cupple other things to i will make a full list as i tare the motor down the rest of the way i can file down the groves on my head the washer didnt hit my valves so no need to get a new one and i will still come out of this at around 500$ after its all said and done. not to bad i think.

125$ re-sleave
55$ 1 piston a ring set
200$ 1 gaskit kit (to put the motor back together)
--------------------------------------------------

380$ total price of not sticking a rag in a darn hole and letting a .10cent washer drop in!!!!!

just to ask anyone have any techniques to striping the motor down i know it all has to stay PERFECTLY organized and everything has to go back where it came from just wondering if there is any other tricks of the trade thanks yall ill have more pics most likely tomaro..

Last edited by YoterUp; 10-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:34 PM

just to throw this in how do yall feel about partsdinosaur.com. it seems like i can more customize my parts and hes not to expensive i think anyone got anything to compare?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM

nice rebuild i wish i had the money to do the job my engine might need some rebuilding cause it bogs down so mutch no balls what so ever
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 AM

its not as hard as i thought it was going to be it is annoying tho finding new things wrong after you think your almost done! i would say if i had 1 person helping and all the parts and tools i needed depending on the mill shop i would say it would take me 6 hours to pull the motor and have it on a stand and have the heads pulled off another 6 hours to strip the block down bare, then send it off to the mill shop its would probley take me a whole day to put it all back together and tourq everything back down to specs plus a few hours the nest day to put it back in so id say this job can be done in a weeks time by anyone who has mechanical experiance and the tools. thats just my opinion tho.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Update 10-14

Just wanted to update today i got the block torn down and its going to the machine shop tomaro i finally got a decent picture of my crack no one has told me anything about where to get my gaskits or anything so i guess i will be going to the dinosaur website.

What it started as this morning

The crack i need to get fixed!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am by no means an expert but back when I was playing mechanic a crack like that was fatal unless it was a diesel and could be sleeved. Do they make sleeves for gassers?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM

yes they do i wrote it in the last 2 posts ive made i know i wrote a lot so no one probable read it. i took it to 2 machine shops both told me to sleave it and it would be like brand new. they bore it over sleave it then bore the sleave back to your piston size. i tried to take it to him tonight no dice he was gone before i got there so ill be bringin it to him tomaro and ordering my parts!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM

man no one comments anything anymore theirs no point to even post anything no one anwsers questions nothing....
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 AM

i was just wondering if anyone knows another build similar to mine on here im looking for some pics i found 1 a guy did a frame up on a 91 that wasnt bad im looking for more pics tho anyone know of anything? thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 PM

Well, you're a little unclear on what you're looking for.

Try some punctuation.

If I were you, I'd take this opportunity to let the truck sit for a while, and save up for bigger better engine rather than put a lot of time and effort into a 3VZE (arguably the worst Toyota engine ever) with a cracked block.

Here's a thread I found with one search for "3VZE rebuild"

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-120824/

Last edited by T-1000; 10-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-1000
Well, you're a little unclear on what you're looking for.

Try some punctuation.

If I were you, I'd take this opportunity to let the truck sit for a while, and save up for bigger better engine rather than put a lot of time and effort into a 3VZE (arguably the worst Toyota engine ever) with a cracked block.

Here's a thread I found with one search for "3VZE rebuikd"

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-120824/
I do believe he meant the entire rebuild process he is going through, not just the engine.. haha
Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 AM

haha tru. i dont know what im looking for to tell you the truth i just want to see what other people are doing ya know, ideas and moaby some guidelines truthfully i cant let this truck sit its been down to long and its my dd ive bee barrowing my dads extra car for the past 3 months he kinda wants it back. im really not throwing that much money into it either by the time this one is back together ill have roughly 500$ into it. i also hate the v6 so you dont have to convince me of anything ive had every toyota motor and the 22re is still on the top of the list ive owend 1 22r carberated 2 22re fuel injected and 2 3.0s i also had a 3.4 in a single cab tacoma 5 speed and a 4.0 tacoma the new one so ive been around the block!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM

also another thing i figured out at the machine shop yesterday that jasper motors come pre. bored .75mm over which is equal to .30 thats alot of side wall to take out of these v6s isnt it i dunno just seemed a little much to me i thought they would only go .10 over, huh weard
Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know people get tired of hearing it, but you're that far in...find a 3.4 and swap.

I haven't regretted my decision. Ever.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM

im telling you guys its not going to happen. its going to stay a 3.slow. it was made that way it will DIE that way! its only a street queen it will probley be up for sale in a few months anyways as soon as i finish a project the way i want it i usually sell it for something elts. plus id swap a 4.3 or a 350 if i did any swap at all!

Quick Reply: 90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS