Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS

Im going to start with a picture of what i sold to start this project!
-97 Tacoma 3inch rough country suspension 33/12.50-20 mudd grapplers 20in HD Monster rims. flip out touch screen 7in Tv 2 flat kicker 12s with a 1000watt kicker amp. all done myself, Sold it for $10,500.

Now the project. I cant find pics of when i fist bought it but i have the first steps of the build

-90 Toyota pickup SR5 232,000 miles small wrecked in front multiple dents in every panel of the truck even the roof not much rust weak rear end but it has potential got it for $2000.

these are the closest pics to the beginning i can find. I striped all stickers off the doors and started the body work you can see by the green where all the dents were one door was rusted out on the bottom so i got a set from the junk yard and used the insides and one of the doors to swap from auto windows and lock to manual im not a big fan of electric stuff in my trucks it seems to short out also see the miss matched interior it was once blue it will be changed to gray, switched from center counsel and 2 bucket seats to a 60/40 bench i like the arm rest better!

The reason i started this project was my uncle about 3 years ago had a similar truck he took out a loan and spent 8000$ rebuilding his he had a 3500$ jasper motor put in had the tranny and t case rebuilt new drive shafts made and a new rear end put in 4 weeks later is snowed the roads got icy and he flipped the truck totaling it out with only 1500miles on all the new parts it has sat for 3 years and had all those new parts so i decided to put them to use i bought his junk truck for 400$ he was tired of looking at it i swapped all parts with his truck motor tranny tcase rear end and interior. then i sold my motor with 232,000miles for 500$ and scraped the body and frame of the other truck for 300$

this is the new motor in the truck i guess it was alot to expect it to just run perfect! ha nothings that easy got it all put in and hooked up and it was time to turn the key!!!!!! it started! with a knock.. sounds like a rod knock toward the back of the motor we disconnected the solenoid and turned it over with out letting it start and it wont knock then we turned it back on with the solenoid back on taking the plug wires out one at a time and it knocked no matter which wire we took off so that's where im stuck at now im in the process of pulling the motor again i still cant think of what would cause a knock just from sitting the motor still ran perfect after it got flipped.

i will have some more pics of the new paint job later today with all the body work done and the new interior done, i have to get the rest off my camera.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Ok just uploaded some more pics this will catch me up to where i am at now in the build.

Trucks new paint job its hard to see cause its still got a layer of paint dust on it i have to wait 3 days then give it a warm bath before you can really see it, its a Pearl black with blue and green sparkles and silver 2 tone.

Finished up the interior swapping it from blue to gray. i still have a blue steering wheel i need to find one with the same cruise control hook ups the one that was gray were different need a roof liner to i have a sun roof and the donor truck didn't so the roof was not the same i also installed the new 7in flip out TV!!d

this is as far as ive gotten pulling the motor again got the radiator, fan shroud, fan out, ive got most of the bell housing bolts backed off and i cant get the power steering pump off the bolt that lets it come off i cant get out because the pulley is in the way and i cant get the pulley off because its in free spin. ill figure it out. i also dont have enough extensions to get to the exhaust bolts and my cherry picker is at the shop not home. i shoudl have the motor pulled by this weekend ill keep this updated.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you got better rims for it the black/gray looks pretty good not to sure about the metal flake for a off road truck seems like a bad or atleast expensive idea but to each his/her own.
While you got the motor out and have to rebuild it why not a 3.4 swap?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM

I havnt done the lift and rims/tires yet, and i dont have the money for a 3.4 swap ialready got my donor truck if i did a different motor id go with a 350 or a 4.3. plus this one is my daily driver i already have a mudd truck this on is going to be a street queen. im thinking about going with the 5inch rough country lift and either some 33in baha claws with 15in Micky Thompson 2 rims or 33in mudgraplers with 20in black moto metal rims. that will be my project once i finish the motor and drive back to Florida. and the paint job was actually pretty cheap a friend of the family owns a body shop he did the work for me cheap i got all the body work done plus the paint job for 1200$ and he helped me pull the old motor and put the new one in.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
holy crap man, good job!

I wish I had the time to run through my truck like that, lol, but then again it's my DD and it's needed every day...

so is it gunna be trail-ready, or just a rebuild to OEM?

