Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22R Desmog Tutorial

Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Force0321
New here and have been reading this desmog topic extensively for the past week. I picked up an '85 Xcab 4wd flatbed w/22R last November and after fixing the rusted out frame on both sides behind the cab, am finally at the desmog stage.Just wanted to say a BIG Thank You to everyone that has commented on this thread with tips and tricks for the desmog.
My LCE block off kit and carb should be here tomorrow. I'm doing the head gasket while I have everything stripped down.
Anyone that is needing takeoff smog crap complete with a working stock carb (elect choke) shoot me a PM with an offer. ( I'm located in Montana) CHEAP!
If no one from this forum claims your stuff you can sell it on Craigslist. Instead of dealing with a million people by selling the parts individually, I sold it as a package only. It took a couple months of renewing my ad every few days but eventually someone bought the big box of junk and I think it paid for most of my desmog and new carb.
The following users liked this post:
Force0321 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magentawave
If no one from this forum claims your stuff you can sell it on Craigslist. Instead of dealing with a million people by selling the parts individually, I sold it as a package only. It took a couple months of renewing my ad every few days but eventually someone bought the big box of junk and I think it paid for most of my desmog and new carb.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm removing the last of the junk tonight. All I have left are the 2 charcoal canisters.
I'll list the whole box of crap for sale once I'm done.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by rickc5
Link to my other post re: the weber conversion;

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...erized-303823/
Rick,
Did you every re-jet from the stock weber jets that were installed in the carb?
I live at 5000 feet and bought the jet kit from LCE for high elevation ( manual choke) #1035029 but after reading the tech article, jetting for high elevation, it looks like the jet kit that has the jets i need is the High elev kit, elect choke only #1035002.
My carb kit ( manual choke ), fuel press reg and block off plate kit should arrive today.
Should I just leave the stock jets in when I install the carb, or rejet it before I install it?
Thanks

Last edited by Force0321; 01-30-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Rick,
Did you every re-jet from the stock weber jets that were installed in the carb?
I live at 5000 feet and bought the jet kit from LCE for high elevation ( manual choke) #1035029 but after reading the tech article, jetting for high elevation, it looks like the jet kit that has the jets i need is the High elev kit, elect choke only #1035002.
My carb kit ( manual choke ), fuel press reg and block off plate kit should arrive today.
Should I just leave the stock jets in when I install the carb, or rejet it before I install it?
Thanks
Hi Force
Welcome
I'm in the process of a ground up. I purchased the weber 32/36 from LCE also. After doing research and a few tips from L5wolvesf he helped me with the jets sizes for high altitude, I'm at 5500 ASL. I didn't think that the high altitude kit had the jets in it that I wanted to use so I bought the jets separately online from here
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=WEBERDGVJ
Do the research to find out what are good choices "to start" You really have to do a lot of trial and error to find out what the right combination of jets will work best for your altitude.
I went with a manual chock, don't want a wire doing it, I'd rather pull the choke cable and have "complete control" of the carburetor, that's just me
Good luck
Force0321 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Hi Force
Welcome
I'm in the process of a ground up. I purchased the weber 32/36 from LCE also. After doing research and a few tips from L5wolvesf he helped me with the jets sizes for high altitude, I'm at 5500 ASL. I didn't think that the high altitude kit had the jets in it that I wanted to use so I bought the jets separately online from here
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=WEBERDGVJ
Do the research to find out what are good choices "to start" You really have to do a lot of trial and error to find out what the right combination of jets will work best for your altitude.
I went with a manual chock, don't want a wire doing it, I'd rather pull the choke cable and have "complete control" of the carburetor, that's just me
Good luck
Thanks!
I'm gonna just see how it runs with the stock jets first. Do you happen to know what jet sizes you used for your elevation? I'd like to be able to jet from 3k-8k elev.
below are the stock jet sizes:
In RED are what jets I think needs to be in ( for around 5k elev) according to LCE's high altitude jetting tech article( IF I interpreted it correctly)
  • Main Jet 140 (130)
  • Secondary Jet 140 (130)
  • Primary Idle 60 (55)
  • Secondary Idle 50 (45)
  • Air Correction (Primary) 170 (190)
  • Air Correction (Secondary) 160 (180)
  • Pump Nozzle 50
This is what LCE says to jet for High Altitude:
Idle Jets: You will normally need to drop 1 Idle jet size (Meaning a step of 5. 50 to 45) for every 2000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets smaller than your starting point.
Main Jets: You will normally need to drop 1 main jet size (Meaning a step of 5. 150 to 145) for every 1000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets smaller than your starting point.
Air Jets: You will normally need to Increase 2 Air jet sizes (Meaning a step of 10. 150 to 160) for every 1000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets Larger than your starting point.

