86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 4Runner Starting problems. Just clicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4Runner Starting problems. Just clicks

I have a 86 toyota 4runner. It has had triouble int he past when you try to start it. It just clicks like it is a solenoid. I installed a new starter and that seem to fix it. Well 6 mo. later it is doing it again. It sound like it is clicking under the dash on the passanger side. I would not think that it is the starter. it has sat for about 2 months but the other day I went to start it and it clicked about two times and then fired up. Tonight i tried to start it and that is all it does is click. I am trying to sell it and have someone coming on Monday to see it and I need to get this fixed. Please help.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it's a remanufactured starter, check the plug on the starter that comes from the ignition switch.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
this could also be the starter contacts

read-http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Starter? Starter wires? Starter connectors from bat and ingnition? Battery? Battery cable or corroded connectors?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 AM

The starter is less that 6 mo. old. and it has beens setting for about 3 of those months. What about the relay under the dash by the glovebox. not sure what it is called but it is just clicking.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It could also be your battery too
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM

hey jfriz, you get it fixed? What did you end up doing? I'm having the exact same problem with my truck. Just one click, and then nothing. I haven't had a chance to look at it though, prolly this weekend.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abj27
hey jfriz, you get it fixed? What did you end up doing? I'm having the exact same problem with my truck. Just one click, and then nothing. I haven't had a chance to look at it though, prolly this weekend.
It's probably your starter. Have somebody tap on it with a screwdriver while you turn the key and if it starts it's most likely the contacts.

Rob
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM

my buddys ranger does this every once in a while and his problem is the conectors that conect to the + and the - on the battery are not tight enough.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
It's probably your starter. Have somebody tap on it with a screwdriver while you turn the key and if it starts it's most likely the contacts.

Rob
How hard should I be 'tapping'? I'm guessing I tap while someone is holding the key to the start position? I tapped and got nothing. It was a pretty light tap though; it's kind of hard to get a good knock on it considering where it is.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 PM

I feel your pain.

Afer several months of chasing down the same problem my issue ended up being the starter relay. To remedy the problem for myself I installed the Hot Stot plus relay kit for painless performance at the end of the circuit. I.E. between the stock relay and the starter and I havent looked back since. Another known culprit is the ignition switch harness. I got mine from Ebay for less than 2 dollars and even tho it wasnt the total problem it was in fact a contributing factor. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem,
Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 AM

Just wonderin how U made out. And if you got it started without the clickin or not. Later
Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by abj27
How hard should I be 'tapping'? I'm guessing I tap while someone is holding the key to the start position? I tapped and got nothing. It was a pretty light tap though; it's kind of hard to get a good knock on it considering where it is.
Give it a good whack - just not enough to bend the case. I've freed many a starter that way. I normally use a framing hammer. And if I can't get to it I'll put a piece of pipe on it and then smack the pipe. (Just make sure you don't hit the positive voltage cable that runs to the battery.)
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Starter for sure. Check out 4crawler's website for all his tricks on starters.

Probably need to rebuild and replace contacts/brushes. I have to hit mine with a hammer just about every time now but I'm not going to rebuild it until I have the engine out for a swap...much easier to mess with a starter then.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im actually pretty good at taking a starter out now i got it to under 45 minutes but it kinda cuts up my hands...

4crawlers page is amazing!!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The relay clicking under the dash would just be the circuit opening relay....aka fuel pump relay. Means it's working....getting a signal, but has nothing to do with it not turning over. And, the fact that the starter is clicking means it's atleast getting juice, if I understand you correctly. Is there just one click....the one from under the dash?

Last edited by thook; 09-01-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like you first need to make sure the lead to the solenoid from the ignition switch is getting voltage when the key is turned to start and if so, try hotwiring the starter to start. if that don't work, the solenoid windings are probably toast so new solenoid or starter time.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-01-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 AM

starter relay

I am currently having the same exact problem with my 86 4runner. Although this response may be a bit outdated for this topic, it may help out people in the future.

When I first got my truck, it would just click when trying to start maybe once every 2 weeks or so. It has been happening more regularly with it getting colder and whatnot and will just click for a longer period of time before starting. First problem I thought it would be the starter, so I replaced the starter and now the clicking is happening every day. Then I figured it might be the battery after testing it and whatnot so I got a new battery. Then the clicking happened again after I got the battery so it wasn't the starter or the battery or any loose connections to the battery. My last and final hope before I pound my trucks face in is the starter relay which Ijust ordered off eBay so hopefully that works and then I'll consider getting the hot shot relay from painless performance.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

when you say got a new starter, do you mean brand new or remanufactured?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by pitfallguy72
I am currently having the same exact problem with my 86 4runner. Although this response may be a bit outdated for this topic, it may help out people in the future.

When I first got my truck, it would just click when trying to start maybe once every 2 weeks or so. It has been happening more regularly with it getting colder and whatnot and will just click for a longer period of time before starting. First problem I thought it would be the starter, so I replaced the starter and now the clicking is happening every day. Then I figured it might be the battery after testing it and whatnot so I got a new battery. Then the clicking happened again after I got the battery so it wasn't the starter or the battery or any loose connections to the battery. My last and final hope before I pound my trucks face in is the starter relay which Ijust ordered off eBay so hopefully that works and then I'll consider getting the hot shot relay from painless performance.
Check the 4crawler page that was linked up thread. Test what you've got before you go throwing new parts at it.

Quick Reply: 86 4Runner Starting problems. Just clicks