EDIT

well nevermind, after reading your last post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Update 10/12

The motor is finally back out got the oil pan off and the manifolds i tried to put it on the motor stand but i cant beacuse my tranny bolts are to short and i cant get them to thread!! also had a problem pulling a part off the pasenger side manifold ill show you in a picture! still have no idea what is wrong im going to try and get the heads off tonight ill be headed to the hardware store to find some longer bolts!

This is the part im talking about i snapped both bolts that bolt it to the manifold i dont even know exactly what this is but i might need to get a new pasenger side manifold or does any one know where i can get some cheap downy headers??
Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 AM

That is the PAIR reed valve.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks great!!!
keep up with the pictures
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Im stuck right now does anyone know where i can find longer bell housing bolts so i can put the motor on the motor stand i just got back from auto zone they have nothing i will try napa tomaro also they told me they want 540$ for a rebuild kit with pistons rings main baring and a few other parts but is doesnt even come with the gaskit kit. than they have another kit thats 870$ that comes with new cams pistons rings and a gaskit kit. i think thats a little high anyone know a better place to get prices? just the gaskit kit by itself they want 198$. also in the manual they say i need a special tool to pull the bolts off the timeing belt the ones that hold the gear the the cam if you dont understand what im talking about i can take a picture.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:35 PM

this is what im talking about they say theirs a special tool to hold the gears still while you take the bolts off any one know another way to do it without messing anything up i cant get a screw driver in there the plate behind it is in the way.. or does anyone know where i can rent or buy the tool?

Last edited by YoterUp; 10-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 PM

I had to order bolts from a nut and bolt store to get my 22r to mount up to the engine stand
Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 PM

well that sounds pretty ridiculous i cant believe they dont have them in stock anywhere i went to tractor supply today to and they didnt have anything either. oh well ill check nappa and a few other places when they open tomorrow i also got on ebay and found a rebuild kit for ALOT cheaper then auto zone had them for less then half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Engine-Rebuild-K...d=p3286.c0.m14

thats the link to the rebuild kit on ebay does anyone have any experience with something like this? does it make since to buy a 570$ kit from auto zone or do you think it would be ok getting a 250$ kit off ebay?

Last edited by YoterUp; 10-12-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there was at least one thread (maybe two) I've seen in the last 60 days that deal with the cam sprocket removal...
maybe search?

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-12-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:36 PM

the search on this site sucks you have to type in almost exactly what the poster put on his thread or i would have not asked the question i guess i can look for it again it also helps when you know exactly what its called that im looking for or if you know where it is you could post a link to the page it would help a little more then just criticizing me for asking a question on my build page

Last edited by YoterUp; 10-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice rebuild.

while you have the engine pulled, you should spray the engine bay..

and why the 92+ grille?

I'll be doing the exact same with my truck, only it will be an sr5 swap, gray interior swap, complete respray, and a 5 speed swap. I will also be fully rebuilding my motor. I have a spare frame that I intend to restore to better-than-factory condition, and in the meantime, get my body all painted/engine rebuilt. It will be a brand new truck. Seeing your thread has further encouraged me to dive into my project!

subscribed.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Good that's the idea its really not that hard of a project once you start this truck was bad off when i started it the paint and body work turned out great! this is pretty much a whole new truck and the 93 grill is off my donor truck because my original grill was cracked in half this truck had a small front end wreck when i bought it so i had to replace the passenger head light turn signal bumper valance and grill and the donor truck i got had all of them so i just swapped it all out...

also here is a price guide to how much i have invested so far..

1. 1990 toyota pickup SR5 232,000 miles/w topper =$2000
2. 1993 toyota pickup SR5 donor truck=$400
3. paint job and body work Black with blue+green flake=$900
4. motor tranny tcase drive shaft swapped from donor truck=$300
5. swaped rear end by myself=$0
6. doors and interior from junk yard=$125
7. scraped the rest of donor truck= +$285
8. Sold original motor out of the 90 with 232,000 miles plus topper= +$550

Total so far
-$3725
+$835
---------
-$2890 total for this project..
Still not finished.....
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM

The bolts (on my R150F-3VZE) were 12mmx1.25. I got them at ACE. (not cheap tho...)
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM

i dont care about cheap they cant be that much anyways theres just bolts and i only need 4 i could probley get away with 2 or 3 ill check them out tomaro if i cant find them at nappa thanks man!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM

They were around 5 bucks, which I thought was ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM

use an impact to get those off. Like how you need a tool to remove the bolts on the flywheel (flywheel holder) impact takes crap off fast

Quick Reply: 90 Sr5 Rebuild Paint Everything! PICS