86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r questions

ok a buddy of mine has brought over a 86 with a 22r in it he was told it might have a blown head.
it had oil in the radiator and a little water in the oil
but it dose not smoke I have read and talked to a friend that told me that the 22r & 22re are prone to a leak after the chain guide breaks and the chain wears through the side of the timing cover into the water pump .

I am going to do a comp test in a few days to make sure the head is not blown
but I have also seen in posts in the past about steel timing chain guides and if someone can give me a link for where to buy them that would be great.
also where can I find a timing cover with the water pump ect.
and is the cover the same as a 22re.
if so can someone cut me a deal shoot me a pM or post here.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing cover may not be the same 22r/22re (different deck height) - depends on deck height (early/late).

Steel guides - proper timing chain set: www.engnbldr.com
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM

according to engnbldr 85 to 95 are the same I'll have to make a few phone calls tomorrow to make sure
thanks again
Old 04-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyMoN
according to engnbldr 85 to 95 are the same I'll have to make a few phone calls tomorrow to make sure
thanks again
He's correct... it's a total height issue, so measure. Don't assume the motor is original unless you're sure.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have engbldrs timing chain kit in my closet. Good stuff.

Just endorsing Ted some more =)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 AM

The 22R and RE blocks are identical if it is 85-95. What you need to do is make sure you have the original engine in the truck. The 85 and up blocks are referred to as laser blocks and can be identified my measuring the deck height (PITA with the motor assembled) or by looking for a mark in the exhaust side of the block. There is a bossed shape above the oil pan on the bottom of the block that sort of looks like a circle with two smaller circles attached to either side of it. Kind of like an oval.

Engine Builder sells everything you will need and he is a very helpful and knowledgable dude. The steel guides he sells are for the drivers side. The passenger side he sells is still plastic. However, it is always the drivers side one that wears out.

You should be able to easily see if that is the probelem by simply removing the rocker cover and looking in there with a nice bright light. You should be able to see the grooves worn in it. You will definately be able to see it once you remove the timing cover.

If you have water in the oil, then it is only a matter of time until it smokes. It has no choice.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM

oh there are grooves in it I checked out engine builder and the my buddy is going to order the chain set and gasket set from him and I will have him order the chain cover after I get it out
I did a comp test today and all 4 where close to 120psi the front one was at 117 or 119 psi
when the truck is running it sounds very nice.

also sprayed it down with gunk engine bright gel and got all the oil off so now I can find the oil leak or leaks looked like it was only leaking where the timing cover meets the head on the very front by the water pump.

don't know if this apply's but have read somewhere a double valve Tstat for extra protection should I have him get one of these or just a napa one?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 PM

well got the timing cover off today as well as the oil pan the timing chain sure as hell wore a line into the water pump and the chain wore into the tensioner about 1/8 of a inch.

so my question for the day the timing cover is 11 inches and a 1/8 and has a mark that is a 6k on it is this a 86 and above motor or is it a older one ?
thanks in advance

I will get some pics up once they are taken for everyone who loves pics
Old 04-07-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxpower_hd
The 22R and RE blocks are identical if it is 85-95. What you need to do is make sure you have the original engine in the truck. The 85 and up blocks are referred to as laser blocks and can be identified my measuring the deck height (PITA with the motor assembled) or by looking for a mark in the exhaust side of the block. There is a bossed shape above the oil pan on the bottom of the block that sort of looks like a circle with two smaller circles attached to either side of it. Kind of like an oval.

Engine Builder sells everything you will need and he is a very helpful and knowledgable dude. The steel guides he sells are for the drivers side. The passenger side he sells is still plastic. However, it is always the drivers side one that wears out.

You should be able to easily see if that is the probelem by simply removing the rocker cover and looking in there with a nice bright light. You should be able to see the grooves worn in it. You will definately be able to see it once you remove the timing cover.

If you have water in the oil, then it is only a matter of time until it smokes. It has no choice.

Good luck.
I found something thats looks kind of like a 8
Old 04-08-2007, 06:44 AM

The thing I'm talking about is fatter in the middle than on the sides. Sort of like oOo only conected. Do you have the head completely removed? You can also look at the pistons. The pre-85's have domed pistons where as the laser blocks with the shorter dech heights do not.

Last edited by maxpower_hd; 04-08-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM

I finally found it. Here is a link to a picture of what it looks like.

http://lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote49.htm
Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 AM

no I don't have the head off trying to avoid that if all possible
thanks for that link I am going to go check it right now with fingers crossed.