Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 22re won't start Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 22re won't start Please HELP

I'll try and make this as short and clear as possible.

I picked up an 84 toyota pickup bobbed bed Toyota e locker in the rear and spooled front diff Trail Gear fj80 upgraded high steer 35 mudders etc etc.
It also has a 22re from an 87 toyota four runner with around 170xxx on it. heres my issue thursday i drove it home and parked it, didn't try and drive it till sunday morning and it didnt start at all. The truck always didnt like starting in the cold, had to crank it for awhile before it would start but it always did. (probably to do with the cold start injector issue.

so here's what ive checked already to narrow it down: I started with checking spark and although spark is yellow there is spark going to the plugs.
cleaned cap rotor swapped wires and has new plugs.
Spark seems not to be the issue although seems kinda weak so i checked fuel next the truck has two filters for some reason one under bed and one under fuel rail as per usual. the engines getting fuel to the rail and back of the injections and to the CS injector. so i pulled the injectors and put in other ones i had around no change or starting. itll start for a split second sometimes mainly if i let it sit for awhile but never actually run.
Next i looked into the cold start injector how ever i don't think this is what's making it not start because its started for awhile being hard to start but it might be. I pulled the CS injector out and tested it - no spray when cranking. so i hooked up a 12v supply to the injector and it sprays so the injector is fine. hooked the power through the wiring and injector works through there to. so that means the CS injector switch (brown two brown connection next to coolant temp sensor under intake) must not be working. I lost my mulimeter so tomorrow im getting a new one and checking the 30-40 volts between the switch.
My question is would the CS injector not working (switch) keep the truck from starting at all? outside temp only gets down to around 40 at night here in nor cal.
Also under the igniter and coil there are two black recistors bolted to one ground. one has two wires coming out of it and the other only has one. the one with one wire has snapped off. i have no idea what these are or know if they would keep the truck from starting. i can post pics of it if i figure out how to post them. (yes im a newbie)

besides checking the switch and replacing it if its bad Im pretty stuck here Please let me know if there is more things ive missed or overlooked and what to do next.

Attached Thumbnails 87 22re won't start Please HELP-img_7866.jpg   87 22re won't start Please HELP-img_7865.jpg   87 22re won't start Please HELP-img_7864.jpg   87 22re won't start Please HELP-img_7863.jpg   87 22re won't start Please HELP-img_7633.jpg  

Last edited by projectbetsy; 02-02-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
CSI not spraying fuel would cause hard starting but should not prevent starting. (Some Info here)