Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

my toyota experience begins!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by igotit
what would be different between 81 and 85 yota?
body style being the most obvious, 84 was the first year for the newer body stlye. round headlights indacates 79-81, the front axle truss isnt as beefy as an 85 axle etc.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:57 PM

and just to be safe, you got a bill of sale for both trucks, correct?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
body style being the most obvious, 84 was the first year for the newer body stlye. round headlights indacates 79-81, the front axle truss isnt as beefy as an 85 axle etc.
and just to be safe, you got a bill of sale for both trucks, correct?
oh yeah....forgot the body change.....ive had too many drinks today!

yes i have notarized bill of sale on both trucks with both tittles.
the 81 tittle is bonded,cant be registered in louisiana,but can be registered in mississippi.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:04 PM

i'll have to google a bonded title....i have no idea what it is LOL.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM

i explained it on page 2.....it simply means the owner couldnt provide the actual tittle at the time of sale,either lost the tittle,or stolen vehicle....ect.
so in 06 insurance companies would issue a bond policy,for about $100 they would have the dmv issue you a bonded tittle in your name as long as you had some kinda proof you owned the vehicle.
if after 3 years no one claimed the truck as stolen,or already tittled....it now belonged to the new owner that owned the bond.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM

thanks, must have missed that part. just out of curiosity, why cant you register it in louisiana?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM

when i went to the dmv,handed them the paperwork.....the clerk didnt know what bonded meant,neither did i.
so after 30 mins her manager walked in and said the dea called yesterday stating that a bonded mississippi tittle couldnt be tittled in la.i stated i havent contacted anyone about this tittle,how does the dea know im trying to tittle this truck in la?
she said....i dont know,but the dea stated it cant be tittled.
i told her it was just a coincedence,that this couldnt be the tittle the dea was talking about,plus why would the dea be intrested in a old beat toyota 4x4.
she then told me im sorry sir,we cant tittle it.

Last edited by igotit; 08-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM

hmmm. sounds kinda fishy IMO.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know man......finding different bin plates in the glove box?? That sounds kinda shady...I would bring it back to the previous owner, or pull it in the back yard and use the parts as you need them. Find somebody who can run the bin and see if it is hot.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM

i already ran both vins with my local pd,and state pd,and dmv,and my insurance company,nothing came back as stolen......but it may not have been reported.
i just dont know!
ill contact the missi dmv soon.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM

if it were to come back stolen, god forbid, what would be the process of that? would they just take your truck and all your hard work and return it to the rightful owner?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM

if it were to come back stolen, god forbid, what would be the process of that? would they just take your truck and all your hard work and return it to the rightful owner?
thats exactly what they would do.
but i do have a noterized bill of sale stating the last registered owner in 06 sold me the 81 yota with matching vins for $100.00
she signed,as did i on the back of the tittle.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 PM

so that makes 2 legal owners. what in tarnation would they do with the truck then?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM

so that makes 2 legal owners. what in tarnation would they do with the truck then?
actually a bonded tittle means the owner hasnt claimed it yet.
someone somewhere has the original tittle.
but a bond only last 3 years,after 3 years of being un-claimed,the name on the bonded tittle,by law is the new owner.being the bonded tittle owner noterized a sale of the bonded tittle me.....its my truck,but my dmv wont do anything with it.
ill go back to my dmv tomorrow,talk to the manager again.
that phone call from the dea scared her,so she assumed it was my tittle they called about.
the seller of the truck states i can go to the mississippi dmv and get it transfered to my name eaisly,then just pay state transfer tax on the tittle.
then go to my la dmv for registration.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM

sounds like the situation could get real ugly, real quick.

i'd say for peice of mind check everywhere to make sure your trucks clean, then go ahed and tear into her
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

info on bonded tittles from google!

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...w=1680&bih=910

what is a bonded tittle!

A bonded title is another name for a document known as a Certificate of Title Surety. Utilized in lieu of a standard car title, obtaining the bond makes it possible to move forward with registering the motor vehicle with the local Department of Motor Vehicles or DMV. The document also serves as proof of ownership, making it possible to purchase insurance for the vehicle.

In many locations, it is possible to obtain a bonded title for a number of different types of motor vehicles. Along with cars, trucks, buses, and travel trailers are also eligible. It is not unusual for a jurisdiction to also approve a title bond for motorcycles and campers.

While each jurisdiction sets their own criteria that must be met in order to qualify for a bonded title, there are a few requirements that appear to be common to most locations. First, an attempt to locate a legitimate car title must be made before application for the bond is made. Second, the vehicle must be bought or received as a gift; it is usually not possible to obtain a bonded title on any vehicle that is found abandoned. Last, the local jurisdiction is likely to require the payment of taxes that are in excess of the current value of the vehicle; this is different from the usual practice in many jurisdictions that based the applicable taxes on the current assessed value of the vehicle.

true story of a guy that lost a car.

"The hardest title I have obtained was for a 72 Nova, the numbers didn't check out, but it wasn't stolen either. The state trooper that did the inspection, finally found the correct # behind the blower box. I had to buy a bonded title for $100. It's worth the time!"

We know that several states require that a Title Bond be purchased in order to issue a new title...for their protection! Here's how it works. The state will determine the value of the car in question, let's say $5000. The purchaser will then have a bonding service issue a Title Bond and the cost is dependent on the car's history, the length of time the bond is good for and the purchaser's credit history.

The agency issuing the Title Bond is insuring the state issuing the new title, that if during a specified length of time, usually one to six years, if the original title owner appears and wants their car, the new title owner will give the vehicle back or write a check for $5000, regardless of the car's condition.

So before you sign on the dotted line to purchase a title bond, you better be 100% certain, like Bill, that the car wasn't stolen because no matter how much time and money you put into this newly titled car, it can go back to the previous owner without a penny coming your way.

how to get a bond

http://www.surety1.com/suretybonds/d...-bond/app-info
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM

heres a vid from the startup this morning,she started makinga rattling noise from the rear of the engine,hard to hear it from the vid....but here it is!

oil pressure is halfway up the gauge in idle.
ive unplugged 1 plug wire at a time to rule out rod bearings/wrist pin ect.
no change in ratteling sound,its not in the valve train either

Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by igotit
i already ran both vins with my local pd,and state pd,and dmv,and my insurance company,nothing came back as stolen......but it may not have been reported.
i just dont know!
ill contact the missi dmv soon.

If VIN comes back cleen in MS.... I would pull it in the back yard and use parts off of it as-needed, When your done or have used all that is good, bring it to the junk yard..You dont have to have a title for a parts truck in La to my knowledge.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM

As far as the '82, have you ruled out a bad pully bearing? sounds more like a clicking than a knock to me....IDK? Right before i slung a rod in the 22R for my '83 it was MUCH louder than that......lol...Hopefully its nothing major though. What weight oil are you running in it?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM

oil that was recomended at autozone was 15-40w,plus i used 1 pint of stp engine restore added to the oil.
i dint have a rod or bearing knock,my valves are good.i thought about a pully,but the noise seems to be louder under the engine/flywheel area.
ill do so more research soon.

Quick Reply: my toyota experience begins!