Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Intake cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TJ96TLC
Hate to revive this..But i was thinking about taking off the throttle body and filling the intake, head, and plenum with a mixture of diesel and auto tranny fluid as a cleaning agent, letting it soak overnight, and removing the spark plugs and blowing it out.

Tell me if I'm gonna screw something up. Of course, i would use the crankcase pulley for the furst few revolutions to get the majority of the fluid out.

The only thing I worry about is the fuel injectors. I also thought about taking the upper part off and just pouring the fluid mixture down the lower ports and sending off the injectors for refurbishment. I'm really trying to clean out my head and re-seat the valves and free any sticking lifters. I have a little suction at the tailpipe.

Thoughts???
The 22RE is an over head cam engine, it doesn`t have lifters.
When i cleaned my upper intake i did it in about two hours or so, and it took four cans of carb cleaner to get it clean.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
The 22RE is an over head cam engine, it doesn`t have lifters.
When i cleaned my upper intake i did it in about two hours or so, and it took four cans of carb cleaner to get it clean.
Sorry, well I guess its the valves sticking??? Either way, I have some suction at the tail pipe. I intend to try a couple cans of the Amsoil Powerfoam and maybe a flush of some petroleum based solvent through the head.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSwole
it can be done fairly quickly. cleaning is what takes forever on it. im just going to have mine hot tanked when i start this rebuild. 2 hours in a parts washer, me with a screwdriver, rag, carb cleaner, it still only did so much.

take it off, go to a machine shop, pay em 10$ or so to hot tank it and clean it for you, then reinstall w/ new gaskets.
Do not have it hot tanked. Most radiator and machine shops use caustic soda in they're hot tanks,so if you asked them to do that I would hope they told you they can't. Unless they're running a different cleaner in there hot tank that is safe for aluminum. Caustic soda and aluminum DO NOT mix. You might want to see if your local radiator shop has a product called "turbo-kleen",and see if they can get it clean with that. It's for cleaning aluminum intercoolers. It might not do it though,that black crap is pretty stubburn.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM

I was wondering about that...I have another thread going about burnt valves. I think this may be the whole issue. Some disagree, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
Do not have it hot tanked. Most radiator and machine shops use caustic soda in they're hot tanks,so if you asked them to do that I would hope they told you they can't. Unless they're running a different cleaner in there hot tank that is safe for aluminum. Caustic soda and aluminum DO NOT mix. You might want to see if your local radiator shop has a product called "turbo-kleen",and see if they can get it clean with that. It's for cleaning aluminum intercoolers. It might not do it though,that black crap is pretty stubburn.
wow, i never knew that. I just figured i could bring it by when i take the block in. Im glad you told me now, so i can go ahead and clean it instead of figuring out later that it cant b done.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Im going to do this sometime next month. im going to start ordering my gaskets so that I could have them ready. While Im at it, I am also going to send out my injectors to have them recalibrated. Does anyone know of a good way to clean up the cold start injector?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM

mine soaked in Diesel for 8 days. vibrated for 1 hr came clean with a few test tube cleaners.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM

didn't realize this was a 4yo thread

Last edited by yotarover; 05-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM

not just 4 months, but 4 years!

that being said, I cleaned my 7A-FE intake last week thoroughly... first I ran a can of seafoam through the vacuum port at the throttle body... after I finished with seafoaming, I let the engine cool off and then I ripped off the intake (apparently not so straight foward with the 7A-FE compared to other cars I've worked on in the past)... it did 90% of the work... the intake ports in the head and valves were 99% clean... a little pressurized brake cleaner spray did the rest.... I gave the intake a good soak with a full can of carb cleaner and it did 99% of the work.... I ran out of carb cleaner and finished it off with brake cleaner and after which it was 99.9% clean

slapped it back on, checked and reset the timing and got it to pass emissions

oh yeah, I halfassed cleaned the throttle too.... wasn't too dirty considering it has 220k on the motor
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM

there's been alot of tearing and building go on around here lately. i didn't even read the date lol
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM

I left one of my plenums in a bath of some cleaner I got from wallyworld for a few days. I think it was called super-clean....Anyway when I took it out 2 days later it had actually removed the top layer of aluminum and was totally pitted everywhere underneath. I drained all the fluid from the pan it was soaking in and poured out 1/2 a CUP of Aluminum sludge.

Wont do that again