Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE Headers... And other things!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3VZE Headers... And other things!

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup, extended cab, 4wd, manual, 3.0 V6. Put the front end under water last year and bent the #6 rod. yay. Lost some torque and power, rough idle, besides that no difference - even in mpg (still get 17-18). Now comes the fun part of rebuilding the engine - it's currently out of the truck and in the garage. Since everything is easy to get to at the moment, I'd like to install a set of heads, cams and headers. I think I've got the heads and cams covered but don't know which set of headers to pick up.

Heads and cams will probably be ordered from DOA Racing Engines. If anyone has any recommendations/reviews they would be appreciated.

I've looked a the sites for Thorley, Downey and North West Off Road. I've heard mixed/bad reviews about Downey and NWOR. How does Thorley stack up. Also, I've seen a set of $1200 TRD's out there and I'd like to know if those are worth anything.

Like I said, I've got the motor out and if I'm gonna do some engine work like this now is the time. I'm hoping to be done by the end of the month. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, she has a stock drivetrain and height (and yet people still ask me if she's been lifted... Have newer trucks come out lower to the ground or something?).

Last edited by Xero256; 10-15-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM

If you got that 3vze motor out, that's a good place to keep it. Only suggestion is 302 or 350.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddy just did a complete rebuild of the 3.0 in his 93 4Runner. He used Downey headers, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, ditched the EGR components, and left the rest stock. He gets 20mpg on the highway doing 75 mph and gets an estimated 165hp/200ft-lbs. If I were rebuilding mine, this is the setup I would go with.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by corvey
If you got that 3vze motor out, that's a good place to keep it. Only suggestion is 302 or 350.
You losing faith in the 3VZE Corvey??

If I was you I'd look at engnbldr.com. I used his master rebuild kit and it was pretty complete. I also bought a set of 1mm over sized valves from him. I got cams from Weasy2k and headers from LC Engineering. That is about as far as I would go if I was you. The truck isn't actually running yet so I can't tell you how much this combo helped. Maybe in a couple weeks. There are pics of the headers in my thread "pictures of my rebuild" if you want to check out the quality. So far headers fit nice but I have problems with the crossover. You shouldn't have these problems since you have a manual.

Well that's my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth.

Jason
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4
My buddy just did a complete rebuild of the 3.0 in his 93 4Runner. He used Downey headers, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, ditched the EGR components, and left the rest stock. He gets 20mpg on the highway doing 75 miles per hour and gets an estimated 165hp/200ft-lbs. If I were rebuilding mine, this is the setup I would go with.
What size tires and/or lift does your buddy have?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Keeping the 3VZE...

Ok, to clear up something right quick, I'm not doing a motor swap. I'm keeping the original motor in the vehicle and the aspiration the same (no turbo/super charging).
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Or keep it Toyota and throw in the 2.7L 4 or 3.4L 6. More power, better reliability, probably better mpg. I think I'll throw in the 2.7L in my truck should the 22RE ever die, which I would prefer that it didn't. But, then again, if I had the motor and tranny out, I would just go ahead and put in dual T-cases... I better quit thinking about this right now.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Sorry, didn't see the post immediately before my last one.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM

That's ok chroad, this thread lit up with like 6 replies very quickly...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
please stay away from DOA racing..

the name fits it well "dead on arrival" Search the company on here, you will find a very very very interesting thread about the owner..
Old 10-15-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Green93
You losing faith in the 3VZE Corvey??Jason
Yeah, I rebuilt the upper engine with MLS HG and it's all back together, runs good, but it's definitely a 3.slow

I gonna keep my eyes peeled for a 302 HO doner car.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
please stay away from DOA racing..

the name fits it well "dead on arrival" Search the company on here, you will find a very very very interesting thread about the owner..
PLEASE SEARCH D.O.A. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STEER CLEAR OF THAT PLACE. Go with engine builder set up over size valves and wisey2kcams with headers you will be very happy for what I have read here but don't waist your money and end up paying twice to rebuild your motor
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM

Bad Gecko ............Bad
Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I rebuilt the upper engine with MLS HG and it's all back together, runs good, but it's definitely a 3.slow

I gonna keep my eyes peeled for a 302 HO doner car.
Why slow , mine runs like a wild rabbit
Old 10-16-2007, 08:43 AM

I guess I'm use to driving my 5.0 mustang
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to seriously add up what you're about to spend on this engine, and realistically how it's going to perform, and then compare THAT against a 3.4L swap.

