Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3VZ Rebuild

well guys i'm starting to take the 3vz apart today

and when i popped the hood last night and started looking at where i'll start at...i noticed there is a LOT of vacuum lines on this dude.

so my first official question of this rebuild, Are there any vacuum lines that i can remove that WILL NOT affect the engine's well-being??

i mean there is a whole crap load of vacuum hoses on the passenger side LOL it's like a dang rats nest!

i think i'll start at the front of the motor, and work my way back lol.
the radiator is a lot easier to start with rather than all them vacuum lines.

and i got lots of plastic baggies for bolts, lot's of masking tape for marking all the wires, plugs, and vacuum hoses, and anything i feel like marking
Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take photos of those hoses at each stage of disassembly too. The photos and the baggies saved my butt.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM

yea my phone takes great pics, forgot to put that part in there lol..photos help A LOT
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please keep a running $$$ total for, just to see if it is worthwhile for the rest of us.

Thank you and good luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM

I like to use a roll of painters tape and a note pad. Assign each hose a number or letter, mark each one with the tape and take notes on where it came from. Its kinda time consuming, but working on cars is like a zen thing to me...
Old 01-16-2010, 03:16 PM

its not that bad once you get into it. i was pretty intimidated at first but i forced out my inner zen and got it done.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:43 PM

God good luck i think if mine gets to where i need to do that i am finding a high cliff for it ! But i guess if i still had a garage it would be fun. I have had to take it to a shop to fix everything lately. Good thing he is a friend and likes it when i bring him beer

Last edited by smarvin; 01-16-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM

well i made some decent progress (in my eyes LOL, i'm proud lol)

i got the radiator, fan shroud, fan, and upper intake manifold off.
got the cam bolts lossened LOL, but i can't loosen the crank bolt..even with the truck in gear and E-brake on, it just creeps forward....LOL don't have an impact either..guess i'll try a longer breaker bar and a sledge hammer

also got the rats nest of vacuum lines on the passenger side of the intake manifold (which really isn't as intimidating as it looks...theres only like 10 hoses? lol) marked!

got all the belts off too, and the plug wires (hey every little bit counts LMAO)

next up are the Alt., power steering pump, and A/C, as long as they aren't too hard to get to...if they are kind hard i'll take em off when i get the motor out LOL.

i got pics too! LOL, i'm going to post them up tomorrow for research purposes for other people, i know you guys could care less about checkin out pics of my motor lol, but if someone is rebuilding their 3vz and they need a pic they can check out mine

as of right now i'm debating on whether or not to have a shop rebuild the longblock....

i WANT to do it myself, to save money and just because lol, but i would feel a lot more comfortable in the long run if professionals did the work ya know..

i mean i know i could do it, but even just the smallest mistake can really screw things up.

if i do it myself, then i'm going with the engnbldr master kit.. so theres like a little over $300 already LOL.

oh yea and i only worked for 3hours today, and it took me like 20mins to get the damn radiator off, then like 20 mins for the upper intake manifold LOL.

Stay tuned for updates and pics tomorrow guys
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM

That's from the Passenger side

That's Driver Side

intake vacuum lines and such

same thing

that's on the front of the intake..just wanted to remember how those lines go

i'm going to go start on it again in just a couple minutes.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Sweet keepem coming.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM

FO SHO MANE!! lmao

i have been reeding on a few different threads looking for anything that needs to be done before i go any further..and i can't find anything.

so i'm going to unplug the rest of the harness, then unbolt the A/C, loosen the crank bolt, unplug any other wirese and vacuum lines i see...undolt the tranny..unbolt the motor mounts..and have at it

motor should be out next weekend i hope...or the weekend after that..i have college 5days a week so i only got like maybe a couple hours on tuesdays and thursdays and then the weekends to work on it
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM

ok...first rough spot has been hit, the dang Crank Bolt.....

how the hell do ya get that loose!?!?

truck is in 4low, 1st gear..with the ebrake on and the tires scotched....and it just creeps backwards (because to loosen it..would make the truck roll backwards..)

i don't have access to an impact, i have about a 3ft breaker bar though..which has always done the trick in the past with any other vehicle....and i can't get any thing in or around any of the pulley's to keep everything from moving.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Try sticking it in 5th gear. In low gear the engine has more leverage against the e-brake.

Think about trying to get the car rolling from a stop in 5th, not easy.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM

this is how I got the bolt off of the crank pulley today if that is what you are talking about.

let me know if it is what you are talking about and I will show you the link on how to make it User: bugs1961 has a some instruction on a different thread.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM

heyyyy...that helps a lot dude!! lol

and i have called a couple of machine shops..and the cheapest place i have found is highly recommended and knows toyota's very well, he wants $900 to do the shortblock, plus $100 a piece for a head job...now compared to the other place a called (over $3500 for a longblock....without removal or installation...) both have a 3yr 36,000 mile warranty though

that's not a bad price guys...and i'm call around in another town and see what they say.

i mean i could do the work myself and be in about $500 (that's with leeway..lol) but i'm not too confident i could do everything exactly right...even the smallest screw up and that's it...game over LOL

the $900 price is with everything...from vatting to all new internals, and any machine work wouldn't be extra either

hell if i can do that...i'd have this thing done in about a month!!! then when i sell my '86 i could use some of the money from that and buy me a set of tires (cuz i need em perty bad lol) and i would likely get some used tires , then use my extra money for a front bumper and winch
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM

hey man this is my first motor pull out, so ill prolly be on here alot askin questions lol, i mean ive done motor work but never actually pulled the motor.

how hard was the wiring? and was unbolting the motor from the trans?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM

i'll be honest....the wiring is CAKE dude...just make sure you label em and you won't have a problem (i label the plug something like the number "1" and the place where it goes get a corresponding number "1") my wire plugs are numbered..my vacuum lines are lettered the same way as well.

seems to work pretty dang good so far lol..everything so far has been CAKE except for the crank bolt but i can get it now..just gotta find the time lol
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM

sweet! lol then this should go pretty smooth.. aight got another question do you know where i can get performance cams?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Senior,
I think Crower makes a cam for the 3.slow.

Keep at it Camo. Keep us posted. that $900 price sounds pretty good if they are a good shop.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks Cappy ill check that out for sure, I know that DOA makes them. Anyways thanks for the advice if yall have anymore tips or trick that i can do to put a little more power in the V6 3 slow

Quick Reply: 3VZ Rebuild