Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re starter solenoid connector issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re starter solenoid connector issue

Hello, I have been a member for a few years but don't post very often. I have a question about the starter solenoid and cannot find the answer to it.

My buddy and I recently replaced the starter on my 4 cylinder 1988 2wd Pickup, and we noticed a possible problem. We noticed the piece that snaps onto the solenoid appeared to be corroded and worn out. We took a picture of it, although it is blurry, hopefully one of you guys can recognize what it is and how/if we can fix it.

Before we replaced the starter, it could be slow to start sometimes. 5-8 times I would turn the key over and absolutely nothing would happen. I would then get under the engine with a rubber mallet, tap on the starter, try again, and she would start up.

Any thoughts on this? Do I need to replacement? Where can I get one?

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails 22re starter solenoid connector issue-starter-solenoid-connector.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tacvwdriver (11-14-2021)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Anyone out there with some info? A little help, please!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by floridanative82
Hello, I have been a member for a few years but don't post very often. I have a question about the starter solenoid and cannot find the answer to it.

My buddy and I recently replaced the starter on my 4 cylinder 1988 2wd Pickup, and we noticed a possible problem. We noticed the piece that snaps onto the solenoid appeared to be corroded and worn out. We took a picture of it, although it is blurry, hopefully one of you guys can recognize what it is and how/if we can fix it.

Before we replaced the starter, it could be slow to start sometimes. 5-8 times I would turn the key over and absolutely nothing would happen. I would then get under the engine with a rubber mallet, tap on the starter, try again, and she would start up.

Any thoughts on this? Do I need to replacement? Where can I get one?

Thanks guys.
It's a plain spade connector. The thing on the wire is the female side. It looks like this. The one on the solenoid is the male side. Any good electrical, auto store or Radioshack will have it. Just find one that fits the male part and the terminal housing.

If you decide to replace, I'd recommend you solder it on, instead of crimping it. Soldering will make it resist corrosion and keep dirt and oil out of the connection.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd also double check the power wire from the battery to the under hood fuse box. I was having starter issues on my old truck (clicking,get out bang on starter with hammer,and have it start sometimes). Replaced the contacts inside the starter,thought I had it fixed and it still did it. Then noticed frayed,green,corroded,jimmy rigged main power wire from the battery the fuse box. Fixed that and it never gave me anymore problems,cranked better too.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
... (clicking,get out bang on starter with hammer,and have it start sometimes)...
Best to consult the FSM in order to analyze the problem properly (see my sig for link to FSM's). We gotta be careful with the "clicking" sound when troubleshooting. Be certain what click you're hearing when you turn ign. sw. to "Start":
  1. Circuit opening relay? This powers the fuel pump. This clicks as soon as you put ignition switch in "Start position", Even if clutch safety switch is open AND safety cancel switch is OFF.
  2. OR Starter Relay. This will only energize IF clutch safety switch is closed OR safety cancel switch is turned on. You may not hear this because it is in engine compartment.

See this post for relay locations.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Rad, I will get the appropriate sized female spade connector. Thanks for the direction.

Turd, I will check out that wire and clean/replace if necessary. I will update with info once i get it done.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ floridanatice 82, im dealing with a ignition switch bypass on my 4runner and i cant seem to figure out where that wire with connector is coming from(the one in the picture, wire u are holding.) when u follow it, is it coming from the black tubing? do u have a picture showing where is coming from? it would really help me out. i checked FSM but dont see anything specific . thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Egar
@ floridanatice 82, im dealing with a ignition switch bypass on my 4runner and i cant seem to figure out where that wire with connector is coming from(the one in the picture, wire u are holding.) when u follow it, is it coming from the black tubing? do u have a picture showing where is coming from? it would really help me out. i checked FSM but dont see anything specific . thanks!
Mine comes out of the harness near the oil filter. edit to add - specifically, out of the harness from under the intake plenum, aft of the oil filter.

Last edited by Utah4Runner86; 04-08-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM

just looked, cant seem to find wire..??? this may have been modified and i may have no way of tracking it down..???? pictures ...any one have a pictures??? i know sux to be me...but i just cant figure this out, all i see is the wire that goes straight to the starter from the battery, thicker gauge wire....
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Pics won't help, it's there or it's not. I'd say screw it and just run a new crank wire from your ignition.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your bypassing the start position on the key switch .

You want to make sure you energize the cold start time switch.

The wire to the starter solenoid comes via the starter relay if you have a manual trans.:jessica:
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by floridanative82
Rad, I will get the appropriate sized female spade connector. Thanks for the direction.
Turd, I will check out that wire and clean/replace if necessary. I will update with info once i get it done.
Thanks for the help, guys.
Most welcome, floridanative82.

Originally Posted by Egar
The wire providing power to energize starter solenoid comes from the starter relay here:
Name:  Starter_Relay-1.jpg
Views: 13464
Size:  132.0 KB
Schematic here:
Name:  1988_Runner_Start_Relay.jpg
Views: 12255
Size:  61.8 KB

Unplug the cylinder-shaped connector from starter relay check resistance to all pins from the female spade connector that floridanative82 is holding. Whichever has close to 0 ohms, that's the other end of that wire.
The following users liked this post:
tacvwdriver (11-14-2021)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM

ok i will try to work from starter relay. the wire that floridanative is holding is completely missing from my truck. i will try to back track from starter relay. thank you.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM

I have a question, my solenoid is not being activated. I put 12volt to the small disconnect terminal and the solenoid is not doing anything. I WANT TO CHECK THE STARTER SOLENOID FOR CONTINUITY the quick disconnect terminal in the 12 volt plus and is the other side of the solenoid coil go to ground?? I am getting a low resistance from the 12 v small disconnect on the starter and the ground.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
I have a question, my solenoid is not being activated. I put 12volt to the small disconnect terminal and the solenoid is not doing anything. I WANT TO CHECK THE STARTER SOLENOID FOR CONTINUITY the quick disconnect terminal in the 12 volt plus and is the other side of the solenoid coil go to ground?? I am getting a low resistance from the 12 v small disconnect on the starter and the ground.
Yes, the other side of the coil goes to ground. I believe internally there are 2 coils. The other one may be bad on yours OR the starter and solenoid are not getting ground.
Both the solenoid and starter motor get ground from the one on the block connected to battery negative:

Solenoid contact gets its positive from here. Sends it to motor when contact closes,
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, the other side of the coil goes to ground. I believe internally there are 2 coils. The other one may be bad on yours OR the starter and solenoid are not getting ground.
Both the solenoid and starter motor get ground from the one on the block connected to battery negative:

Solenoid contact gets its positive from here. Sends it to motor when contact closes,
thanks for your post. I may have a one bad coil I can get the solenoid to pull in IF I get the plunger very close to its travel but not when it is in place with the cover over the plunger, I will stop by the alt. and starter rebuilder.