IMHO, you're better off to swap than to polish the 3.0 turd. Aftermarket support for the 3.0 is barebones, and the lack of competition keeps prices high. Even with heads, cam, headers, etc you're going to be hard pressed to make more power than a stock 3.4L, AND you're going to get worse gas mileage. By comparison, there is TONS of aftermarket support for the 3.4L, and you can spend comparitively little money and get significant gains out of it.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, been there, done that. Nothing but regrets.

First off, people call building up the 3.slow 'polishing the turd' for a reason.
It responds very poorly to performance mods and has inherent weaknesses which will contribute to short life.

Next you are considering going with DOA. This guy is the most crooked person in the whole Toyota aftermarket realm. Don't walk, RUN away from this guy. The name of his company is a real good forcast of what your experience will be. DO MORE RESEARCH, you'll find countless others screwed by DOA.

Your best, easiest and least expensive path is swap in the 3.4. Box stock it'll have more power and fuel economy than any 3.slow ever will. There's a whole raft of performance goodies for the 3.4 which can make it into a real screamer.

Yes, I speak from experience. I've done everything possible to my 3.turd (including getting boned by DOA.) Yes, it runs well for a 3.slow but the path to get there was very painful (it died a sudden death several times, more than a year of downtime) and performance is marginal at best (probably on par with a stock 3.4.)
I just rebuilt it again last fall (from a burnt piston) and even with very few added parts (it already had every performance goodie possible) it still cost $2500 and other than the machine work I did all the labor myself. Never did find a cause for the burnt piston.

I'd advise you to leave the 3.slow in the scrap pile and put in a 3.4, you will be way happier in the long run.

As to headers, the NWOR are OK, buy them uncoated and put ceramic on them - this coating will last longer and help reduce the heat which burns up starters and slave cylinders. The performance gains are very small unless you do a LOT of other work getting the 3.slow to breath.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 10-16-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

I guess I'm use to driving my 5.0 mustang
Hehehe
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Oh man, been there, done that. Nothing but regrets.

First off, people call building up the 3.slow 'polishing the turd' for a reason.
It responds very poorly to performance mods and has inherent weaknesses which will contribute to short life.

Next you are considering going with DOA. This guy is the most crooked person in the whole Toyota aftermarket realm. Don't walk, RUN away from this guy. The name of his company is a real good forcast of what your experience will be. DO MORE RESEARCH, you'll find countless others screwed by DOA.

Your best, easiest and least expensive path is swap in the 3.4. Box stock it'll have more power and fuel economy than any 3.slow ever will. There's a whole raft of performance goodies for the 3.4 which can make it into a real screamer.

Yes, I speak from experience. I've done everything possible to my 3.turd (including getting boned by DOA.) Yes, it runs well for a 3.slow but the path to get there was very painful (it died a sudden death several times, more than a year of downtime) and performance is marginal at best (probably on par with a stock 3.4.)
I just rebuilt it again last fall (from a burnt piston) and even with very few added parts (it already had every performance goodie possible) it still cost $2500 and other than the machine work I did all the labor myself. Never did find a cause for the burnt piston.

I'd advise you to leave the 3.slow in the scrap pile and put in a 3.4, you will be way happier in the long run.

As to headers, the NWOR are OK, buy them uncoated and put ceramic on them - this coating will last longer and help reduce the heat which burns up starters and slave cylinders. The performance gains are very small unless you do a LOT of other work getting the 3.slow to breath.
258K with Recall HG Job and still screaming , just a alternator and a timing belt
Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
258K with Recall HG Job and still screaming , just a alternator and a timing belt
You left it stock right? Kind of my point.

The 3.slow in stock form is what it is. A half decent 80s design and the first of the Toyota Truck EFI. Good enough to push the truck from point A to B as long as you aren't in a hurry.

It does NOT respond well to performance mods. There are severe limitations throughout the system and even if you spend the big bucks to enhance all the mechanical ones, you are still up against a computer which is not tuneable and severely limits performance.
You can't put any power adders on with out blowing out the headgaskets or spinning a bearing.

If you address every single problem area like I did, you'll get maybe 25% increase and a wider powerband. It's a LOT of money, work and tuning as well as risk. On it's best day a highly polished 3.turd will maybe have as much power as a bone stock 3.4.

Screaming? You are kidding right?
I think that's groaning and crying you hear, not screaming

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 10-16-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 3VZE Headers... And other things!