I'll hit up google and see what I can find.

Last edited by Force0321; 01-30-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Thanks!
I'm gonna just see how it runs with the stock jets first. Do you happen to know what jet sizes you used for your elevation? I'd like to be able to jet from 3k-8k elev.
In RED are what jets I think needs to be in ( for around 5k elev) according to LCE's high altitude jetting tech article( IF I interpreted it correctly)
  • Main Jet 140 (130)
  • Secondary Jet 140 (130)
  • Primary Idle 60 (55)
  • Secondary Idle 50 (45)
  • Air Correction (Primary) 170 (190)
  • Air Correction (Secondary) 160 (180)
  • Pump Nozzle 50
This is what LCE says to jet for High Altitude:
Idle Jets: You will normally need to drop 1 Idle jet size (Meaning a step of 5. 50 to 45) for every 2000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets smaller than your starting point.
Main Jets: You will normally need to drop 1 main jet size (Meaning a step of 5. 150 to 145) for every 1000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets smaller than your starting point.
Air Jets: You will normally need to Increase 2 Air jet sizes (Meaning a step of 10. 150 to 160) for every 1000 feet above 3000 feet of altitude. This assumes the car ran properly at seal level. If you have No Sea Level Reference then you just have to get a range of jets Larger than your starting point.

[QUOTE=Force0321;52417276]Thanks!

Those stock jets were installed for I believe 0-2000 sea level, they won't work at our altitude, they'll work, but not very well.
I'd have to go look at my chart to see what jets I decided " to will start with"

T
Be careful there: Besides what certain people on this and other forums say, google "could be" your friend, many people post things online, many are good, and there are many that don't know what there're talking about , Just saying, be careful

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 01-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Force0321 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:54 AM

[QUOTE=NYHumpinUtah;52417286]
Thanks!

Those stock jets were installed for I believe 0-2000 sea level, they won't work at our altitude, they'll work, but not very well.
I'd have to go look at my chart to see what jets I decided " to will start with"

Be careful there: Besides what certain people on this and other forums say, google "could be" your friend, many people post things online, many are good, and there are many that don't know what there're talking about , Just saying, be careful
What??? The interwebs is always right!
Except when it's wrong!
I get what you are saying.
I'll play around with the jetting until I get it running right.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
FWIW, I live at 4800 ft elevation, and while my '83 ran more-or-less OK after the Weber 32/36 install, I bought the jet kit from LCE just to see if I could improve the truck's drivability. I started by changing the primary idle jet to one that was one size smaller. Oh yeah, I firmly believe in only making ONE change at a time. The idle improved noticeably, and the truck moved away from idle better/smoother. So, I then quit changing jets, as I have no interest in gas mileage, just how the truck drives, which it does very well now. I think I'm done.
Force0321 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 AM

FWIW, I live at 4800 ft elevation, and while my '83 ran more-or-less OK after the Weber 32/36 install, I bought the jet kit from LCE just to see if I could improve the truck's drivability. I started by changing the primary idle jet to one that was one size smaller. Oh yeah, I firmly believe in only making ONE change at a time. The idle improved noticeably, and the truck moved away from idle better/smoother. So, I then quit changing jets, as I have no interest in gas mileage, just how the truck drives, which it does very well now. I think I'm done.
That's good to know. I/we wish you would have kept going with the rest of the jets. I believe the more efficient the truck runs the better it is on all the components of the truck, not only gas mileage. Post some pics of your rig
Hump
Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM

