Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
CAMO...just found this thread.

Glad to see ya digging in on it. We have an 88 4runner w/ the 3vze and I totally agree, rat's nest / bird's nest / onion or whatever other analogy you want to use, that engine is ALOT more intimidating looking than my 22re.

hoping to get my crap back together on my truck (22re) and dig into my son's 3vze next....sooooooooo.....I'm gonna keep watching you.

I know LUMPY is watching too because he's supposed to do his before I do mine....or at least that's MY plan.

Still looking for that pot of gold, somewhere.

As far as someone doing the bottom end, I am not going to disagree with you at all on that one.

The crank bolt on the 22re MAY be a way different issue than the 3vze, but I conquered mine after some trial and error.

Good luck man, I will be keeping up with your progress.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 02-04-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
HEY GUYS!!! it's been a little while since i've updated but that's life LOL

i'm gonna be really tearing into this 4runner again this weekend (after i sell the '80 lol)

first off..can i just unbolt the A/C compressor and move it out of the way, or will i have to discharge the refrigerant and take the compressor COMPLETELY out? i'd rather just unbolt it and not have to recharge the system later on ya know..

and well..i believe that's my only question LOL

it's gonna be a PAIN to get the crossover unbolted (took a closer look at the design...that's fricken STUPID to do the exhaust like that.......) and the tranny unbolted :/ wishme luck guys lol
CAMO

When I unbolted my compressor, it did not need to be discharged. I was just removing it from it's mounts, not messing with it's internals...so I assume it's the same for you. I also just unbolted it and laid it to the side out of the way but essentially still hooked up.....kinda like the same thing you do with the power steering pump.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I am in the midst of a swap myself. i just pulled the motor out the other day and had a re-manufactured 3VZE delivered the same day. As for the tranny bolts, I had unbolted the crossover completely first, shoved it down a bit and had pretty open access to the top three bolts. The lower bolts all were accessible from below. After that, it pretty much pulled right out. I also left the A/C and power steering all connected and pushed them aside, hopefully it will all bolt back up just as easy. One lower bolt for the AC could not be removed until I lifted the engine up a little, though.

Looks like a few people are all in this together, hopefully we can all help each other out. I'll be cleaning the oil pan and baffle tomorrow and applying the silicone so it is dry by Tuesday, when I plan to lower in the new engine.

Jeremy
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sweeett guyyssss

all i have left to do is unbolt the tranny, the motor mounts, A/C, power steering, alt, crossover, and then after i pull the motor, take the lower intake manifold off, and the exhaust manifolds, then it'll get sent off to the rebuilders place

god i'll be soooo happy when this gets done lmao
Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Are you guys doing this in the stock IFS? Do you only have to use the different oil pan if it's a SAS?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM

I too am in the middle of pulling the 3VZE from my 4Runner. I'm to the point where I need to remove the starter, the top bolt from trans, the exhaust (I stripped a nut so I'll have to cut it), then the engine mounts and I'm free. I'll subscribe to this thread, if the place that's rebuilding yours is cheap, I might take it there...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Im going with titanengines.com check it out.. good warentee too..free shipping to you..only shipping you pay is to send them your core.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:15 AM

i'm on stock-ish IFS..i only have the 4" bracket lift on it

and Mokancraig, the place that's doin mine is called Southwestern motor rebuilders in Tulsa, OK...a little far for you (you're in MO LOL) but it could be worth it if you were coming to oklahoma for a couple of days...they said it'd take about 2 days to take apart the block and heads..clean it all..and put it all back together with new stuff.

if i had a little bit more money i too would probably go with Titanengines.com lol
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM

It's not to far, but if that's place I'm thinking I wouldn't have the rebuild a motor for a lawn mower. I used to work at a wrecker service in Tulsa and I remember taking cars back there all the time that had blown up.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 AM

well theres a southwestern and there is also another place called Midwestern..

i've asked around a little and people said they are really good! and the guy i talked to really knew his S@#$..like all i told him is that i needed a toyota 3vz rebuilt and he rattled off everything that needed to be done to it...the exact things i was gonna ask him he answered without me even asking LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Yeah, now that you mention that, I'm not sure which one it was...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM

lol i'll take a chance..it comes with a 3year 36,000 mile warranty covering everything...lol
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

had a little progress today!

got the power steering pump and bracket off and pushed out of the way, got the alternator and bracket off and pushed out of the way, got the exhaust downpipe unbolted as well! and i discharged the A/C (took about .5 seconds....LOL) and i'm going to leave the compressor bolted to the motor until i pull it out LOL, it's too hard to get to the dang bolts to take it off!

so probably tomorrow or saturday, i'm going to unbolt the tranny and get all the motor mount bolts broken loose and ready to come out, then i'll pull the motor whenever i have the time (also gotta cut, haul, split a BUNCH of wood on saturday LOL, and sunday is V-day, gotta make the girl happy LOL)
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 AM

Perhaps one of you on this thread can help me?

I have a 1992 4x4 xCab SR5 with the V6 engine. Apparently, there were two different cylinder head configurations for this model year and engine, one with bolt holes for timing belt adjustor, and one without.

I need pictures of the two varieties, or at least one, to show my Italian mechanic, so he can tell me (point to the picture) which version to order, so he can install it and I can get back on the road.

I'm stationed in Italy, broke a valve in the left cylinder head, which jammed the cam shaft and broke the timing-belt, toothed wheel.

If anyone can provide a picture that shows the difference, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 02-13-2010, 06:28 AM

hmf...didn't know anything about this!?!??
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is an excerpt from a vendor's listing for the cylinder heads on the V6 engine for 1992. Much to my surprise, there apparently were two different models of heads used... one with bolt holes for timing belt adjustment, and one without.

I need something graphical to use to get with my Italian mechanic so he can indicate to me which version to order.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
more pics please!!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 AM

wow, thanks for sharing that information GI Vantage!

doesn't make a difference to me, my heads are likely just fine but will get cleaned up and rebuilt because it's included in the $900 price tag LOL.

i have another guy coming to my house with cash for my '80, the last guy still wants it, but is only willing to give $500 and a Savage .17HMR, i want the gun, but i'd rather have the $800 from the other guy LOL..so as soon as that get's done, i'm gonna yank the motor (only got the tranny bolts and motor mounts left), send it off..have it back in like 2 or 3 days, and begin to put it back together! should be funn
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM

whatchya wantin pics of WatsonYota?? i like takin pics lol
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
wellll, i wanna add a set of cams, and i might just do it!

i want a cam that's gonna be good from about 1500rpms up until...somewhere like 4500-5000rpms lmao

idk hot to go about getting some custom cams done, idk if i would need to know the specs, or if i would just tell them and they make the cam for that range?
I used these guys http://www.americancustomcam.com/ when I had a cam made for my turbo VW Bug motor. All I did was tell them what I wanted and what it was going to be made for.

Quick Reply: 3VZ Rebuild