Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 water pump replacement

Old 03-01-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 water pump replacement

Wondering how difficult the replacement of the 3.0 water pump is. And if someone could offer me some time saving tricks/thoughts or even help me find something in the archives I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
T_BONE

Last edited by T_BONE; 03-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 PM

It is as hard as replacing the timing belt.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

this should help you out:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf

lee
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by leebee
The FSM is for a 94 I believe. If you have a pre-94, the tensioning system is different. I just did mine water pump/timing belt for the first time. You have to take the timing belt off to get to the water pump, so unless your belt is brand new, you might as well replace that too. It's pretty straight forward if you are a half -way decent mechanic, and you can keep track of lots of parts. This helped out a lot.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/v6tbelt/index.html

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although i havent gotten around to putting any words on the writeup, you can view my pics hear http://www.snjschmidt.com/timing_belt.html

THis was on my 92 runner and has the spring type tensioner.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM

The write up would be greatly appreciated if you get to it. I will be doing mine soon, but was called away for work
Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by VA_Yotaman
The FSM is for a 94 I believe. If you have a pre-94, the tensioning system is different. I just did mine water pump/timing belt for the first time. You have to take the timing belt off to get to the water pump, so unless your belt is brand new, you might as well replace that too. It's pretty straight forward if you are a half -way decent mechanic, and you can keep track of lots of parts. This helped out a lot.

I always get the little snack-sized Ziplocks and a sharpie & label any bolt/nut that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to know where it goes. Most of them I just lay inside or on top of the part they came off with. The water pump is pretty easy IMHO. The hardest part is getting your timing belt back on properly. Definitely might as well put on a new timing belt while you have it torn down. The only thing I'd warn you about is to be VERY careful when pulling off the fan pullies, water pump, etc. so as not to damage your radiator fins. Let us know how it goes!!

EDIT: By the way, if the idiot at the dealership parts counter tells you you don't need a gasket, you can just use FIP crap, kick him in the crackers and get a gasket (it should come with the pump, but double check).

Last edited by Bassinfool; 07-27-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Do yourself a favor and REMOVE THE RADIAOR in the beginning; it will give you a lot of extra room and you don't have to worry about crunching the fins. I tried to do it without removing the radiator and it was PITA.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the links and all of your help the project went well and did it in only about 2.5 hours. Gotta love the air rachet.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Yotaman

Actually not quite. Pre 92 3vz-e's all use a spring system to tension that you have to manually pull over to the tensioner. Post 92s use a spring loaded tensioner that physcially bolts to the side of the block and as you bolt it down it applies tension to the belt.

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Do yourself a favor and REMOVE THE RADIAOR in the beginning; it will give you a lot of extra room and you don't have to worry about crunching the fins. I tried to do it without removing the radiator and it was PITA.
here ye here ye!!

Originally Posted by T_BONE
Thanks for the links and all of your help the project went well and did it in only about 2.5 hours. Gotta love the air rachet.
dizzam spanky! Great job in doing it that fast!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-27-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM

T-Bone, did you blip the starter, use a belt strap or have another trick up your sleeve for that crankshaft pulley? Did you remove the camshaft pulleys to put the belt back on? Thanks
Any photos or write up?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Actually not quite. Pre 92 3vz-e's all use a spring system to tension that you have to manually pull over to the tensioner. Post 92s use a spring loaded tensioner that physcially bolts to the side of the block and as you bolt it down it applies tension to the belt.
Yeah, any 3VZ-E made after April of 1992 was hydraulic.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Bassinfool
I always get the little snack-sized Ziplocks and a sharpie & label any bolt/nut that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to know where it goes. Most of them I just lay inside or on top of the part they came off with. The water pump is pretty easy IMHO. The hardest part is getting your timing belt back on properly. Definitely might as well put on a new timing belt while you have it torn down. The only thing I'd warn you about is to be VERY careful when pulling off the fan pullies, water pump, etc. so as not to damage your radiator fins. Let us know how it goes!!

EDIT: By the way, if the idiot at the dealership parts counter tells you you don't need a gasket, you can just use FIP crap, kick him in the crackers and get a gasket (it should come with the pump, but double check).
A 20 year Toyota Mechanic told me the same thing, use the gasket !!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If you do have the spring tensioner MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE BOLT. I went through tons of trouble after swapping in a new motor only to find out you have to crank that bolt down despite it being a sprung tensioner. Also, get a quality Aisin pump, they have a kit that comes with the belt, gasket, and even the tensioner I think.