Rick,
I saw your build thread after I asked about your jetting. I think I'll go with your approach.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 AM

That's good to know. I/we wish you would have kept going with the rest of the jets. I believe the more efficient the truck runs the better it is on all the components of the truck, not only gas mileage. Post some pics of your rig
Hump
I plan on doing one jet at a time until It runs good, then will change jets based on LCE's high altitude recommendations. If it runs worse i'll backtrack.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 PM

heater problems

what did u do about the heater where did u hook it up to when u the egr delete
Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by sasquatch35
what did u do about the heater where did u hook it up to when u the egr delete
I haven’t gotten that far yet,rebuilding the motor at the moment.
On my ‘85 pickup there Is an inlet and outlet for the heater core.
I plan on running one line to the the water outlet on the drivers side of the timing cover, the other line will go to the fitting on the bottom of the LCE intake manifold plate.
Unsure at the moment what to do with the valve for the heater control.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Why not just leave the heater hoses the way they are?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Because there are 3 hoses that come off that valve.
I’m leaving the hose that goes to the drivers side timing cover. Other hose will go to the bottom of the intake. I’m thinking the 3rd spot on the valve I’ll cap off as I have nowhere to plumb it to after the desmog.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

ok figured out the heater hose routing.
Left the stock hose from heater core connected to drivers side , back of timing cover. Other short hose from heater core stays connected to the valve.
Long hose from valve goes to the fitting on the bottom of the LCE intake plate.

Desmog and Rebuild is complete and I started it for the 1st time Thursday night. Had to keep choke (manual choke ) at half way to keep it running. Shut it off and readjusted idle and fuel mixture per Weber instructions.
Fired it back up and it idles nice and smooth now, no choke. Let it idle for around 20 minutes. Still running stock Jets for now.
Have a small water leak at thermostat housing.
Fixed that last night, hopefully.
Will start it up this afternoon after work and check for leaks again. Gonna attempt to get it out of my shop and go for a test drive
Still have 3’ of snow on the ground.

22R rebuilt
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 AM

Congrads, you are in the final stages. Glad to hear, gives me inspiration to work on mine, like you, got the cold weather and the snow to deal with.
I am thinking about putting the drivers side pipe from the timing chain cover back on. I removed it and put the block off plate on but If I put the original pipe back on it would end up being a shorter water hose from it to the valve. Otherwise the water hose would have to come off the water pipe down by the motor mount and that run is a lot longer.
Guess I'll figure it out when I get there.
Again, congrads, Enjoy your test drive.
Force0321 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Congrads, you are in the final stages. Glad to hear, gives me inspiration to work on mine, like you, got the cold weather and the snow to deal with.
I am thinking about putting the drivers side pipe from the timing chain cover back on. I removed it and put the block off plate on but If I put the original pipe back on it would end up being a shorter water hose from it to the valve. Otherwise the water hose would have to come off the water pipe down by the motor mount and that run is a lot longer.
Guess I'll figure it out when I get there.
Again, congrads, Enjoy your test drive.
Thanks Mike!

In the above photo you can see the hose and pipe on the drivers side you are talking about.. I just disconnected it from the timing cover then bolted it back up after I reinstalled the timing cover. Passenger side has the LCE plate.
it's a lot less hose using the factory steel line. My longest, and only non stock hose was the one from the heater valve to the bottom of the plate on the intake. It comes of the valve, loops down and behind the head to the intake.
I also think i need to swap my vacuum line on the dist to the back port after re-reading some of Kawa's posts.

Last edited by Force0321; 03-16-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I think I'm going to change it back to the steel pipe (original) and plumb from there. There should be a stock hose for that someplace that goes from the end of the pipe to the heater core, just have to find it. As far as the other hose connection down by the motor mount, I guess I'll just plug it.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:19 PM

Eacv

What exactly can be done with the EACV when desmogging? Can I just leave it, with the black canister attached on an 86 R22 or is there a block plate for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22R Desmog Tutorial