Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4 cyl 2.4 problems. please help!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4 cyl 2.4 problems. please help!!!!!!

Newbie to the forum. Newbie to Yota's as well. This '89 pickup is my first but I'm already hooked. Anyway, new distributor cap, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter. I've only had it about a month. Sometimes it starts fine. Other times it cranks over but will not start. I'm leaning toward fuel pump, but not sure. Example: start it up, drive a couple miles and come home, go back out a hour latet, cranks but wont start. Next day, starts fine but repeats the previous. Tips please. Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its a cold start issue there is a cold start injector . my connector came loose a couple times it was hard to start cranking and cranking . its located on the intake manifold about center above valve cover side . next i would check the wire connections at the air cleaner there is a door inside the air moving past opens ,this tells the fuel pump come on via relays . i see it seems to start fine after its cold id check these anyway good luck

Last edited by mikesnyhere; 09-28-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would check the coil on it. A quick check of the Primaries and Secondary with a resistance check will let you know real quick.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 AM

I'll try out tonight. Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Codes 12, 24, 31 and 51. Anyone have any on where to find codes identification.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Here's a good site on them, I actually printed them & put them in my Haynes. http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/
I actually think it's a good idea to look over them, fix 1 or two, then recheck codes again. Sometimes fixing one problem cures other ones- Good Luck & hope this may help you!

Last edited by DenverCityCat; 10-07-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JonG85
I'll try out tonight. Thanks guys
Pull a spark plug, attach the spark plug wire back to it and lay it somewhere where the bottom of the plug is touching the engine or metal attached to the engine , have someone look at it while you turn it over (do all this when you have problems starting it), if it sparks then your issue is fuel, if it doesn't its electrical. Go from there my son.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Papadeath
Pull a spark plug, attach the spark plug wire back to it and lay it somewhere where the bottom of the plug is touching the engine or metal attached to the engine , have someone look at it while you turn it over (do all this when you have problems starting it), if it sparks then your issue is fuel, if it doesn't its electrical. Go from there my son.
But Papa, what if I have spark and I can smell the fuel?

​​​​​​(While helpful in some cases, your answer is very incomplete..)

In this particular case with a code 12, code 12 is no NE position signal to the ECU, there are atleast three wire runs and three connectors that could be making intermittent signal. And only half of this part of the ignition comes into play during STArt since there is no ECU ignitor interaction when the key is in the start position on a 22re..

Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
But Papa, what if I have spark and I can smell the fuel?

​​​​​​(While helpful in some cases, your answer is very incomplete..)

In this particular case with a code 12, code 12 is no NE position signal to the ECU, there are atleast three wire runs and three connectors that could be making intermittent signal. And only half of this part of the ignition comes into play during STArt since there is no ECU ignitor interaction when the key is in the start position on a 22re..

that's why I said test it when its not working. Another quick way to tell if it's fuel related like possibly your fuel pump is to squirt a little quick start in the air box. But always check electrical before. This may be basic but it always works. You mentioned earlier that you thought it could be the fuel pump. And without actually seeing your truck a detailed diagnosis is practically impossible. I also didn't reply to or saw the part where you were asking about the codes it threw, but that's all over the internet.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Well, I hope the Thread Starter figured out their problem by now. Their last reply was in October of 2015!

The following users liked this post:
5 Fists (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Papadeath
that's why I said test it when its not working.
And without actually seeing your truck a detailed diagnosis is practically impossible.
My point was that performing this step as you described can actually change the behavior. For example if i have a broken wire or loose connection between the pickup and ignitor. My reaching across that wire to access the sparkplug can change its behavior because I inadvertently touched it and it completed the circuit, so now I am working off the fuel system checklist but I've actually got an ignition fault.. (Which the computer has already confirmed by setting trouble code 12!)

Always chase the codes first and not a particular symptom.

Your second statement highlighted above is patently false, we do this all the time. Made possible by our beloved engineering department at Toyota who provided us with the factory service manual which contains specific steps (a trouble shooting flow chart, and system by system specifications and tests) that are easily followed and prevent "chasing your tail".

I'm not knocking you for trying to help at all, just saying you could probably provide more details.

PS. Yeah I saw it was a necro thread just didn't care since it wasn't related to my response.
old87yota (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by JonG85
Codes 12, 24, 31 and 51. Anyone have any on where to find codes identification.
Fwiw, if you have all these codes you probably forgot to hook everything back up like the vafm, tps, and distributor.. Or you might want to look at the VCC circuit (5vref) on the ECU and where it might be shorting out. They are respectively, no crank position, no air temp, no air, and no IDLe signal while in diagnostics mode.

And I'd highly looking for trouble codes on places that support the community like 4Crawler or even LCE over a random ad revenue based website.

old87yota (01-23-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:24 PM

yeehaa

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
My point was that performing this step as you described can actually change the behavior. For example if i have a broken wire or loose connection between the pickup and ignitor. My reaching across that wire to access the sparkplug can change its behavior because I inadvertently touched it and it completed the circuit, so now I am working off the fuel system checklist but I've actually got an ignition fault.. (Which the computer has already confirmed by setting trouble code 12!)

Always chase the codes first and not a particular symptom.

Your second statement highlighted above is patently false, we do this all the time. Made possible by our beloved engineering department at Toyota who provided us with the factory service manual which contains specific steps (a trouble shooting flow chart, and system by system specifications and tests) that are easily followed and prevent "chasing your tail".

I'm not knocking you for trying to help at all, just saying you could probably provide more details.

PS. Yeah I saw it was a necro thread just didn't care since it wasn't related to my response.
You know, brother. There are always variables, which is why we go out as nd buy ridiculously expensive pieces of equipment that still leave us in the dark. Nuff said I was just giving a very basic suggestion that's been working for me for many years.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
nice work!