Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE rebuilt cost vs rebuilding cost.. this truck has me pissed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE rebuilt cost vs rebuilding cost.. this truck has me pissed

Ive been calling around to some local machine shops, Dennys which is on Ebay and has some reviews on here is only about 40 minutes from my house. He said he has a 22RE thats already rebuilt with a new head, pressure tested with break in oil, a complete long block with the front pulley already on for $1400 with my 2 engines as cores. Im pricing this out, using kits online lets say $400 with an OEM seal kit, + machine work and my time Im leaning towards just picking one of his engines up. I figure $500 in machine work + at least $400 in parts and Ive never assembled an engine, so is $500 in labor to build it a fair deal? Any thoughts on a Brazilian new head vs using one of the ones I have, both of mine have over 150,000 miles and I have no history on either of these engines.

I like the challenge of building it but at the flip side Ill be pissed if I go though all this and something I do is wrong! I have one more machine shop to call tomorrow, their engine builder is out of the office, Im going to get pricing from him and see what his cost is, I just know Dennys has a really good reputation, just the aftermarket parts kind of scare me ,but then at the same time this is a beater that I never meant to put any real money into... ARRGGHHHH!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

This is the kit Im planning on using if I build it myself: https://www.yotashop.com/rebuild-kit...95-oem-rk8595/

The Brazilian heads come with gaskets for $225, I just dont get a good fealing about it but they sell a ton of them on Ebay... Anyone in the area thats built a 22RE? LOL
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would guess if you can`t do something yet $ 500.00 is not all that bad .

What kind of warranty does he give ??

Something to think about if you build it your on your own.

All I can say is every time I pay to have something done I can do myself I most often end up regretting it down the road

This is the main problem your not respecting your truck This really needs to be a labor of love .

If not this is going to cost a fortune I see it happen all the time.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, I have so many other things going on right now and really didnt intend for this 93 2wd to become such a project truck too but thats how it always goes, Ive already done so much to it that I cant not keep pushing on with it at this point! Im just second guessing myself with assembling the engine, Ive built motorcycle and air cooled VW engines with great luck but I had excellent books on building them, I do have a Haynes and the FSM and at this point am leaning towards giving it a go myself, but to save the time and hassle his engines do look good but using generic parts does scare me off...

This is one of the yota engines he sells, I am in no way affiliated with his shop they are just close and appear to have been doing this for a while!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-7-3RZFE-To...-/151819394637
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What is your plan for the truck - a keeper or a flip? Your decision should be, in part, based on your plan.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

A keeper for now, Im in the middle of a lemon law case with Toyota with my 2016 TRD OR that I haven't been able to drive it since Oct and just reached my not having a truck breaking point and bought this 93 locally, since I bought it I've only been able to put 300 miles on it and have already put a clutch, full exhaust, SR5 cluster swap, converted it from manual to power steering ETC ETC, the 1st time I actually used it is when the bottom end started rapping, turns out the guy I bought it from did change the timing chain like he said, but he didnt tell me about the roached crank that he put new rod bearings on, lesson learned.

I think I might go with the Yotashop kit and try to build it, luckily I have 2 engines, the one thats in the truck still runs fine just has a rod knocking and I snagged a complete used engine thats now torn down to a block in my shop looking at me right now!! Im just in the middle of a partial house remodel and have a 3 year old son so my time is all but gone!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You do have a lot on the proverbial plate. Here's how I see it . . .
I'll take it you have a vehicle to get to work etc, so the 93 is a project (even though unintended) and not a necessity.
Since you have rebuilt engines before you have the skills and tools. The parts and machine shops are readily available, and there is a lot of good info here and other places.
So no need to "worry" about those things.

Time is an issue, which you could make somewhat an advantage of by taking things slowly step by step - don't rush anything. Write out a plan (day by day or week by week) for yourself. Address the second guessing thing by checking everything a couple times. Especially the machining part - triple check the measurements because someone else did them. In the end it is just a mechanical device that you have the means to make it good.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
When you have laid your own hands on it, there can be no doubt about the care, or lack of care in its building.

It is definitely possible to source genuine Japanese engine parts for moderate cost.

I recently built a stock, all Japanese 22re for less than $1200 and that included $600 machine shop work on block, crank and head.

I'd much rather have a genuine Toyota head and valves than any aftermarket head, even if the cost of rebuilding is a little more.

Last edited by millball; 03-14-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:03 AM

Well if you have the knowledge to do the rebuild over all the 22 RE is probably one of the easiest motors to do. Not counting the small block Chevy drive through for 350 HP at McDonald's. I warn you to use cation on a head purchase. Personally I would use LC engineering. They are here in the states and if an issue does come up your money is here in the states rather than some 3rd world war zone. And unfortunately time is against you on the head. Meaning they can be rebuilt correctly. But when the antifreeze acts as a acid on aluminum due to electrolysis (which is what happened to my 89 ) it actually just ate thru the coolant passage in the head until it made it's way through the fire ring on the head gasket. Then lost the head gasket and had to replace the entire head. Because the coolant passage had enlarged itself enough that the fire ring no longer had support from the head surface. .. And lastly, I suggest you buy your own parts once you know what you need. IE standard bearing or under sized due to recon on the rods or crank turning. That way you avoid machine shop mark ups and them possibly buying China ˟˟˟˟ to use on the internals. Again speaking from personal exp. When I do American V8 drag car/ street engines I use American stuff such as Speed Pro, TRW, Cloyes , Manley etc. But not with Nap stuff. Esp Yotas. I suggest factory replacement brands for a simple common sense rule. Most of them last a minium of 200K from the factory. Why change that level of durobility? What ever they use in Japan when they build them will be.very.good quality. And I will go so far as to say most is race quality at that I don't think Toyota has forged pistons or rods, or forged steel cranks, but I got the impression you weren't going that way anyway. Good luck. With the build feel free to drop me a line I'll help anyway I can

Last edited by RT PERFORMANCE; 08-29-2021 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Gotta be careful anymore even buying good ol American brand name parts. A lot of them are outsourced and made in china now. In the past few months I've had Raybestos and AC Delco brake parts as well as a Cloyes timing set for a 22re that were all made in china. The Cloyes timing set had a defective tensioner right out of the box. The only thing about any of those parts that was American was the brand name on the outside of the box which cost me extra money!