86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE Headers... And other things!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
You left it stock right? Kind of my point.

The 3.slow in stock form is what it is. A half decent 80s design and the first of the Toyota Truck EFI. Good enough to push the truck from point A to B as long as you aren't in a hurry.

It does NOT respond well to performance mods. There are severe limitations throughout the system and even if you spend the big bucks to enhance all the mechanical ones, you are still up against a computer which is not tuneable and severely limits performance.
You can't put any power adders on with out blowing out the headgaskets or spinning a bearing.

If you address every single problem area like I did, you'll get maybe 25% increase and a wider powerband. It's a LOT of money, work and tuning as well as risk. On it's best day a highly polished 3.turd will maybe have as much power as a bone stock 3.4.

Screaming? You are kidding right?
I think that's groaning and crying you hear, not screaming
Yeah its stock and fast as a rabbit with its butt on fire , I don't have all those tires and 4WD even so I guess its prolly quite a bit lighter than you guys trks
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Post More clarification and an update...

I don't have:
-Lift kit
-HUGE tires
-rims

I do have:
-Roll bars
-step bars

I don't really take her off road too much. She's got 4wd and she takes the snow and minor excursions well. I don't plan on doing too much besides a few engine mods. At the moment, her current height suits my needs. Rims would be nice, but I haven't found a set that I like. My tires are bigger than stock but that's about it. They aren't anything spectacular and probably won't be. She's still in great shape and I wanted to see if I could get a little more power out of the motor since it's already out and being rebuilt.

This morning I ordered the head studs, rods and crankshaft from DOA (yeah, I'm probably fsk'd at this point ). I'll have to look a the studs before I install them. Worst case, I'll return them due to poor quality or something. I'll have my machine shop inspect everything else to make sure that it's quality stuff.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
cancel your order!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Im kinda in the same boat, 92 v6 4x4 man trans nothin fancy, stock suspension, stock tires (street i may add, no A/T's here) all i had before was a KN intake, then i blew the HG (most likely cause i ran it low on water) but b4 that, it ran fine, id do 105mph (then the gov kicks in) on the freeway easy. Now that im doin the HG, Im plannin on some headers, leanin towards Downey, but will check out NWOR. Also doin a lil porting. That with a valve job, i think i should be runnin like new, if not better. But im not expectin v8-type output. Wish i wouldve known they made bigger valve, would have looked into them, but the machine shop called yesterday, the heads are done.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xero256
I don't have:
-Lift kit
-HUGE tires
-rims

I do have:
-Roll bars
-step bars

I don't really take her off road too much. She's got 4wd and she takes the snow and minor excursions well. I don't plan on doing too much besides a few engine mods. At the moment, her current height suits my needs. Rims would be nice, but I haven't found a set that I like. My tires are bigger than stock but that's about it. They aren't anything spectacular and probably won't be. She's still in great shape and I wanted to see if I could get a little more power out of the motor since it's already out and being rebuilt.

This morning I ordered the head studs, rods and crankshaft from DOA (yeah, I'm probably fsk'd at this point ). I'll have to look a the studs before I install them. Worst case, I'll return them due to poor quality or something. I'll have my machine shop inspect everything else to make sure that it's quality stuff.
Originally Posted by Jay351
cancel your order!!!
D.O.A = Dead On Arrival ...........General Opinion
Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have reviewed DOA's feedback and looked at photos of their parts. I would stay clear of that business based on angry buyer's feedbacks. Like suggested, search this site for their "belt sanded 3.0 heads" vs machined, cheesy looking head studs and very poor customer no service. I would cancel the order or return the parts immediately. Engine Builder is a mechanical engineer and knows his parts. I am a mechanical engineer and I have rebuilt many 22R's and 3.0's. Neither engine was designed for performance. The 3.0 bottom end is weak. Small bearings and forklift motor type heads. Remember, you are working with only 188 cubic inches of motor. One horsepower per cubic inch is a good efficient motor. Good luck getting that from the 3.0. Its bigger and smoother than the 22r but that is it. Consider a Ford 302 Ho or a Chevy V6. Pull the computer and wiring harness from the passenger side and get simple. That 3.0 is a true MF to work on and God forbid if your passenger valve cover starts leaking.

My $0.02
Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

i understand an accept that it isnt an will never be a Race engine. But would like to get more out of what i already have. Mind you that I live and drive it in CA, so it needs to stay smog-able. How would a 3.4 affect that?

PS: in the future a far far future, i probably will do something like that. But only when i know it will never see the streets- legally. hehehe
Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Can't cancel the order without paying a 25% fee on the whole $1800 order. I figure I may as well take the parts and have them inspected before I use them. Either way he'll probably charge me an azzload of fees for anything. Hell, I'm suprised the phone number wasn't a 1-900 number.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green93
What size tires and/or lift does your buddy have?
He's running 31x10.50 no lift
Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't cancel the order without paying a 25% fee on the whole $1800 order. I figure I may as well take the parts and have them inspected before I use them. Either way he'll probably charge me an azzload of fees for anything. Hell, I'm suprised the phone number wasn't a 1-900 number.
OUCH!

yet another reason why not to deal with that crook
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM

I'd say take the $450 hit and call a spade a spade.

Does this guy KNOW that his reputation online is so poor? Has anyone attempted to tip him off or has he ever come on here to try and defend himself?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Then wait until they arrive and say you are unhappy with them and send them back , its your motor
Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Already marked what was probably the DOA charge as fradulent (it was a lot more than the total of the parts, tax and shipping) and called DOA to cancel the order. We'll see how it pans out. I have a bit of paperwork to do in the morning as well as another trip to the machine shop so I can get prices on the parts I need.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I'd say take the $450 hit and call a spade a spade.

Does this guy KNOW that his reputation online is so poor? Has anyone attempted to tip him off or has he ever come on here to try and defend himself?
well hes all over pirate bb and i have posted a long tread about him, ill edit this later with the link. unfortunately he has alot of backing from the 22r/22r-e guys over on pirate so he stays alive and in busness. hes a crook stay away from him, his heads cost me over 2000 dollars just in parts and re-machining good thing i did all the manual labor.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Already marked what was probably the DOA charge as fradulent (it was a lot more than the total of the parts, tax and shipping) and called DOA to cancel the order. We'll see how it pans out. I have a bit of paperwork to do in the morning as well as another trip to the machine shop so I can get prices on the parts I need.
Cool , from the number of people that have nothing good to say I would say your doing the right thing and your truck will thank you by living a long life
Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 PM

I'm working with DOA on canceling the order. I'll post an update later on how this pans out.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Emmission laws state that you can replace an older motor with a more modern one.

Ie remove and discard the 3.slow and put in a 3.4. You will need to reuse the 3.4's emmission equip, but since you are cannibalizing a truck anyway, this should be a no brainer. It'll probably require it anyway since it relies on the 02 in front and behind the CAT.
With a little smart shopping the swap to 3.4 will cost about what it'll cost you to fix & upgrade your 3.slow.

As for Dead on Arrival - come on now, do you really want to be one of the dumb ones who ignored the name of the company and had the Dead On Arrival experience (me included.) Slick Willie (Tim) can talk a good line, but the real result is anything but. Run away.